Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blasphemy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-11, 01:24 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Blasphemy?

Okay, some of you have offered up some really great knowledge and advice regarding my request for Campy 8-speed information. For those of you interested, or simply wondering why I'd want to go with 8-speed, brifters and all that when I've only ever used old-school 5- and 6-speed with down tube shifting, well, here it is:

Subject bike:

It's a 2002 Davidson (built right here in Seattle) that I specced as vintage in look but not in material. Frame is Reynolds 853 with a Henry James lug set and dropouts of unknown manufacture. It's pretty damn light, fits like a glove and is pretty damn stiff, too - climbs like a goat. 56cm square with a 130mm rear end - I guess when I originally made the order I figured I might get around to updating the components; I can't really recall. But that day is now here, regardless.

Well. I've seen lots of Forum members upgrading to modern stuff on vintage frames. So, I've decided to take the plunge and convert my newest bike.

So far, I've acquired a set of '92 first-generation Chorus Ergopower levers (fixing the issues on those as we speak), Chorus brake calipers (thanks to Shnibop), Chorus front and rear derailleurs (thanks to RogerM), Chorus 1"x24T headset ($65 from Ebay) and a Chorus 170mm crankset ($61 from Ebay; 50 and 39 rings - I'll have to locate a little bigger outer ring).

Headset:

When I saw the headset, I had to get it. Looks so organic and aero; it has rubber O-rings in both cups and the lock nut to keep out the grime. I was thinking of stripping and polishing it, but heck, it's in such nice original condition I've decided to leave it alone.

Crankset:

After protracted discussion on BBs and spindle lengths - chainrings as well - with several Forum members, I've been informed that this will work fine. Rings are apparently backwards-compatible as long as I use an 8-speed chain, and I'm looking for a 102mm spindle for my BB, with English threading.

I'll keep the bar/stem combo (Cinelli 1R with Campione del Mondos). And you know what? I am going to drill a little bit What and how is currently secret...

So, am I crazy? Do I now have a reservation in my name down in the Hot Place?

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys. I will continue to try to source the remaining components from Forum members as I'd like this to be a "group effort", as it were. Once the transformation is complete I'll be calling everyone out as regards their contributions.

Weigh in with your opinions - or just watch this space for updates. Cheers!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 06-02-21 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 12-24-11, 01:34 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Oh nooooo! Drillium Dude!
Tell me it isn't so!

You can't be going over to the dark (brifter) side!

It's not too late though: You can CANCEL that reservation in the Hot Place just by keeping that DT shifter.
Please take heed - we're trying to save your soul here!
Old 12-24-11, 01:36 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it.
Old 12-24-11, 01:48 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I'm a certified C&V person, but when I spec'd the components for my new Waterford RS-22 in 2007, I went with Campy Record 10-s. I had never used brifters, but the opinions of some here (like bigbossman) convinced me I'd love them. I do, and I'll pretty much guarantee you will too.

Do it, and don't worry about going to the hot place.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-24-11, 02:01 PM
Japanamount

Bikes: 1991 Schwinn Paramount Series 5 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29'r

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If "brifters" condem one to the place where there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth, then I reckon I'll be headed there. Back when I lived in Southern California, I did most of my riding down the "ditches" -concrete channelized river courses for flood control, wherin the elevated service roads serve as "bicycle freeways." And since they lead to and from the ocean, I did a lot of riding along Pacific Coast Highway, too. Riding on what was, for the most part, relatively flat ground, I looked at "brifters" as a gimmick. Didn't see the need..... Now that I live in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains, I definitely see some advantage to being able to shift while on the brake hoods, without moving the hands from them. With this different frame of reference, "brifters" are seeming more like a step forward to me.

The OP's Davidson is BEAUTIFUL (yeah, I'm shouting that) and I don't see "brifters" spoiling it.

So, OP, "brift" away..........

J.
Old 12-24-11, 02:06 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
That is one seriously pretty bicycle you have there DD.

Careful when you bring her out to Minnesota, you might just have to leave her here!

BTW I use bar ends, DTs, and mostly Ergos.

Even a little STI.

You will have zero problem enjoying the daylights out of 8 speed Campy.

..and it looks like you are off to the races collecting very nice examples for the complete gruppo.

A smooth transition awaits you.
Old 12-24-11, 02:07 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll receive no disparaging comments from me. I love modern bike tech, and as you likely know, I'm one of the major proponents of using modern parts (and modern fit more-so) on vintage frames in this forum. I'm am not however, cool enough to be using Campagnolo on my bikes. I will enjoy seeing what you come up with. Your builds are some of the best I've seen.
Old 12-24-11, 02:17 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Here are the brake calipers; traded Shnibop some drillium for these - I think I'll want to upgrade the pads to something modern, like some Kool Stop inserts I have just waiting for that special build. Since they're orange, this must be it:

Some great points brought up already. I particularly agree with the point made about being able to shift from the hoods while climbing! I also like the fact that modern drivetrains go down to 39 teeth in the front. This setup will allow me a lot more latitude when it comes to saving my knees for my Golden Years

Auchen: I guess I could always compromise - brifter for the rear derailleur, down tube shifter for the front

Actually, that's not so strange - check this out:

This setup is what Jack of 43bikes.com uses on his Baylis. I'm currently doing a drillium project on modern components for him which inspired me to do a little bit on mine. I won't touch the brifters with the drill, though. Other parts, yes. But just a little - more for looks and to be a little different.

Thanks for the nice comments and opinions so far

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-25-11 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-24-11, 02:18 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by rat fink
You'll receive no disparaging comments from me. I love modern bike tech, and as you likely know, I'm one of the major proponents of using modern parts (and modern fit more-so) on vintage frames in this forum. I'm am not however, cool enough to be using Campagnolo on my bikes. I will enjoy seeing what you come up with. Your builds are some of the best I've seen.
Sure you're cool enough.

They let me buy the stuff, so that opens her right up for lots of folks.
Old 12-24-11, 02:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by gomango
Sure you're cool enough.

Old 12-24-11, 02:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Hardly blasphemy. The frame fits me, so if you get feeling really guilty, I can help you with that problem.

I also heartily approve of the 8-sp/9-sp Ergo look. They tend to mimic aero brake levers well, so the look of the bike stays similar. As the owner of a complete 8-sp Chorus Ergo group, all I can say is that you'll like it. No ambiguity in the shifting.

If what you are doing is blasphemy, then, well, my next two scheduled builds are gonna have me in the flames as well.

Unwittingly, you may have just helped me make a decision on my brevet bike build, too. Behind you 100%
Old 12-24-11, 03:08 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Hey, those Space Shuttle bar wraps on that Baylis are blasphemy. What you're doing pales by comparison ...you heathen.
Old 12-24-11, 03:17 PM
auchencrow

Repent I say! -Or you'll end up like this!

Old 12-24-11, 03:18 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
You're not crazy at all. Read above...there are plenty in the same crazy ward as you. I have ergos and bar ends on all of my bicycles. Cross and Road bikes. The campy 8 speed was my mayflower, I came over and decided to stay. I absolutely love them and have a stock of rings and cogs, the same brakeset as pictured above (the brake pads work just fine), front and rear derailleurs, and i am not into my golden years but i have a racing T crankset lying in wait. The hardest part i have come up against with 8 speed was just recently in my search for a nice campy 8 speed wheelset. I wanted to upgrade my classic Bianchi with a nicer 8 speed set. Still looking for a nice wheelset. But they have proven to be a more expensive and tough find. I did find that i run a chorus 9 speed rear derailleur with the 8 speed cogs and shifters. And i look forward to seeing the drillium results on those campy rings!

Walt
Old 12-24-11, 03:37 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by pamaguahiker
You're not crazy at all. Read above...there are plenty in the same crazy ward as you. I have ergos and bar ends on all of my bicycles. Cross and Road bikes. The campy 8 speed was my mayflower, I came over and decided to stay. I absolutely love them and have a stock of rings and cogs, the same brakeset as pictured above (the brake pads work just fine), front and rear derailleurs, and i am not into my golden years but i have a racing T crankset lying in wait. The hardest part i have come up against with 8 speed was just recently in my search for a nice campy 8 speed wheelset. I wanted to upgrade my classic Bianchi with a nicer 8 speed set. Still looking for a nice wheelset. But they have proven to be a more expensive and tough find. I did find that i run a chorus 9 speed rear derailleur with the 8 speed cogs and shifters. And i look forward to seeing the drillium results on those campy rings!

Walt
Pm me.

I've got a couple of very nice Campy 8 speed wheelsets in the basement.
Old 12-24-11, 03:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Interesting takes from all of you on this.

I have a few brifter trash bikes, that came that way at purchase.

One is Shimano (DA), the other two incarnations of Campy. All are
8 cog rears, because I am phobic about narrower chains than those.

Here are some obligatory show off pictures:

All of this is only an excuse to say that I, too, think
they work swell, and are a particularly nice feature
on the tourist. But they are expensive and I hope
to god I can figure out how to fix them when and if
the time comes.........I probably ought to be working
on that now.

As much as I dislike Shimano as a company, the DA brifter
setup shifts more cleanly, positively, and with a shorter throw
than either of my Campy equipped bikes. It is possible I
am not familiar enough with them to set them up as well,
but I do not think so.....and I had to do considerable repair
and replacement in the drive train on the Battaglin, which is
the Shimano equipped bike. The others were pretty low miles
when I got them. File this in the FWIW folder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bob Jackson (touring) 008.jpg (97.4 KB, 382 views)
Miele Bicycle 001.jpg (96.2 KB, 391 views)
Battaglin 006.jpg (95.3 KB, 377 views)
Bob Jackson (touring) 013.jpg (100.8 KB, 389 views)
Bob Jackson (touring) 012.jpg (97.8 KB, 388 views)
Battaglin ride 2-20-11 003.jpg (103.8 KB, 398 views)
Old 12-24-11, 03:54 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

That's some funky weird looking bar tape!
Lance Armstrong actually had his mountain stage bikes configured this way during his earlier TdF wins.

Your Davidson is very tasty! Burn in hell? Don't worry, you'll have a lot of company and see familiar faces LOL! I don't think there is a problem with embracing new technology. It's the blind condemnation of older systems just because it's not new and preaching that position when so many have little depth and breadth with past offerings. And better doesn't mean absolute necessity for everyone.

I like flexibility, and like the fact the Davidson was spec-ed with DT bosses. So many new frames have cable adjusters TIG-ed to the head tube or brazed to the head lug. IMHO, aesthetics of Campy <2008 Ergo was better than current offerings, and better than STi. Too much abandonment of usage from the drops, to predominant hood riding, is the 'fault'.
It's not just the ingredients, but the skillful execution. Let's face it, some of you guys just know how to cook! I have no doubt this Davidson is going to be hot.
I look forward to its transformation.
Old 12-24-11, 04:05 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
approved!
Old 12-24-11, 04:15 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by auchencrow
Repent I say! -Or you'll end up like this!

Another good reason to keep the faith with this project - the women wouldn't let me alone if I were to become as cute as that little kitty

Just finished stripping the frame down completely except for the BB and headset. Which reminds me:

With the exception of the Superleggeri pedals, chain, wheelset and bar/stem combo, I will be selling off all the Super/Nuovo stuff from the original build. The perforated Flite will also go.

And, since I've only ever posted the garage door shot of the bike, here are a few shots of the frame's details:

Bye-bye (sniff...)

I'll be listing the parts after the holidays on the "For Sale or Trade" thread, but will gladly trade across-the-board for the rest of the parts to complete the build. A list:

* 102mm English-threaded BB, preferably Chorus or Record, sealed-bearing cartridge type Now have - Chorus thanks to Ebay!
* Chorus alloy or Record titanium seatpost - the recent type - 27.2mm Now have (Record Ti) - thanks to Champion City!
* Campy Ergo brake/gear cable set
* Campy shifter boss cable adjusters (did they make any that had metal vice plastic barrels?) Now have - thanks to RobbieTunes!
* Campy 8-speed chain On its way
* 53T chainring with lots of life remaining (135BCD, right?)
* Skewers for Chorus/Record hubset Aftermarket Ti skewers on their way

Personally, I agree with Robbie's assessment that the Ergos look a lot like aero brake levers - plus the ones I got with the black coating already removed will polish up well and add a touch of bling. Since I've been cleaning them up, I've become intimately aware of the level of attention to detail involved in their manufacture. These Ergos are really a fine piece of engineering!

So, until I put prices on the stuff coming off the Davidson, if you can lend assistance with the missing puzzle pieces, PM me and we can strike a deal. And I can even perform a little drillium before they ship out if you are so inclined

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-18-12 at 07:13 PM. Reason: UPDATED NEEDS LIST
Old 12-24-11, 04:23 PM
auchencrow

Wow -what a gorgeous frame!
Old 12-24-11, 04:30 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I love that color ! No problems with what you do to your own bike, ever. They are ours to enjoy in the present but with an eye on the future.

3SS
Old 12-24-11, 04:54 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Sure you're cool enough.

yesssss...
Old 12-24-11, 05:09 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Beautiful frame. Really like the color as well. Monday I am dropping off my Appel frame for a repaint and am leaning towards orange, although I am still being tugged towards black and maybe red. Not feeling any quilt at all in using STIs. Only problem for me is choosing between a 7800 or 7700 build.
Old 12-24-11, 05:25 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
It's Christmas Eve. This is the 24th post. I absolve you of all sin and say "Go for it!" Merry Christmas!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-24-11, 05:50 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Bike Forums!

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.