Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Older Garmins won’t work with new HR straps?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Older Garmins won’t work with new HR straps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 02:49 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
(It's deliberate. This site doesn't want to be "spammed" from people from that "other" site.)

I'd also send an email to Wahoo (which I would rate as slightly more valuable than "pushing on" the Garmin CSRs).
Good idea. Didn't think about that.
I know less than nothing about all this blue toothed ant plus other stuff but perhaps with these new HR straps that do so much more than transmit HR data, there is too much info coming down the "pipe". I got the simplest of the Wahoo straps but still it might be too much for a 10 or 12 year old watch to make sense of.
Old 10-10-22, 03:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I know less than nothing about all this blue toothed ant plus other stuff but perhaps with these new HR straps that do so much more than transmit HR data, there is too much info coming down the "pipe". I got the simplest of the Wahoo straps but still it might be too much for a 10 or 12 year old watch to make sense of.
​​​​​​Bluetooth and ANT+ are two different ways of moving data around wirelessly. That's all you really need to know. A device can do either, both, or neither of them. All Garmins have always supported ANT+, they started supporting Bluetooth also, but only in the last few years. Most smart phones do Bluetooth but only some can do ANT+ so a lot of people want Bluetooth and accessories that support it have been plentiful.
Old 10-10-22, 03:10 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Wahoo, being the "underdog" has a bit more motivation than Garmin to have the information.

Kinda.

The way ANT+ (and BT) work is having "profiles" that describe the properties/data of the sensor. Each class of device has its own profile. These profiles are standard but new ones are created.

This means that just being ANT+ isn't sufficient: the device also has to have the correct profile for the device you are connecting to. This is the piece that "someone else" is missing/not-understanding. He thinks that all HRMs are the same (the webpage you found clearly says they are not all the same).

The Garmin webpage you found strongly suggests that the newer Garmin HRM profiles are different/new. The newer Wahoo HRMs have new features but it's not clear whether they use new profiles or can support old profiles.

If the "head unit" firmware is still being updated, then, often, the head unit can be updated to handle new profiles. Your device's firmware isn't being updated (and hasn't been updated in a long while).

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-10-22 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 10-12-22, 02:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
FYI the 255 is on sale at Amazon. It's incredibly feature packed if you can live without a touch screen.