Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

My Garmin 1030+ now thinks every ride is the longest one.

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

My Garmin 1030+ now thinks every ride is the longest one.

Old 10-12-22, 05:54 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Then why are you telling people they have to do this manually????
It appears it fixed his problem.

If I recall, deleting them has fixed similar issues.

​​​​​​And using icons to show your lack of understanding?
That was in reply to your dumb "infinity" comment.
Old 10-12-22, 06:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It appears it fixed his problem.

If I recall, deleting them has fixed similar issues.

That was in reply to your dumb "infinity" comment.
Why did you say people need to manually delete old activities? That's not true at all.
Old 10-12-22, 06:27 PM
njkayaker

Why did you say people need to manually delete old activities? That's not true at all.
Sure, it looks like it shouldn’t be necessary unless there’s a problem.

There was a problem. Deleting the files manually appears to have fixed it.
Old 10-12-22, 06:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sure, it looks like it shouldn’t be necessary unless there’s a problem.
You said a true thing!! 😁 I bet it wasn't even that hard for you. 🙂
Old 10-12-22, 06:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
So, there is a limit. When does it do that?

aweatherall over 2 years ago
aweatherall says that the device deletes old ones.

There isn't a strong reason to have so many activities on the device. Seems easy enough to see if deleting them fixes the problem.

I immediately upload my activities after each ride and rename them to something better than the generic "slow feeble afternoon ride" on Strava. If they haven't uploaded to Strava within minutes of completion, it means I hallucinated the ride, and have to repeat it. This can get especially cumbersome if it involves a commute to or from work.

My Garmin dash cam deletes the oldest files when the memory card approaches full capacity. I am not sure exactly what percent of full this corresponds to, but with the Edge it sounds like 200 files is the cutoff. I could see how that might be problematic if someone created huge ride files, say by sleeping without terminating a ride for weeks at a time. So if they indeed implemented it that way, they didn't anticipate the pathological exceptional case.

I don't know if it is user-configurable, but many OS for such devices let you choose to save a week of files, a month, or whatever, or delete them after upload (which has a slight risk). Garmin seems to hard-wire a lot of this stuff. More choices = more user error.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-12-22, 06:50 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I immediately upload my activities after each ride and rename them to something better than the generic "slow feeble afternoon ride" on Strava. If they haven't uploaded to Strava within minutes of completion, it means I hallucinated the ride, and have to repeat it. This can get especially cumbersome if it involves a commute to or from work.

My Garmin dash cam deletes the oldest files when the memory card approaches full capacity. I am not sure exactly what percent of full this corresponds to, but with the Edge it sounds like 200 files is the cutoff. I could see how that might be problematic if someone created huge ride files, say by sleeping without terminating a ride for weeks at a time. So if they indeed implemented it that way, they didn't anticipate the pathological exceptional case.

I don't know if it is user-configurable, but many OS for such devices let you choose to save a week of files, a month, or whatever, or delete them after upload (which has a slight risk). Garmin seems to hard-wire a lot of this stuff. More choices = more user error.
I ride too often to bother I use the Garmin to record my rides mostly. on my commutes and our tandem. this is a typical day though we did not ride the tandem this evening so its one ride short.
Old 10-12-22, 06:53 PM
njkayaker

You said a true thing!! 😁 I bet it wasn't even that hard for you. 🙂
My suggestion fixed the problem.

You are just whining uselessly and provided no help at all. So, go ahead and be proud of that.

It’s hard to recall things one has read awhile ago exactly. But it seems there can be issues with too many activity files.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-12-22 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 06:59 PM
njkayaker

The Edges are supposed to delete the old files too.

It’s hard to remember stuff one has read a while ago but I recall more than one case where deleting the activity files fixed problems.

It’s possible that the “make space” thing on the Edges can break and make deleting the activities necessary.
Old 10-12-22, 07:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
The Edges are supposed to delete the old files too.

It’s hard to remember stuff one has read a while ago but I recall more than one case where deleting the activity files fixed problems.

It’s possible that the “make space” thing on the Edges can break and make deleting the activities necessary.
which is why I wrote, in post 22:

Once it reaches the (small, finite) limit (aka capacity), it (the Garmin's firmware) auto-deletes the oldest files first. You shouldn't have to delete anything manually.

(However, it might be worth deleting stuff manually, just in case there is a corrupted file or something that is causing the issue.)
Old 10-13-22, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
The OS's on these devices likely isn't the fanciest. So memory allocation and management probably isn't very sophisticated. There might be a possibility that the programming on the device might want to use some of the storage outside of it's hidden inaccessible partition. I've always been in the habit of copying all my rides to a archive folder on my PC and deleting rides from my Garmin's since my first Edge 500 and I've never had the weird issues of corrupted files or other issues some grouse about.