Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2021 race stories

Old 11-08-21, 02:01 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I won the "Lion's Den" amateur crit last weekend!

We asked to get invited to the "pro" race but were denied, so we figured the best way to prove we deserve it was to win the "people's race."

Fun event overall. Podium was legit, even if it was hours after my race. Nice way to end the season for sure.

my race videos
Old 11-08-21, 07:57 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Congrats
Old 11-09-21, 08:58 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I won the "Lion's Den" amateur crit last weekend!

We asked to get invited to the "pro" race but were denied, so we figured the best way to prove we deserve it was to win the "people's race."

Fun event overall. Podium was legit, even if it was hours after my race. Nice way to end the season for sure.
Ha love the scream at the line! So awesome.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 11-09-21, 09:02 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
To have that sprint for the win (was that like a minute sprint?) and then still have the wind to scream? Wow.
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-12-21, 03:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
CX-Mas race. Holeshot. First lap holeshot free spiked eggnog shot on backstretch. Guy divebombed a corner hot inside and cost me spots early. Gained back to 4th. Always a very fun Christmas event.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-14-22, 12:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Bariani RR (60 miles (3 laps of 20)). Masters 50+ 1/2/3. No teammates, which I thought might be fun to just freelance. The problem was that I missed the break, which got established on the narrowest and crappyest part of the course. The big teams like Peet's, Thirsty Bear, and Coretech were all represented so no one was interested in chasing. When the road widened I took a shot at bridging but no one came with, I didn't make it, and sat up. Rode the rest of the race in the main bunch, more like a Saturday group ride. Oh well. Still a nice ride, had decent fitness, and didn't flat, drop a chain, or crash, unlike more than a few people.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-14-22, 05:18 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
That's a tough group to be chasing solo. Good job on taking a shot. It's been a while, but the last time I did that race, I remember the road condition being somewhere between Snelling and Copperopolis.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 03-14-22, 05:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
That's a tough group to be chasing solo. Good job on taking a shot. It's been a while, but the last time I did that race, I remember the road condition being somewhere between Snelling and Copperopolis.
It's gotten worse actually. Every year, I say to myself "Why didn't I bring my cross bike?"
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-15-22, 06:50 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 1,633 Posts
FYI guys we do have a 2022 thread started
Old 03-16-22, 01:56 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Bariani RR (60 miles (3 laps of 20)). Masters 50+ 1/2/3. No teammates, which I thought might be fun to just freelance. The problem was that I missed the break, which got established on the narrowest and crappyest part of the course. The big teams like Peet's, Thirsty Bear, and Coretech were all represented so no one was interested in chasing. When the road widened I took a shot at bridging but no one came with, I didn't make it, and sat up. Rode the rest of the race in the main bunch, more like a Saturday group ride. Oh well. Still a nice ride, had decent fitness, and didn't flat, drop a chain, or crash, unlike more than a few people.
So cool to have a 50+ 1/2/3 field. Racing over here in the UK now, it's great to have such good attendance at races, and lots of races, but they'll almost never have any Masters fields (it's all just category fields, and usually just one, like 3/4, 2/3/4, 1/2/3, on the day).