Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter gloves that works with liner gloves

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter gloves that works with liner gloves

Old 11-11-22, 07:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Lastly, a question about BarMitts - can you use both the drops and the brake hoods while riding or are you limited to just one (and do you get to choose which)?
on mine I rarely use the drops. I can but not with the hands in the mitts. so I'm up on top, on the hoods or other variations of that. they do make units that allow inside use of the drops but I don't have those. my winter riding is not as assertive so I'm OK with that but I do have to remind myself that my braking won't be as strong, unless I have a hand outside & squeezing the neoprene to get the brakes at max pressure. more of my winter riding is on the MTB or hybrid w/ studded tires. in order for me to enjoy a drop bar bike ride when it's cold enough for those mitts, the ground has to be free of winter hazards. it happens a cpl times each winter, but since there's usually stuff on the ground, I'm usually on the straight bar bikes

a cpl other hand positions w/ diff. gloves

I don't usually but I have used chem heat packs in there

side view. so if you want to use the drops just have a good glove on & grab a handful of neoprene to brake

the straight bar mitts are a better overall solution. I guess they come in diff. sizes. I didn't know that when I bought mine. I can get my hands in in out just fine but I guess I could use a size larger but I don't need them

on a cold, raw, wet day you can get by w/ just glove liners

too many pics, sorry, I have a problem

for a long time, including the year I commuted 26 miles round trip year round I was using wind stopper type gloves with large dept. store gloves. beat the heck out of them. they weren't the best solution but they worked well enough for several years

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-11-22 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-11-22, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
when it is super nasty out, why put all the burden on a glove?

too many pics of my mitts

good for spring rides in shorts when it's still cold enough to chill the fingers. fun to ride w/ no gloves

they also function as a place to store your gloves during a pit stop. keeps them dry in wet snow, etc

2 pics, same day, same trail, 2 riders, 1 w/o mitts & 1 w/ mitts

both w/ balaclavas

just found this pic I think from the manufacturer that shows the typical hand position it was designed for

this bike vlogger has a little clip, just watched the 1st cpl seconds showing how the hand is inserted, etc

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-11-22 at 08:25 AM.