Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Bike Day

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-22, 08:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I doubt it, this guy just happened to be warranting a frame. The seat mast had a crack in it.
I'd be curious hoe much of the post was inserted into the mast.
Old 10-15-22, 10:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,005 Posts
I asked the same question, he should have had the longer post, but did not and it was right at the minimum insert and it cracked when he crossed over a rough rail road cross out west of town. The shop was actually shocked they approved it.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-15-22, 10:44 PM
Troul 

That makes sense & I agree, they got lucky with the coverage.

My post goes well far down in the mast, so i should be safe.
Old 10-16-22, 10:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Congrats! on not only the new bicycle, [b]but for also having a cool wife![b]
Amen to that! My wife only has bitter resentment for any new bike I might purchase, lol
Old 10-16-22, 10:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Amen to that! My wife only has bitter resentment for any new bike I might purchase, lol
Well that is never good. I have only gotten grief thrown at me one time, but it was semi warranted, so I can't complain. My wife is into card making, and I would bet that the cost of all of that stuff she has in her craft room far exceeds the cost of all of my bikes and then some. After our kids moved out, I turned one of the rooms into her craft room, designed and built out a custom closet that took some of the laundry room. Which really sucked as I had to move water, power, and dryer exhaust around.

Old 11-04-22, 02:45 PM
Troul 

The LBS contacted me stating the Domane has arrived. Scheduled to pick it up next week after they assemble it. Two Domanes are always better than one.
Old 11-04-22, 05:22 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
The LBS contacted me stating the Domane has arrived. Scheduled to pick it up next week after they assemble it. Two Domanes are always better than one.
Two Domanes instead of two sets of wheels. Good idea saves time.

I want a Checkpoint to go with my Domane. N+1 looks like it will be a Top Fuel 8. I need something to smooth the single track in place of the old 26er hard tail.

And you know pictures by the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month or it never happened.
Old 11-05-22, 10:23 AM
jaxgtr

Gen 4 model??

Old 11-05-22, 07:41 PM
Troul 

Gen 4 model??
yes. The relocation of the seat post hardware is something I feel should have been done to the older models.
Old 11-05-22, 08:54 PM
jaxgtr

yes. The relocation of the seat post hardware is something I feel should have been done to the older models.

Sweet. I absolutely love mine, I feed the ride is so much better than the Gen 3 model, and agree on the seat post.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-12-22, 03:41 PM
jaxgtr

Hey FYI on the Gen 4, they have these little rubber gromets on the top tube covering the bolt holes for the top tube bag mounts. When I was cleaning the bike the other day after getting caught in the rain, I did not realize that one of the grommets was pulled out, until today, about 45 miles into my ride. So realizing that if it can happen once, it will happen again, I figured, the little grommets suck and replaced them with some m5x8, ooops I meant m5x10, grub screws I had. They happen to be black so they match the bike pretty good, but I am going to see if I can find some black stainless versions, and if not, I will just use normal stainless and maybe put a little dob of silicone in the head so it will keep the water out. I figure if I need to remove it, I can pick the silicone out. I made sure to grease the screws before I put them in.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-12-22 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-12-22, 09:28 PM
Troul 

Hey FYI on the Gen 4, they have these little rubber gromets on the top tube covering the bolt holes for the top tube bag mounts. When I was cleaning the bike the other day after getting caught in the rain, I did not realize that one of the grommets was pulled out, until today, about 45 miles into my ride. So realizing that if it can happen once, it will happen again, I figured, the little grommets suck and replaced them with some m5x8, ooops I meant m5x10, grub screws I had. They happen to be black so they match the bike pretty good, but I am going to see if I can find some black stainless versions, and if not, I will just use normal stainless and maybe put a little dob of silicone in the head so it will keep the water out. I figure if I need to remove it, I can pick the silicone out. I made sure to grease the screws before I put them in.

imo, i'd use cross slotted mushroom nylon head screws or nylon trim panel screws if it's just to fill the hole.
Old 11-12-22, 09:36 PM
jaxgtr

imo, i'd use cross slotted mushroom nylon head screws or nylon trim panel screws if it's just to fill the hole.
Oh yea, good idea. I just put what I had in my toolbox. I will look for some of those.

Likes For jaxgtr: