Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Am I Nutz - - or Is $63 a Bit Much for a Tent Site?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Am I Nutz - - or Is $63 a Bit Much for a Tent Site?

Old 11-16-22, 06:23 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
There are tons of cheap and free camping in NY.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 11-16-22, 08:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Last year I camped at Taconic State Park. The Copake site. Don’t remember what it cost, but it was reasonable snd well worth it. They had recently built a new, huge bathhouse. Looked like the paint was still drying. You get your own private room with shower, toilet and sink. There is also a nice camp sink on one side of the building and a power outlet. It’s right along the latest extension of the Harlem Valley Trail. At the entrance, the former railroad station has been turned into a cafe/store. Highly recommend the site. Way better than the Rudd Pond site down the road.

A guy I know just happened to ride the trail the day before I was there. He got delayed.

Old 11-16-22, 08:31 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I tried to get a campsite last month in NY state and it was the same thing. Absolutely insane. I ended up just camping in some random bushes instead.
That's what we always did when I was a kid in upstate NY in the 70s. I gather it's much less accepted now.
Old 11-16-22, 09:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
When I was camping on my moto, by far the worst deal for a tent site was the KOA by the west entrance of Yosemite
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-16-22, 11:15 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I thought Europe was expensive, but their campgrounds have water parks, numerous sports, multiple restaurants...
One would think a patch of grass in the woods would be the most economical to camp
Old 11-17-22, 04:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I thought Europe was expensive, but their campgrounds have water parks, numerous sports, multiple restaurants...
One would think a patch of grass in the woods would be the most economical to camp
Some expensive US campgrounds have those amenities. For example, I can think of at least three I’ve stayed at that have hot tubs and pools. The KOA in Hill City, SD has a full service restaurant. So does the campground at the end of Rock Creek road in MT.
Old 11-17-22, 10:47 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
There are tons of cheap and free camping in NY if you are driving a car or have the freedom to go wherever you want.

If you are on a bike with a fixed destination on a two day weekend tour, you're limited to whatever campgrounds that exist close to where you need to be.

Presumably if the campsite are charging these prices then there must be people paying them. These prices are getting absolutely insane. There is no way I would pay more for a patch of dirt than a motel room.
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-17-22, 11:37 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
It may also be that they just want to keep the riff-raff in tents out.
Without actually have a "No Tents" rule - which lots of private campgrounds now have.
When you drop $350,000 for an RV, you don't want some people in an old Honda with a tent next to you.

I am of a certain vintage where I remember when 90% of the folks camping were tenting.
The people with trailers - and they were called trailers then - had small, sometimes homemade, units.
Now, quite a few state parks have all pull-thru sites with electricity, water & sewer. Sometimes even cable.
And, despite the quiet hours, the generators or at least the ACs run all night.
Not quite sure why they still use the term "camping".

Yes, there are a few public camp sites in the Delaware Water Gap area with moderate rates.
But in places like northern Ohio & Indiana, nearly all of the camping is private, pricey, and packed-in.
The few natural lakes in the lower Midwest have every inch of lakefront lined with summer cottages.
Maybe we should just sell lots on the edge of the Grand Canyon to pay off the national debt, eh?
My Grandmother had an Allegro and nobody called them trailers. Mobile Home, yep, even 45 years ago that's what they were called.
But the area could be called a trailer park. She and my Step-Grandfather would stay at Morris Meadows in Freeland Maryland which was called a Campsite & Park.

Hard to believe there was a TRAILER PARK right off York Road in Timonium into the mid 70's just south of Smyth......
Old 11-17-22, 01:59 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Originally Posted by Yan
There are tons of cheap and free camping in NY if you are driving a car or have the freedom to go wherever you want.

If you are on a bike with a fixed destination on a two day weekend tour, you're limited to whatever campgrounds that exist close to where you need to be.

Presumably if the campsite are charging these prices then there must be people paying them. These prices are getting absolutely insane. There is no way I would pay more for a patch of dirt than a motel room.
How did people survive without toilet paper?
Old 11-17-22, 02:33 PM
Yan 

I have toured through Cape Vincent. It is a beautiful area. From your perspective near the Adirondacks, I understand why you hold the belief that campsites are plentiful and cheap. However your experience is not equivalent to everyone's. That's only your experience in your own local area.

The Lower Hudson Valley down here near New York City cannot be compared to where you are by the Canadian border. It is a much denser region. Unfortunately as of 2022, this is how much commercial camp grounds cost anywhere within 100 miles of NYC. If you travel up closer to Albany I'm sure the costs will come down, but that's too far for a weekend bike tour out of New York City.

The OP is talking about the Delaware Water Gap, which is west of NYC on the border between NJ and PA. It is one of the most popular weekend destinations for New Yorkers. Anything anywhere near the City is outrageously priced as of 2022. I assume it's the same for Boston, Philadelphia, etc. The pandemic has apparently caused a surge of interest in the outdoors.

There are cheap state campgrounds down here but the supply is limited and they are all booked out long ago. Unless you plan your camping trips several months ahead, you have essentially zero chance of snagging one of these cheap sites. Personally, scheduling weekend camping trips several months ahead is not something that I can do practically.

Last edited by Yan; 11-17-22 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 04:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Old 11-17-22, 05:19 PM
Thulsadoom

Originally Posted by Yan
I have toured through Cape Vincent. It is a beautiful area. From your perspective near the Adirondacks, I understand why you hold the belief that campsites are plentiful and cheap. However your experience is not equivalent to everyone's. That's only your experience in your own local area.
You know where I've been? I must be famous!
Old 11-17-22, 05:25 PM
Yan 

You know where I've been? I must be famous!
On the left side of your posts, under your profile picture, it shows where your location is.
Old 11-17-22, 06:15 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Just FYI -

The good people of Westport, Oregon produce a large portion of the toilet paper used in the U.S.
Still on 24-hour shifts since the pandemic shortage. Always a demand for toilet paper.

Pic - Wauna Mill from the Cathlamet Ferry on a cold, rainy June day
Old 11-17-22, 09:26 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Just FYI -

The good people of Westport, Oregon produce a large portion of the toilet paper used in the U.S.
Still on 24-hour shifts since the pandemic shortage. Always a demand for toilet paper.

Pic - Wauna Mill from the Cathlamet Ferry on a cold, rainy June day
That looks a lot like the border between Longview, Washington and Rainier, Oregon, on the Columbia River. That's a steep & long bridge, that takes some real effort to cross. 😉

Back on topic, I never pay to camp, it's just too easy to stealth camp, as has been mentioned. 😎
Old 11-17-22, 09:32 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Yan
On the left side of your posts, under your profile picture, it shows where your location is.
Unless you're on a cell phone. The mobile version of BF doesn't show that, or sigs, or probably lots of stuff. 🙈😉
Old 11-17-22, 11:30 PM
Rumpled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In California State Parks $65 is a pretty typical price for a no hookup site. More like $80 for hookups. That would be for typical car camping sites. sites. If you are bike touring, these might be the sites you stop in. Reservations can be made 6 months in advance and are typically sold out then.
Some of the campgrounds (mostly beach ones, I think, but not all) have hiker/biker sites that don't take reservations - first come first serve. I think they are like $8-12 a night. One night limit. These are designed for tourers/through hikers.
Old 11-18-22, 07:27 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
California State Parks - Hearst San Simeon - one of the most popular coastal parks is $35 per tent site & $8 reservation fee.
Hiker/Biker are $5 - $10 depending on the park. Coastal parks are usually more.

California State Parks have been in a 20-year, ongoing budget crisis and struggle with the legislature.
During that period, some parks have been shuttered, others have had reduced services.
I have encountered one park on the Pacific Coast Route where the loop with hiker/biker sites was closed.
As a result, there were no hiker/biker sites. And the first ranger had a "So what?" attitude.
It was only after another ranger intervened that we were given a cancelled regular site.

I would suspect that - post-pandemic - things have only gotten worse in California State Parks.
Which is a shame because California State Parks were, at one time, the best in the world.
Old 11-18-22, 09:05 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by indyfabz

A guy I know just happened to ride the trail the day before I was there. He got delayed.

Aww, he doesn't look so tough. 😁
Old 11-18-22, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by stardognine
Aww, he doesn't look so tough. 😁
I was told he moved on after a couple of minutes.

Interestingly, when I went to the store at the campground entrance I just happened to meet one of the authors of “Younger Next Year.” He was out for a ride on the trail.
Old 11-18-22, 08:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Well, I'm definitely back in Sacramento. I used the restroom awhile ago, and when I came back out, I startled 5 deer, right by my bicycle. It almost looked like they were waiting for me, lol, or maybe they liked the smell of my dinner, California rolls & inari. 😍 Heck, I woulda shared, but they ran off before I could offer. 😁
Old 11-20-22, 08:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
It really, really is tough cycling back east.
Not only is there oodles of traffic -
but it is darn difficult to find any camping.
And when you do it is small and ridiculously expensive.

For ex.
Near Delaware Gap -
https://www.delawarerivercampground.com/tent-campsites/
Driftstone Campground Rates | Camping Rates on the Delaware River

Granted, Spruce Run S.P. is only $25 for out-of-staters.
But state and federal campsites are few and far between.

<<<>>>

"Oh, give me a home where the bufalo roam."
Make that -
"Oh, give me a camp site where the buffalo hitch-hike."
At that insane price I think I would go stealth camping.
Old 11-20-22, 05:46 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by stardognine
Well, I'm definitely back in Sacramento. I used the restroom awhile ago, and when I came back out, I startled 5 deer, right by my bicycle. It almost looked like they were waiting for me, lol, or maybe they liked the smell of my dinner, California rolls & inari. 😍 Heck, I woulda shared, but they ran off before I could offer. 😁
I saw 4 more yesterday, and finally grabbed a couple decent pics, lol. I posted them in the touring pics thread. ✌️