Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from London!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from London!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 11:28 AM
zanf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from London!

My name is chris and I live in central London. (I can hear Big Ben when it tolls!)

I've cycled since I was a child but never really saw myself as a serious cyclist. I suppose I am now because I don't drive nor have I since 1993. I don't even hold a license!

I met a guy in 1999 who was cycling around India and after hearing what the worst thing about it was (kids grabbing the brakes when he went slowly through villages), I decided that I should travel in a similar manner.

Plans got away from me and I found myself 10 years later, complaining about my life being just get up, go to work, come home, flake out, go to bed, rinse repeat. So I put into action a plan to sell everything I own and do the off on a bike.

I was planning to leave this spring but unfortunately I got made redundant, hit by some bills and my travel fund has suffered a beating so plans are delayed. I might have to do it in stages now with Europe this summer then plot up somewhere and work some more then head to India for next year.

I own a Thorn Nomad mk2 which has been to Ireland, Luxembourg, London to Brighton so far and I'm looking at doing LEJOG in the spring.
Old 02-07-11, 01:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Welcome aboard,
Touring is so fun.

Old 02-08-11, 02:11 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cheers Chris, welcome to Bike Forums!

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 02-08-11, 03:58 PM
rivas7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!

That's a nice bike you got there. Good luck on your travels.
Old 02-13-11, 01:14 PM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Zanf, nice bike, good luck to you on future tours. Big Ben huh, pretty cool!
Old 02-16-11, 06:20 AM
loved666

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Chris,

nice to see you around.

let me know of any plan of your india tour.

Cheers
Vivek
Originally Posted by zanf
My name is chris and I live in central London. (I can hear Big Ben when it tolls!)

I've cycled since I was a child but never really saw myself as a serious cyclist. I suppose I am now because I don't drive nor have I since 1993. I don't even hold a license!

I met a guy in 1999 who was cycling around India and after hearing what the worst thing about it was (kids grabbing the brakes when he went slowly through villages), I decided that I should travel in a similar manner.

Plans got away from me and I found myself 10 years later, complaining about my life being just get up, go to work, come home, flake out, go to bed, rinse repeat. So I put into action a plan to sell everything I own and do the off on a bike.

I was planning to leave this spring but unfortunately I got made redundant, hit by some bills and my travel fund has suffered a beating so plans are delayed. I might have to do it in stages now with Europe this summer then plot up somewhere and work some more then head to India for next year.

I own a Thorn Nomad mk2 which has been to Ireland, Luxembourg, London to Brighton so far and I'm looking at doing LEJOG in the spring.
Old 02-16-11, 06:26 AM
run1206

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Chris!
Old 02-16-11, 07:16 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, Chris!
I lived in/cycled around in London from 1980-1988, and covered a lot of ground both in the city as well as the Home counties countryside. Back then, you could still travel by train with your bike fairly easily, so it was very good at allowing one to get in shape for longer tours. I did an extensive solo tour from London to Copenhagen and could easily have made it to Stockholm, but I was a little green and got lonely...pity that!
I had joined International Youth Hostels which at least in northern Europe was ok - a cheap bed at 50 mile intervals, ability to cook a meal on the cheap, meet other wanderers, etc. Things must be a lot different with the EU - Eastern Europe opened up, must be great. That's where I'd cut my teeth if I were you, given your current economic bind.
I also rode 4 two-week tours in France, one in Greece, and a three-week one in northeastern US/Canada. All were blasts. Travel is most liberating - I hope you can find a way to realize your dreams.

Cheer and benedictions,
Cranky