Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

10 speed Campy friction shifting ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

10 speed Campy friction shifting ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 03:15 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I just found some Synchro DT shifters in my parts box.
I know better than to try and set them up indexed.
I'm tempted to go 10-sp Campy friction with them.
Just curious, Rob: with those Synchros in friction mode, do they have the retro-friction action that the Dopplers did? Or do they behave just like old-school NR friction shifters that can ghost-shift? (The only Syncro I have used are the 8- and 9- speed ones that index very well (with Campag cassettes) but don't have a friction mode at all.)
Old 10-21-20, 04:22 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Just curious, Rob: with those Synchros in friction mode, do they have the retro-friction action that the Dopplers did? Or do they behave just like old-school NR friction shifters that can ghost-shift? (The only Syncro I have used are the 8- and 9- speed ones that index very well (with Campag cassettes) but don't have a friction mode at all.)
Having never used the retrofriction shifters, I'm still a bit vague at what actually counters the cable pull, but I have used the dual mode shifters in friction mode and never had a ghost shift. I don't think they have the same mechanism as the retrofriction shifters though, all the space is taken up by the indexing springs and insert!
Old 10-21-20, 06:09 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Having never used the retrofriction shifters, I'm still a bit vague at what actually counters the cable pull, but I have used the dual mode shifters in friction mode and never had a ghost shift. I don't think they have the same mechanism as the retrofriction shifters though, all the space is taken up by the indexing springs and insert!
Thanks. I never had much trouble with ghost shifting from the old NRs either, (until the screw worked really loose), which probably tells you that I wasn't (and am not) strong enough to flex a frame very much. But I do love the action of those Dopplers (and the Simplexes are pretty good, too) where the perceived effort of pulling equals that of pushing, and there's no annoying (to me) micro-ratcheting feel like with some other types. Now if only I had one of the big-belly versions that could pull enough cable to shift an 8+ speed. That would be my choice for friction-shifting 9 and 10 speeds.
Old 10-22-20, 02:26 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
No version of Campy Syncro shifters have retro-friction action like the dopplers or Simplex,
Old 10-22-20, 05:37 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
No clicks.