Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 12:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I joined late '98 or early '99 in preparation for my cross country ride. My number is 8 digits.
Mine is 7. I think I joined in the late '80s.
Old 11-22-21, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I had a hard time spending dividends a couple of years ago and I stopped using that card. I might start using it more to feed the Rapha need, now that they're carrying a decent selection.
You can get the dividend back in cash. Easiest way is to visit a store, buy something like a Cliff bar with it and ask for the balance of your dividend in cash.

For people who shop there often enough, that is actually the most "profitable" way to do it. You don't earn a dividend on stuff you purchase using your dividend directly. If you take the dividend in cash and then use that to buy stuff, you do earn a dividend on stuff you purchase with your dividend.
Old 11-22-21, 12:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
How much shopping do you do at REI to have a credit card there? I only have two credit cards total.
You should get more.
Old 11-22-21, 12:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

We never had a problem using REI dividends in the past. Most of the time we'd just give them to the kids since they are both outdoors types. A lot of times we use them to get birthday or Christmas gifts.
Old 11-22-21, 12:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Then there is the clown who says he should just give it away.
Wut. How dumb would that be? Isn't he on the hook for the taxes? Giving it away would cost the guy a bunch of money.
Old 11-22-21, 12:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Wut. How dumb would that be? Isn't he on the hook for the taxes? Giving it away would cost the guy a bunch of money.
Yeah, tax bill could potentially be as much as several thousand dollars. But even without the tax liability, expecting someone to give something like that away just because they may not want it is just insane. That's like saying that I spent less than I earned this month so I should give the excess away.

If the guy doesn't want the bike, there is nothing unreasonable about selling it and enjoying the prize in some other way.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-22-21, 01:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
You can get the dividend back in cash. Easiest way is to visit a store, buy something like a Cliff bar with it and ask for the balance of your dividend in cash.

For people who shop there often enough, that is actually the most "profitable" way to do it. You don't earn a dividend on stuff you purchase using your dividend directly. If you take the dividend in cash and then use that to buy stuff, you do earn a dividend on stuff you purchase with your dividend.
This makes my head hurt, but that could be because it's Monday and I'm still surprisingly tired from yesterday's ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-22-21, 01:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
On yesterday's ride I think I unintentionally ended up in somebody's d**k measuring competition. A couple guys on newer, nicer bikes than I was on, looking significantly more fit and less fat than I. I wasn't trying to beat them or anything, it's just they were going slower than I wanted to, twice
I don't want to race strangers so sometimes I will sit a few bike lengths behind them before I pass. A lot of times passing someone will trigger their race mode. I was cruising the bike path and a young couple on nice bikes entered the path ahead of me and they were riding slower than I was so I passed her and when I started to pass him he stood up and hammered the pedals to try and prevent me from passing. Why would he do that? So by the time I had disposed of him he was way ahead of his friend/wife/whatever.
If I am passed by someone and I want to see what they have, I will stay back and never try to prevent them from passing. A guy on a TT bike passed me on a straight one day and he got into his elbow steerers and all tucked in and I could tell he couldn't dial it up to 400 watts so I followed him for a couple miles. It was fun and I never got into his draft.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-22-21, 01:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
I don't want to race strangers so sometimes I will sit a few bike lengths behind them before I pass. A lot of times passing someone will trigger their race mode. I was cruising the bike path and a young couple on nice bikes entered the path ahead of me and they were riding slower than I was so I passed her and when I started to pass him he stood up and hammered the pedals to try and prevent me from passing. Why would he do that? So by the time I had disposed of him he was way ahead of his friend/wife/whatever.
If I am passed by someone and I want to see what they have, I will stay back and never try to prevent them from passing. A guy on a TT bike passed me on a straight one day and he got into his elbow steerers and all tucked in and I could tell he couldn't dial it up to 400 watts so I followed him for a couple miles. It was fun and I never got into his draft.
In this case it seemed more like they were doing what I do - dawdle some places, push harder in others - but their dawdling was slower than my dawdling and their pushing harder was faster than mine. e.g. there's a 0.5 mile hill of about 3.5% gradient, and they were both out of the saddle the whole way. I can't do that long out of the saddle. But on the descent following, I had to brake to stay behind the slower of the two. Then they turned onto the side road I always take, and dawdled even more than I do on that road, so my choices were to dawdle even slower than that, or pass them. So I did the latter.

I guess the good news is that I've gotten fast enough that whether to pass people I think can smoke me if they try is actually something that's possible, instead of being that guy everyone passes.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-22-21, 01:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Well, depending on who he gives it to, and the rest of his tax picture. Like, if he itemizes and gives it to a qualified charity, he might deduct it and maybe end up owing nothing. Or I could be wrong, because I don't do our taxes and haven't for years and I'm a Molecular Biologist, not a CPA.

I dunno. On the one hand, I'd LOVE to have a superbike to ride. On the other, it's worth more than all my bikes put together, and for the price of that I could get some really nice s**t.

Old 11-22-21, 01:29 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28590 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
You should get more.
Why?
Old 11-22-21, 01:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Why?
It's the American way.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-22-21, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
How much shopping do you do at REI to have a credit card there? I only have two credit cards total.
A decent enough amount. I can easily drive to three B&M locations in my area. I like to see and try gear/clothing before I buy it. My current touring tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and collapsible bowl and cup were all purchased from REI. So was one of my camp stoves. Just got some socks delivered last week. The shoes, pants and base layer I am wearing right now were bought there as was the headlight for my commuter/touring bike. It's also where I pick up MSR White Gas, which cannot be shipped. One big problem is that around these parts, there are no other outdoor gear outlets.

And as noted, I can always take my earned dividend as cash and spend it wherever.
Old 11-22-21, 02:04 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

And as noted, I can always take my earned dividend as cash and spend it wherever.
How much is the "dividend"?
Old 11-22-21, 02:13 PM
Mojo31
-------

Why?
So you can get more stuff!

Full disclosure - I only have 2 credit cards, one personal and one business. I don't think you should take my advice to get more.
Old 11-22-21, 02:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Sure don't see many of these beauties these days.

Old 11-22-21, 02:15 PM
Mojo31
-------

How much is the "dividend"?
10%

REI Member Dividend: How it Works | REI Co-op
Old 11-22-21, 02:16 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I don't recall ever buying anything at REI.
Old 11-22-21, 02:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

Plymouth/Dodge Omnirizon?

Old 11-22-21, 02:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

There was even a Shelby version that's more rare.
Old 11-22-21, 02:19 PM
big john

In this case it seemed more like they were doing what I do - dawdle some places, push harder in others - but their dawdling was slower than my dawdling and their pushing harder was faster than mine. e.g. there's a 0.5 mile hill of about 3.5% gradient, and they were both out of the saddle the whole way. I can't do that long out of the saddle. But on the descent following, I had to brake to stay behind the slower of the two. Then they turned onto the side road I always take, and dawdled even more than I do on that road, so my choices were to dawdle even slower than that, or pass them. So I did the latter.

I guess the good news is that I've gotten fast enough that whether to pass people I think can smoke me if they try is actually something that's possible, instead of being that guy everyone passes.
When I started with the club in 1989 there was a guy in his late 50s and he was good at long, hard efforts. He had run marathons and was super fit but didn't look the part. He would chase someone down and before he passed them he would calm his breathing and maybe wipe the sweat from his brow and casually pull up alongside and say "How are you doing?" or something. Great guy and fun to ride with but he loved to psyche people out.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-22-21, 02:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Yeah, I wasn't aware that you could cash out the dividend until last year or the year before, but I wasn't really shopping there that much, so just the 1% wasn't reason enough to use it and remember to pay the bill.
Old 11-22-21, 02:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Indeed. In the desirable GLH trim
Old 11-22-21, 02:21 PM
Mojo31
-------

I don't recall ever buying anything at REI.
Someone needs to get out more.

There's one in your town: 6700 Papermill Drive, Knoxville, TN 37919
Old 11-22-21, 02:21 PM
big john

We used to call them "ominous".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.