Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

vintage steel frame storage?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-18-21, 07:15 AM
DooberD

Bikes: Bianchi Brava, Schwinn Crosscut, Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Recently came across another project frameset (Bridgestone Sirius), and since I have no real aspirations to tackle another rebuild immediately, I’m wondering what you folks would recommend in the way of storage for vintage steel?

The exterior has been thoroughly cleaned and the interior has been hit with FrameSaver a couple times. Should I worry about the BB threads being exposed for any length of time? Should I “plug” them and the tubes with rags or steel wool? Or maybe I’m being a worry wart?

Let’s say the frame will hang from the garage rafters for 6 months.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-21, 07:20 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If I were worried about the bottom bracket threads corroding, I would smear them with a liberal coating of grease before hanging the frame up. Hopefully the storage area isn't too humid
Old 09-18-21, 07:52 AM
DooberD

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If I were worried about the bottom bracket threads corroding, I would smear them with a liberal coating of grease before hanging the frame up. Hopefully the storage area isn't too humid
Will do, thanks!
Old 09-18-21, 08:00 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
RE: Let’s say the frame will hang from the garage rafters for 6 months.

Let’s suggest the frame will hang in the house as artwork to be admired until put into use.
This will also keep motivation for rebuild.
Likes For joesch:
Old 09-18-21, 08:10 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I've had a steel Rockhopper hanging in my garage now for a decade because someone won't let me sell it. But I digress. My point being is that I don't think Montana is more humid than Illinois. The Rockhopper is fine. Just don't cover anything with plastic. Air circulation is needed to prevent condensation.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-18-21, 08:53 AM
DooberD

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
RE: Let’s say the frame will hang from the garage rafters for 6 months.

Let’s suggest the frame will hang in the house as artwork to be admired until put into use.
This will also keep motivation for rebuild.
That would be great Joe, except the Mrs might make me sleep in the garage instead!
Likes For DooberD:
Old 09-18-21, 08:55 AM
DooberD

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I've had a steel Rockhopper hanging in my garage now for a decade because someone won't let me sell it. But I digress. My point being is that I don't think Montana is more humid than Illinois. The Rockhopper is fine. Just don't cover anything with plastic. Air circulation is needed to prevent condensation.
You see, this is why I asked. I was planning on putting it in a large plastic bag. Thank you! I sometimes store components in small plastic bags just to keep em in order. Think I should stop doing that?
Old 09-18-21, 09:33 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
...I routinely have at least four or five repainting projects hanging from hooks on a workshop rafter, that has a roof, but is open to the weather on two sides.
I do nothing to them, other than that initial interior frame oiling you mention, and they seem to be fine. Let the frame oil stuff cover the BB shell as well, if you are worried.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-18-21, 10:45 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Ive got a hoarder stash hanging in my attic. It gets pretty hot up there in the summer and I run a couple big fans to keep the heat down, but the bikes do a heating cooling cycle everyday. I try and clean every bike and then soak it down with wd-40. Some of the bikes have been up there 4 years. I think that there might be a little more rust on a things that were already rusty, but the clean bikes are the same. I havent frame savered anything but most of the bikes have the seat post pulled as seats really dont survive the heat. All my "keepers" are in an insulated garage with a dehumidifier though.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 09-18-21, 11:04 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by DooberD
I sometimes store components in small plastic bags just to keep em in order. Think I should stop doing that?
Put some holes in the bags. Don't wrap the bag tight. Or, get some cloth bags. Again, no trapped moisture.

I saw a blue tarp laid over a Jag E-Type for a single winter make it rust. No worries, the car was only for parts.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-18-21, 11:05 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
I kept a steel frame for 5 years (bought new) in my basement. All I did was lightly oil the tubes. It was wrapped it large plastic bag that was not sealed and stored in an old steamer trunk my Grandmother used when coming through Ellis Island. My basement was very humid in the summers and very dry in the winters. Not a speck of rust inside when I eventually built it up.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 09-18-21, 06:35 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I keep my bin bits in plastic bags so they don't get more scratched when I dig in the bin. Maybe I should use paper?

I'm gad my Sirrus wasn't stored in a plastic bag. It was only left in sombody's yard under some dirt and assorted ignored weeds for 20 years. Otherwise the BB and stem could have been troublesome.
Old 09-19-21, 06:15 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

I put everything in ziplocks and haven't had any rust problems, but I am a habitual wd40 sprayer. One recent unfortunate discovery is that mouse piss will ruin paint, or at least the lacquer on vintage hand planes, Cute but curse-ed creatures they are..
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 09-19-21, 06:31 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
I remember reading an article about Holdsworth's Putney shop. Apparently when a frame was completed it was coated with raw linseed oil until it was ready for paint.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 09-19-21, 06:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I have complete bicycles and a couple frames, not to mention a few wheelsets, up in my garage attic. I don't do anything special. When I retrieve something it's always in fine shape.

If you're really concerned, I'd buy one of those large "Banana Bags" and put the frame in that, along with a tub of Damp-rid.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-19-21, 07:06 AM
bark_eater 

I forgot to emphasize that I clean every bike really well before soaking with wd40. I've found that dirt or dust really give rust a foot hold with metal items.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 09-19-21, 11:50 AM
DooberD

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by classtime
i keep my bin bits in plastic bags so they don't get more scratched when i dig in the bin. Maybe i should use paper?

I'm gad my sirrus wasn't stored in a plastic bag. It was only left in sombody's yard under some dirt and assorted ignored weeds for 20 years. Otherwise the bb and stem could have been troublesome.
lol!
Old 09-19-21, 12:31 PM
Greg R

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I've found engine fogging spray works very well. It gets into nooks and crannies and come time it stays put. It also cleans up well with mild solvent such as mineral spirits, not like gummy WD40 or linseed oil. Other than that air circulation is your best friend and what ever cover to keep the dust or dirt to a minimum.
mouse piss
Gawd! the bane of all storage! 2nd only to tom cat markings. Besides paint ruination, if left on steel long enough it will always stink and ruin further paint jobs.

Last edited by Greg R; 09-19-21 at 12:39 PM.