Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ever see something like this?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ever see something like this?

Old 03-15-19, 07:37 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Well, Shimano said they would warrantee it, but I would have to bring the bike to an authorized dealer and have them look it over, order the part and install it.
Mail it to them and if you are prepared to live without it for a month, they will magically mail you one.
Old 03-15-19, 07:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting about the too-much-torque theory.. aren't folks always warning against clamping a seatube when putting bike in a stand for fear of crushing the seat tube (ie. always use the seatpost). I can't imagine those workstands with the rubberised clamps would ever exert more psi on the tube than a 1/2" wide metal FD clamp.
In my experience, the big concern with clamping on the seat tube is not so much seat tube failure as damage to paint and graphics (carbon fiber seat tubes may be an exception). You can damage a seat tube with a work stand clamp, but you really have to try. And in any case, it isn't the seat tube that failed here; it's the front derailleur clamp.
Old 03-15-19, 07:59 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Mail it to them and if you are prepared to live without it for a month, they will magically mail you one.
Nope Shimano told me that they would replace it, but I would have to take it to an authorized dealer and the dealer would have to contact Shimano to get it replaced. Too much hassle for $15 part. In any case it’s already fixed.
Old 09-30-21, 12:04 PM
3daywheelie 

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Jumping in late here, but I'm just about to install a Dura Ace Di2 FD-R9150 front derailleur on my gravel bike, and I noticed Shimano has actually updated their Dealer Manual (DM-R9150-08-ENG) to recommend YOU DO INSTALL the small metal stick on backup plate WITH THE BAND CLAMP ADAPTOR. I tried to post a picture here of page 42 of the DM but I haven't made 10 posts on BF yet so the admin. won't let me.

My question is does it actually fit? It seems there isn't enough room between the support bolt (with it fully backed out) and the band clamp to slip this part in? But I'm going to give it a try. Just wondering if anyone has installed it successfully this way (SM-AD91 band clamp WITH the small metal backup plate)? Makes sense that this would help address creating a stress riser on the aluminum band part.

Thx!
Patrick
Old 09-30-21, 12:33 PM
3daywheelie 

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, I just tried to install the FD-R9150 with the small metal backup plate stuck onto the band adapter, with the metal part on the centerline of the support bolt, the adhesive portions trailing (towards the rear of bike) and it definitely doesn't fit. When I try to fully tighten the FD onto the band clamp, there's noticeable interference between the body of FD and backup plate, and there's no way I can get the desired 0.5-1.0 mm of trailing edge clearance as shown on page 43 of the DM, even w/ the support bolt backed all the way out. I going to try to cut a small much thinner piece of stainless steel sheet stock with my tin snips and put it on with a thin piece of FSA tape.
Old 10-01-21, 02:01 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by 3daywheelie
Okay, I just tried to install the FD-R9150 with the small metal backup plate stuck onto the band adapter, with the metal part on the centerline of the support bolt, the adhesive portions trailing (towards the rear of bike) and it definitely doesn't fit. When I try to fully tighten the FD onto the band clamp, there's noticeable interference between the body of FD and backup plate, and there's no way I can get the desired 0.5-1.0 mm of trailing edge clearance as shown on page 43 of the DM, even w/ the support bolt backed all the way out. I going to try to cut a small much thinner piece of stainless steel sheet stock with my tin snips and put it on with a thin piece of FSA tape.
I'd say never mind any of that faff, and just tighten the bolt onto the clamp band. This was a pretty freaky failure; wouldn't expect to see it again.

BTW, IIRC Shimano's instructions say to set the FD tail-in by a mm or so, and preload that support bolt enough to move it back out. Might sound a bit dicey to some, but makes sense for rigidity.
Old 10-03-21, 11:11 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
What am I missing here?

Since there was no front shift (or even rear shift?) then the chainring must have deflected a lot to snag the FD-

shouldn't this be considered along with the pot-metal theories?
Old 10-11-21, 09:32 AM
jennyshop

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope!