Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Downtube index shifters. Do they exist? 10 speed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Downtube index shifters. Do they exist? 10 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Yes, but you still had those pesky non-aero brake cables.

John

Maybe OP could pioneer downtube braking.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-03-21, 05:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

This is what I hate about most people who troll. Sooner or later they just can’t keep on top of it. I had such high hopes for you, but sadly you are no better than the thousands that have come and gone before you.

You initially asked about a Kent Nazz for $240. Not that you actually bought it. But you specifically stated in this thread you have a Kent Roadtech from a few years ago that cost $124. Then you ask about placing discs on the disc brake.

The one thing I ask, if you want to troll don’t be stupid enough to name a bike that never came with disc brakes. At least take the 30 seconds to get your story somewhat straight. It’s not fun anymore.

John
Appears that a disc brake version of the Roadtech was sold somewhere: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/730568370787133110/
Old 11-03-21, 06:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
When I compare the description here: https://www.roadbikeshop.net/kent-70...-bottle-black/ with the description here: (the actual Kent site) https://kent.bike/products/700c-mens-roadtech I see variances. Kent describes a 21-sopeed triple, while the supposed "Kent' for sale is described as having an 18-speed (I assume 2x9 but it is not impossible it is 3x6, I guess .... doubt it on a disc wheel, right?)

Also .... though the sale listing is under the name "Roadtech," the bike is later described as a "Kent Nazz" which is an "advbenture" bike which does have disc brakes:https://kent.bike/products/700c-mens...9aa90032&_ss=r The photo is the kent website photo of the Nazz.
Old 11-03-21, 06:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
When I compare the description here: https://www.roadbikeshop.net/kent-70...-bottle-black/ with the description here: (the actual Kent site) https://kent.bike/products/700c-mens-roadtech I see variances. Kent describes a 21-sopeed triple, while the supposed "Kent' for sale is described as having an 18-speed (I assume 2x9 but it is not impossible it is 3x6, I guess .... doubt it on a disc wheel, right?)

Also .... though the sale listing is under the name "Roadtech," the bike is later described as a "Kent Nazz" which is an "advbenture" bike which does have disc brakes:https://kent.bike/products/700c-mens...9aa90032&_ss=r The photo is the kent website photo of the Nazz.

Yup, I noticed the same weird discrepancies but, to tell you the truth, for me "is the OP lying?" is not an issue worth spending any more time on to track it down. I suspect it's possible that Kent "transitioned" between the two names,hence the confusion, but the links on the site I got it from were to defunct Amazon listings, so who knows what used to be there?

Either way, OP is proposing an absurd project and I don't care whether or not he chooses to actually do it and/or is trolling. We're obviously having fun posting on the thread or we wouldn't be doing it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-04-21, 03:30 AM
psystemupdate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
haven't been back in this thread in a while, interesting read so far though. Someone thinks this account is a trolling account but its just a new account which requires some activity quota before i can post pictures...Not sure how someone interpreted my mention of a Kent roadtech as having disc brakes, but im pretty sure i was referring to to the kent nazz and whether or not id have trouble throwing a wheel on it, specifically with disc break alignment; not to worry though, since I'm going to buying a used trek with 8 or more speed, ill just test throwing its wheel on the nazz to see if everything lines up...At this point though, I've decided to just ride this bike out since im mainly on farmland flats and tarmac...not perfect the way it is, but decent enough. Throw in dirt hills though and expect joint pain in your knees afterward.
Old 11-04-21, 04:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by psystemupdate
...Not sure how someone interpreted my mention of a Kent roadtech as having disc brakes, but im pretty sure i was referring to to the kent nazz and whether or not id have trouble throwing a wheel on it, specifically with disc break alignment; not to worry though, since I'm going to buying a used trek with 8 or more speed, ill just test throwing its wheel on the nazz to see if everything lines up...
you know i love it, but you know i hate the price; that cost more than the bike itself if i were to replace my 7 speed downtube index shifter on my kent roadtech 700c (124$ out the door a few years ago)
Yeah ... tough to see how anyone could imagine you were talking about a roadtech .... seeing as it is the only bike you mentioned.

Also you can post pics at ten posts.
Old 11-04-21, 07:11 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Down tube shifter made for a exceptionally clean bike. No shift cables flopping all over in the wind.
Yes, but you still had those pesky non-aero brake cables.
Not necessarily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2018.jpg (90.4 KB, 63 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-04-21, 07:33 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Not necessarily.
Agreed.

Beautiful bike by the way.

John
Old 11-04-21, 11:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

haven't been back in this thread in a while, interesting read so far though. Someone thinks this account is a trolling account but its just a new account which requires some activity quota before i can post pictures...Not sure how someone interpreted my mention of a Kent roadtech as having disc brakes, but im pretty sure i was referring to to the kent nazz and whether or not id have trouble throwing a wheel on it, specifically with disc break alignment; not to worry though, since I'm going to buying a used trek with 8 or more speed, ill just test throwing its wheel on the nazz to see if everything lines up...At this point though, I've decided to just ride this bike out since im mainly on farmland flats and tarmac...not perfect the way it is, but decent enough. Throw in dirt hills though and expect joint pain in your knees afterward.
Put the rear wheel on backwards because only inexperienced riders follow rules.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-04-21, 12:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Not necessarily.
I remember when I bought a used Trek 660 in '87. Campy Nuovo drivetrain and Modolo brakes with aero levers. I felt like I was finally a "real" cyclist.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-04-21, 01:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I've tried sitting on my hands to stay out of this thread, but somehow they got loose.

I'd first have to know if downtube shifters are what the OP really wants. IMO, I'm glad downtube shifters are no more. I'd prefer the much dreaded stem shifters which I used for many years and still have both testicles. <grin>

I might suggest if the OP is wanting to learn about components in a DIY sort of way that they just buy a complete road group set with STI's if they are going to use a drop bar on the bike.

The boss of the downtube shifters usually will easily fit cable stops that are inexpensive and still made today. While the total cost of the group set might be many times more than the bike itself will ever be worth, it'll be a good way to learn some DIY with components that are made to work together, instead of trying to learn DIY cobbling a bunch of stuff together that might work.
Old 11-04-21, 01:26 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Maybe OP could pioneer downtube braking.
The kinetic energy of a descending tandem can be well over double what it would be for a single, creating a big issue for thermal dissipation at the brake track. Consequently, it used to be common for tandems to feature a rear drum brake hooked up to a friction shifter, for use as a drag brake on descents.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 11-04-21, 01:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by HTupolev
The kinetic energy of a descending tandem can be well over double what it would be for a single, creating a big issue for thermal dissipation at the brake track. Consequently, it used to be common for tandems to feature a rear drum brake hooked up to a friction shifter, for use as a drag brake on descents.
I love your fun facts!

Likes For livedarklions: