Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ship Bikes status

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 09:34 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Ship Bikes status

Hi folks,
Does anyone know when Ship Bikes is going to resume operations? A couple of weeks, I was asked for a quote to ship a frameset. Their site said they were negotiating with a new carrier. As of today, the same message comes up.
Thanks and regards,
Van
Old 05-07-22, 07:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Maybe reach out to them and ask them. I don't know if anyone on this forum works for them to tell you. Bikeflights is still working fine.
Old 05-07-22, 07:19 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Coincidentally, this thread about alternatives to Shipbikes started on the Talkbass.com forum just yesterday.
Old 05-07-22, 08:02 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
My understanding of shipbikes is that it was the corporate FedEx account of Lickton's in Oak Park, IL. It was an odd arrangement. Supposedly they didn't make much or any money from using their corporate account as a external shipping hub, but rather got markedly increased margin discounts because of the volume they shipped, so it all evened out in the end or maybe even a little better for shipbikes.

I'll bet FedEx got tired of this arrangement and ended the margin discounts, probably because these days, they pick and choose their business instead of eroding their profits. In response, shipbikes thought they'd renegotiate with UPS as their carrier. Problem is, whatever deal fell through, shipbikes isn't shipping anything right now according to their website, but they will sell you a shipping box!

Whether they secure a deal with UPS is unclear, but it will cost more, and that means increased costs passed along to the consumer.