Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about “Painting Specialties”?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 10:34 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts

Howdy Everybody,

I picked up this Trek at an Estate Sale in Portland, Oregon with a custom paint job and this logo on the chainstay. I found mention in another thread of Les Lunas. Anyone have any info?

Old 05-15-22, 06:12 PM
Soylent 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
This was posted by KevinK at the pace line. He evidently built frames at Second Nature. Eugene?

"A few weeks ago, I finally brought it down and decided to clean it up and rebuild it with out a refinish. The frame and fork are Reynolds 531, dropouts are Campy. The lugs are cast Henry James. I carved away the top tang of each of the lugs, but left the bottom tangs intact. After much thinning and shaping, I polished them to a mirror finish, and had Paul S. at Painting Specialties do the final prep and painting. He used Metallic Orchid Imron (I think) and then clear coated the frame and lugs. the clear coating held up fairly well, but as you can see, rust has started to worm its way onto the polished steel lugs and fork crown."
1987 De Rosa Professional
1987 Weinmann Merckx
1984 Ciocc Designer 84
1983 Guerciotti SL
1982 Guerciotti SL
1981 Gios Torino Super Record
Old 05-15-22, 07:19 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by Soylent
This was posted by KevinK at the pace line. He evidently built frames at Second Nature. Eugene?

"A few weeks ago, I finally brought it down and decided to clean it up and rebuild it with out a refinish. The frame and fork are Reynolds 531, dropouts are Campy. The lugs are cast Henry James. I carved away the top tang of each of the lugs, but left the bottom tangs intact. After much thinning and shaping, I polished them to a mirror finish, and had Paul S. at Painting Specialties do the final prep and painting. He used Metallic Orchid Imron (I think) and then clear coated the frame and lugs. the clear coating held up fairly well, but as you can see, rust has started to worm its way onto the polished steel lugs and fork crown."
I've seen a few references in posts as well. Mentions of Eugene, the name Les Lunas (cool name), and now Paul S. "Painting Specialties" is one of those names that just doesn't Google well.
Old 05-15-22, 07:22 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

More pics of their handiwork, cleaned up:

Likes For JacobLee:
Old 05-15-22, 07:38 PM
Soylent 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
I hear ya. Maybe that shop and Second Nature are long gone. Maybe @gugie, drillium dude(guy?) or some of the other Oregon members would know
Old 05-15-22, 07:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Soylent
I hear ya. Maybe that shop and Second Nature are long gone. Maybe @gugie, drillium dude(guy?) or some of the other Oregon members would know
calling @VRJAKE?
Old 05-16-22, 12:09 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
calling @VRJAKE?
Not heard of 2nd Nature bike shop in Eugene. Friend Ben, who was a friend of Les Lunas while in college in Eugene, mid-1970's, shared that at some point Les no longer painted bikes but Painting Specialties lived on.
Old 05-16-22, 11:27 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Not heard of 2nd Nature bike shop in Eugene. Friend Ben, who was a friend of Les Lunas while in college in Eugene, mid-1970's, shared that at some point Les no longer painted bikes but Painting Specialties lived on.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it was a fixture in the Eugene scene. I'll assume this frame was painted in the "lived on" phase of the shop. Mid nineties? I'm fascinated why somebody would have a mid-level Trek repainted by a pro shop, but that will most likely remain a mystery.

Thanks again!
Old 05-17-22, 08:00 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Painting Specialties was Paul Schwyhart. He painted Co Motion's early frames before they brought it in house.