Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camping in the Rain???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Camping in the Rain???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 05:28 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camping in the Rain???

When your bike touring on your trips and it starts Raining at night and in the Morning it still raining or it stopped raining and do you pack up your gear and Tent wet or camp 2nd or 3rd day for a dry day to pack up your gear and tent???

It is the 2015/2016 El Nino Season!

I don't like Camping and Biking in the Rain! and I would Camp for a 2nd or 3rd day for dry weather to pack up my gear and Tent and I don't like the Rain and Wet Tents and I am only Bicycle Touring in Southern California and Northern California and Oregon!

I had plans to Ride from Riverside, CA via Indio, CA and Niland, CA (Slabcity) end in
El Centro, CA and back to Riverside, CA 12-2015 to 1-15-2016 and I postpone my trip for 12-2016 to 1-15-2017
Old 01-01-16, 05:39 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If the rain has stopped I'll pack up the wet tent and plan to let it dry out later (either at lunch or by setting it up as soon as I reach that evening's camp site). If the rain is still coming down I'll base my decision on the circumstances - do I need to get somewhere that day (reservations, previous plans with others, etc.), does the rain look like it'll end soon, how hard is it coming down, are there safety considerations, etc.
Old 01-01-16, 06:10 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
So far I haven't really had to deal with the problem. If the forecast looks like rain for the night I always try to find someplace with an overhang and camp out there for the night under the overhang and I wake up high and dry in the morning. Yeah, I'm road biking not mountain biking which would be a totally different situation. You can always find someplace that has an overhang if you just look for it. You learn to go to the campsite late, like after most people have went to bed for the night, 11PM and get out early in the morning before most have gotten on the road to head for work...granted in the morning it doesn't really make any difference since you are leaving the campsite.

Your biggest problem as I have always understood it isn't the rain with the El Nino, it's the mudslides. Watch out and be safe.

I would have to say for me I generally always play chicken with the rain since during the summer months when I'm going on long haul trips the rain is generally pretty isolated and not all day/night long events, generally just an hour or two if that long. I generally always try to sit out the rain. Like I said above thus far I haven't had to deal with waking up and hitting the open road when its raining. Around home the rain is generally light rain/mist/drizzle so I don't mind going out in it...granted I know I will be back at home for the night where I can get everything dried out before the next morning. Since I haven't had to deal with it yet while on a trip I can say for sure what I would do. I think I probably wait until it lets up a bit, figuring it is pouring and not just a light rain/drizzle kind of event. Wait until it lets up and quickly pack up and hopefully get into town and sit it out surfing the web/watching radar online to find out when its going to be over. That is generally what I do when it starts raining during the day so the only new thing would be the addition of still being at the campsite when the rain is falling. I would make sure I have everything organized inside the tent so I could get out and get torn down as fast as possible, hopefully in a matter or 5 minutes or less. I think it would depend on how long the rain was going to last as to just whether I would move on and when I would try to dry things out. That's a simple case of too many variables and things naturally change depending on the circumstances.
Old 01-01-16, 06:30 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Depends if I want to stay put or move on.
Old 01-01-16, 07:24 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I started my bike touring career in Western Washington. Lots of rain. Up there you learn how to deal with it, or stay home on the couch.

I find I can tour in all day rain, every day, for four days at a stretch before I really need mechanical heat to dry out my sleeping insulation. Unless I make a newbie mistake in site selection or pitching the tent, or wear my only dry clothes on a climb in the rain. And it took more years than I care to admit before I stopped making lots of newbie mistakes. (That was before the internet gave us all this conflicting information that's impossible to sort through.)
Old 01-01-16, 08:08 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
It is the 2015/2016 El Nino Season!....I don't like Camping and Biking in the Rain!

....I had plans.................
looks like you need to change your plans!!!

go someplace dry.......nevada, arizona, new mexico..........where you can enjoy
camping. plenty of blm land out there for free camping, so no need for stealthy
campsites. you can set up for weeks and nobody will bother you.

there's also jobs available if you're not averse to a little work. ranchers running
cattle on blm land need people to check on cattle, fences, stocktanks, etc.
Old 01-01-16, 08:27 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by saddlesores
there's also jobs available if you're not averse to a little work. ranchers running
cattle on blm land need people to check on cattle, fences, stocktanks, etc.

WWOOF

I've been thinking about this. A bit of work--reason to get up in the morning. Different opportunities available in different locals.

Environmentally responsible. Ride a bit, work and stay awhile, move on.
Old 01-01-16, 09:26 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

go someplace dry.......nevada, arizona, new mexico.........

it has been Snowing and Raining in California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico!

on Feb 8, 2016 I have to be in Indio, CA to work on Butler Amusements to Nov, 2016
Old 01-01-16, 09:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,425 Posts
When your bike touring on your trips and it starts Raining at night and in the Morning it still raining or it stopped raining and do you pack up your gear and Tent wet or camp 2nd or 3rd day for a dry day to pack up your gear and tent???....
I learned 45+ years ago not to try to wait out rain, unless I could see blue skies on the horizon. If you let rain keep you in place waiting it out, it'll never end. So bite the bullet, pack up your wet stuff and try to ride into a drier weather pattern. With any luck it'll dry during the next night, or in the AM.

OTOH - my personal record is 4+ consecutive wet days. Forget dishpan hands, I had dishpan body, and everything I owned looked and smelled like it was dragged through a swamp. But it all came out OK when I got home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-01-16, 10:05 PM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I learned 45+ years ago not to try to wait out rain, unless I could see blue skies on the horizon. If you let rain keep you in place waiting it out, it'll never end. So bite the bullet, pack up your wet stuff and try to ride into a drier weather pattern. With any luck it'll dry during the next night, or in the AM.
But 45 years ago I couldn't bring up an animated image of the local weather radar pattern on my phone to see how fast and in which direction the storm cells were moving and if there were additional rain cells coming in behind them. Lately we've found that ability to be quite handy even on group day rides to decide if we should continue riding or hole up in a Starbucks or other convenient establishment for a while.
Old 01-01-16, 10:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
But 45 years ago I couldn't bring up an animated image of the local weather radar pattern on my phone to see how fast and in which direction the storm cells were moving and if there were additional rain cells coming in behind them. Lately we've found that ability to be quite handy even on group day rides to decide if we should continue riding or hole up in a Starbucks or other convenient establishment for a while.
Even before modern tools we had the ability to make judgements about how long and hard it was going to rain. It wasn't spot on, but was decent enough to make decisions. These days I'll use radar maps to plan short rides,commuting times and errands, but when touring, I just take the weather as it comes.

Part of that is because we all used to organize rides on a "rain or shine" basis, and simply got used to it. My funniest memory of rain and organized rides was an annual century ride I organized and used to lead. It rained 7 years straight, yet the ride kept growing. One year it not only rained but got very cold, and out of almost 200 who started only a dozen or so finished. The next year even more signed up. Despite the misery of some of the rides, people kept repeating because they were afraid that one day it might be sunny and they'd miss out.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-01-16, 10:37 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
i think the longest stretch of rain i had was south island new zealand.
14 days straight. everything soaked.

it was then i learned that mosquitoes do indeed fly in a heavy rainstorm.

much prefer the asian monsoons. at least they're predictable. you get
a massive downpour every day, lasting an hour or so, usually around 1pm,
but rest of the day is clear and sunny.
Old 01-01-16, 10:47 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Eastern US has been incredibly warm this fall/winter but with near-constant damp/rain/fog etc. Even in such conditions there's sometimes a temporary break where one could spread tent or sleeping bag out to dry, perhaps while bungeed to rack or something. I wonder if Lysol spray might help cut down mildew in extended damp conditions? Or maybe a small blow dryer if one can occasionally camp w/electric?
Old 01-01-16, 11:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I did a trip once from Finnland to Spain. It rained pretty much every day when I was in Sweden. You just rolled with it. I packed up the tent in the wet and made a point of finding a place to dry it out very day. Covered bus stops worked well.
Old 01-02-16, 04:50 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Whichever will allow me to stay on schedule. If it's time for a rest day, that's when I take it. If not, I pack up with the tent wet and hope to dry it out the next day. Weather is just part of the trip.

Marc
Old 01-02-16, 07:49 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm neither a wicked witch nor made of sugar. I won't melt.
Old 01-02-16, 11:37 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I ride most of the days when I tour. A few rainy days a month are to be expected. Sometimes I'll hole-up, rest & read to avoid a particularly raining day. If I'm rested and ready to go I put on the rain gear and go.

Riverside, CA Forecast Jan 2016

[TABLE="class: stats, width: 1"]
[TR]
[TH="align: center"]
[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]High[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]Low[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]precip[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]Snow[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]Forecast[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]Avg. Hi[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]Avg. Lo[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: pre"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F3ED, align: center"]Fri
1/1/2016[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #FBFBFB, align: center"]64°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FBFBFB, align: center"]44°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FBFBFB, align: center"]0 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FBFBFB, align: center"]0 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FBFBFB, align: center"] [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FBFBFB, align: center"]67°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #FBFBFB, align: center"]42°[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=1' **"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F7F8, align: center"]Sat
1/2/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]68°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]37°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]0 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Partly sunny and warmer[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]67°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]42°[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=2' **"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F7F8, align: center"]Sun
1/3/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]46°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]0.03 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Some sun, then clouds[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=3' **"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F7F8, align: center"]Mon
1/4/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]63°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]0.11 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]A little morning rain[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=4' **"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F7F8, align: center"]Tue
1/5/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]56°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]1.39 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Cooler with rain[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=5' **"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F7F8, align: center"]Wed
1/6/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]54°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]44°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]1 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Mostly cloudy, rain; cool[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=6' **"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F7F8, align: center"]Thu
1/7/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]55°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]43°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Cloudy, rain possible; cool[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=7' **"]
[TH="bgcolor: #F6F7F8, align: center"]Fri
1/8/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]59°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]39°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Cloudy with rain possible[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=8' **"]
1/9/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]61°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]38°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Abundant sunshine[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=9' **"]
1/10/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]37°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Brilliant sunshine[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=10' **"]
1/11/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Mostly sunny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=11' **"]
1/12/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]73°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Sunny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=12' **"]
1/13/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]71°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]0.02 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Cloudy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=13' **"]
1/14/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]69°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]47°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Clouds and sun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=14' **"]
1/15/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]70°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]49°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Sunshine[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=15' **"]
1/16/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]75°[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=16' **"]
1/17/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Mostly cloudy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=17' **"]
1/18/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]66°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Mainly cloudy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=18' **"]
1/19/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]65°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]0.05 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Sunshine and some clouds[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=19' **"]
1/20/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]0.05 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]A little afternoon rain[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=20' **"]
1/21/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]62°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Cloudy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=21' **"]
1/22/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]41°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Mostly cloudy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=22' **"]
1/23/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Clouds giving way to some sun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=23' **"]
1/24/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]40°[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=24' **"]
1/25/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]39°[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=25' **"]
1/26/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Clouds rolling in[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=26' **"]
1/27/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Considerable cloudiness[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=27' **"]
1/28/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Abundant sunshine[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=28' **"]
1/29/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Mostly sunny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=29' **"]
1/30/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Sunny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lo calendar-list-cl-tr cl hv { href: 'https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/riverside-ca/92506/daily-weather-forecast/327146?day=30' ** hover"]
1/31/2016
[/TH]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]45°[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]0.06 in[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE"]Partly sunny with a shower[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F8FE, align: center"]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Looks like weather to me.
Old 01-02-16, 12:37 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
I ride most of the days when I tour. A few rainy days a month are to be expected. Sometimes I'll hole-up, rest & read to avoid a particularly raining day. If I'm rested and ready to go I put on the rain gear and go.
I was Starting 12-3-2015 to 1-15-2016 for my Trip but it is postpone from 12-3-2016 to 1-15-2017 for my trip and on 2-7-2016 I get on Greyhound bus to Indio, CA to work on Butler Amusement for 20% on a $1.00 under the table pay cash and I still need some gear and I will end the job on 11-1-2016 in the Goldfish game
Old 01-02-16, 01:06 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by sail
Depends if I want to stay put or move on.
+1

Never understood this problem some people have with packing a wet tent.
Old 01-02-16, 01:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
I was Starting 12-3-2015 to 1-15-2016 for my Trip but it is postpone from 12-3-2016 to 1-15-2017 for my trip and on 2-7-2016 I get on Greyhound bus to Indio, CA to work on Butler Amusement for 20% on a $1.00 under the table pay cash and I still need some gear and I will end the job on 11-1-2016 in the Goldfish game
Tim- Be sure to report to SSA as soon as you start work, even if it is "under the table," as you say. Your local office address is 2160 S El Camino Real, Oceanside, CA 92054. The toll free SSA # is 1 800 772-1213. Have fun!
Old 01-02-16, 03:15 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
+1

Never understood this problem some people have with packing a wet tent.
It probably comes from watching too much TV. The news all time wants you to think that if something gets wet it will get mold on it and the mold is going to kill you. They fear the worst as a simple result and don't want to pack anything wet. Too much time watching TV and not enough time riding the bike or doing something else constructive.
Old 01-02-16, 03:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Looks like you have almost 2 weeks to ride wherever you want.

As for being paid under the table...there is just no reason to post that since you constantly make it a point to let all know you receive SSI and SSDI benefits.
SGI measurement exists for a reason. That's all I will say in the subject.

A tip- this is a touring forum. If you don't want to be criticized for receiving potentially fraudulent benefits, then don't constantly bring up how you earn money.
Old 01-02-16, 03:51 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

go someplace dry.......nevada, arizona, new mexico..........where you can enjoy
camping.
It's an El Nino year. Meaning places like California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico etc are wetter than normal while Washington, Oregon, Idaho etc are drier than normal. It flips in a La Nina year. 2016 is a great year to do a ride across the Northern USA for such a reason.
Old 01-02-16, 04:47 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
When your bike touring on your trips and it starts Raining at night and in the Morning it still raining or it stopped raining and do you pack up your gear and Tent wet or camp 2nd or 3rd day for a dry day to pack up your gear and tent???

It is the 2015/2016 El Nino Season!

I don't like Camping and Biking in the Rain! and I would Camp for a 2nd or 3rd day for dry weather to pack up my gear and Tent and I don't like the Rain and Wet Tents and I am only Bicycle Touring in Southern California and Northern California and Oregon!

I had plans to Ride from Riverside, CA via Indio, CA and Niland, CA (Slabcity) end in
El Centro, CA and back to Riverside, CA 12-2015 to 1-15-2016 and I postpone my trip for 12-2016 to 1-15-2017
If you remember my answers to your original thread, so far this winter has played out as has other strong El Nino winters in the past---mostly widely spaced light rain storms before the New Year, with the strings of heavy storms beginning to hit in January (which are forecast to start tomorrow)

Postponing your tour until the strong storms hit seems to be a mistake if you don't like rain...
Old 01-02-16, 05:09 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I always pack up and get going. I don't like riding in the rain, probably the thing I like least about touring. But like hills or wind it is part of the stuff one has to do. It may help to have lived somewhere with a lot of rain where not riding in the rain = not riding. I got a year of the Irish climbing scene in the 70s, and while climbing in the rain isn't as bad as camping and riding, it is maybe more daunting to those not doing it.

I also agree that playing the weather forecast may cause one to be endlessly delayed as the system sits in place. However, I might not start a trip if the forecast was bad and the trip was local.

One reason not to stay in camp is because there isn't much to do. If that were not the case, either because of location or abundant wifi, that might make a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.