Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Condemn this C&V carbon?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Condemn this C&V carbon?

Old 02-05-21, 08:30 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Condemn this C&V carbon?

I was given a pair of scruffy and scuffed-up looking carbon fiber wheels. I want to know what this crowd thinks about riding on them.

They are Vision brand, seem to be from the '90s or early '00s. They take tubulars, which are a technology/art that I've stayed away from so far. Right now they're set up as wheelchair wheels, with stub axles, for a high-performance wheelchair application (the guy who gave me them says they were used by a disabled man to compete in the Boston marathon some years back) but they were originally bike wheels. Both are rears and they take English threaded freewheels. I would never use any carbon wheel on the front, but It would be very little trouble for me to turn them back into rear bike wheels by putting in some ordinary axles.

The question is, are they in any condition to ride on?

Here are some pictures of the worst of the dings. I think the dings were caused by the temporary installation of a clamped-on hand-grab-ring so that the wheelchair rider could push.

I have an idea of which way this is going to go, but I'll withhold my judgment until I get a reply or two. I also genuinely want opinions, because I have no idea myself when it comes to carbon fiber.

Last edited by scarlson; 02-05-21 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 08:41 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 2,505 Times in 1,047 Posts
I wouldn't ride 'em. Of course, I wouldn't ride any CF wheels because I'm a luddite. But if I wasn't such a luddite I certainly would not trust a wheel that was (1) CF that is (2) old and (3) is that used ad (4) is that scuffed and (5) is that load-bearing.
Old 02-05-21, 09:11 PM
notenoughdaylig 

Bikes: atala cromor salsa las cruces slingshot boomtube merckx mxm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Toast
Likes For notenoughdaylig:
Old 02-05-21, 09:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
I know just a smidge above nada when it comes to carbon, but my general policy is, "if catastrophic failure seems an option, hell no" applies here. Maybe you can put these on a trainer for a while to gain confidence, but sale on e-Bay under "vintage cycling wall art" would be likely if I were in your shoes.
Old 02-05-21, 09:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
È importante ricordare, che cosa potrebbe andare storto
Old 02-05-21, 09:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Old 02-05-21, 09:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Bene!
Old 02-05-21, 09:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
heck with whether the will kill you or not....they're ugly....ditch them

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-05-21, 11:15 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

You guys have made my night!! I had been agonizing over it and I appreciate the clarity and humor.

Had to use gargle translate to get the Italian scoop on things. And yeah, I've visited the busted carbon blogger.

I like the idea of riding them on some rollers, but I feel like this would not accurately simulate the stresses of the real world. Also I agree they are ugly! Or at least a bit "chalk-and-cheese" with my aesthetic, as the British would say.

I'll throw them on Ebay, I guess. Or save them for when I need to take out some frustration on an inanimate object.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by scarlson; 02-05-21 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 11:16 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
wheels

those would be fine to ride around the block or run up to the corner store on.......but they are really rough.....I would not call those reliable wheels at all.....you can get really racked in a high speed bike crash.......new carbon is super strong and reliable ....old carbon is not..........those super bikes they use in pro racing and on the tours .....are x rayed every day..........some bikes and wheels get retired after one day..........some teams take over 100 bikes to the races now........you can trust in carbon but bring an extra bike
Likes For homelessjoe:
Old 02-05-21, 11:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Si...
Old 02-06-21, 12:20 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 2,505 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
You guys have made my night!! I had been agonizing over it and I appreciate the clarity and humor.

Had to use gargle translate to get the Italian scoop on things. And yeah, I've visited the busted carbon blogger.

I like the idea of riding them on some rollers, but I feel like this would not accurately simulate the stresses of the real world. Also I agree they are ugly! Or at least a bit "chalk-and-cheese" with my aesthetic, as the British would say.

I'll throw them on Ebay, I guess. Or save them for when I need to take out some frustration on an inanimate object.

Cheers everyone!
Think nothing of it. In your heart of hearts, you knew the answer. We just confirmed it. And by doing so, we freed you up to go buy something else. We love egging each other on to go buy something else.
Old 02-06-21, 07:21 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I'm certainly happy crabon myths are still being perpetuated today. I was worried actual facts would be used in this thread.
Old 02-06-21, 07:45 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Carbon haters are entitled to their own facts.
Old 02-06-21, 10:16 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by iab
I'm certainly happy crabon myths are still being perpetuated today. I was worried actual facts would be used in this thread.
Originally Posted by nlerner
Carbon haters are entitled to their own facts.
What does mean? If you have a dissenting opinion, I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-06-21, 11:25 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I have a set of carbon wheels. I'd sit on the rims unlaced without fear of collapse. They are by far stronger than any flimsy aluminum rim I have ever owned.

And while I am not a structural engineer, I don't know for certain unlike others, that the damage on your wheels is structural. Put it on the trainer, see what happens. Ride it around the block, see what happens.

I worry more about a tacoed aluminum wheel than a assploding crabon wheel.
Likes For iab:
Old 02-06-21, 01:38 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
I was given a pair of scruffy and scuffed-up looking carbon fiber wheels. I want to know what this crowd thinks about riding on them.
I see an aluminum brake track. Any chance that this is carbon built around an aluminum rim?

If that's the case, I would make sure that the bond is in good shape around the carbon/aluminum interface. That damage looks like it's not on the spokes, so I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.

Of course, this is just my opinion based on a few photographs. YMMV

Originally Posted by iab
And while I am not a structural engineer, I don't know for certain unlike others, that the damage on your wheels is structural. Put it on the trainer, see what happens. Ride it around the block, see what happens.

I worry more about a tacoed aluminum wheel than a assploding crabon wheel.
Oh yeah, what he said ​​​​​​​
Old 02-06-21, 06:15 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
I would think, any cracks, scrapes and gouges that are deep enough to expose the carbon weave below the finish, is a good enough reason to "red tag" a CF wheelset like that.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-06-21, 06:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
I

I have an idea of which way this is going to go, but I'll withhold my judgment until I get a reply or two. I also genuinely want opinions, because I have no idea myself when it comes to carbon fiber.

id have no issues riding them. Specialized made these too. The front wheel in my pic also is threaded ,it just has a rubber cover protecting the threads, but the axle length isfront specific

Bonded aluminum rim. This particular wheel has been used hard and still has no issuesthat i can tell

buuuuut. —-if you are not comfortable with them - totally understood. You wont hurt the wheel’s feelings

Last edited by DMC707; 02-06-21 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 09:27 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by abshipp
I see an aluminum brake track. Any chance that this is carbon built around an aluminum rim?
Yep, it appears to be carbon bonded to aluminum hub and rim. I will check the bond area for further damage.

That damage looks like it's not on the spokes, so I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.​​​​​​​
It actually is. All the pictures of damage are of damage on the leading or trailing edges of the spokes, close to the outer ends where they join the rim. I think the guy that used them on a wheelchair had some grab-rings attached with clamps to the spokes, and I surmise they caused most of the damage I have pictured.

I don't really have a bike that "goes" with them, so I may put them up for sale for an attractive price someplace, with full disclosure of course. Anything I make is profit since they were given to me.
Old 02-07-21, 06:31 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I would get an assessment from a carbon fiber repair facility.
Carbon can be repaired. it will most likely require them to be balanced after.
Is the cost worth it? no idea.
I would also assume that afterward they will need paint, or as part of the process.

the latest and greatest in carbon damage assessment is infrared
granted, this is for sailboat hulls and appendages, but the tech is similar

https://ericgreeneassociates.com/imag...Assessment.pdf
Old 02-07-21, 07:46 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
It actually is. All the pictures of damage are of damage on the leading or trailing edges of the spokes, close to the outer ends where they join the rim. I think the guy that used them on a wheelchair had some grab-rings attached with clamps to the spokes, and I surmise they caused most of the damage I have pictured.
Ah. I think that changes things a bit. I thought those clamp marks were on the rim between the spokes.
Old 02-07-21, 11:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
The mass of the rider is always a big consideration in guessing how over-built that a component was originally. Us featherweights get away with all kinds of things, up to and including old tires (inflated proportionally to actual loading).

Carbon wheels tend to be quite strong structurally, from what I've seen, but I myself would likely only use a matched set of this style of wheel (that's just me).
Old 02-08-21, 10:10 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 183 Posts
I'm with IAB. those wheels are fine to ride, dunno what all the hand-wringing is for. there's so much carbon used in a tri-spoke like that, it's nearly impossible to have a catastrophic failure.
Old 02-12-21, 07:53 PM
scarlson 

After a closer look, the answer seems clearer.

Even without the axles, they weigh 800g. Not horrible, but not great either. You can fairly easily build a clincher wheel of metal that weighs less than this. A tubular wheel, extremely easily! And on top of that, they take freewheels which are often, but not always, heavier than cassettes!

So, for me, it's not really worth it.

Also, inspected them in better light and found this. You can stick a penny in that crack. I'm sorry but No Thank You.

Does anybody want them for the cost of shipping? To use on something that's Not A Bicycle? Happy to include the axles or I could remove them if you're planning on running quick releases and attaching them to a normal bike. Could also put them on a trailer or cart with the stub axles they have now. There are literally thousands of uses!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.