Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I rode a carbon-wonder-bike. I hated it.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I rode a carbon-wonder-bike. I hated it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 10:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, no. I don't think most people with multiple bikes need to make a conscious decision that the bike is staying on the wall, they just decide day to day to ride one of the other bikes, then realize they haven't touched one in months or years.

We make these "by default" decisions all the time, and it can take a while for usto figure out we've fundamentally changed our habits.
It is this exactly. The time between rides of that particular bike became more until one day it had become months. Then years.

Per the encouragement of the posters here, I did get it out into the world since this thread started. As expected, it was a totally different bike than the trainer. It was every bit the thououghbred race machine I remembered. An excellent piece of high performance equipment. But I wouldn't use the word "fun" to describe the experience. The bikes character...I just didn't like it anymore. There was no lively spring. It didn't feel "dead" just dull. Certainly not alive like the other bikes I have been favoring.

A stick got jammed between the crankarm & the chainstay. Now there is a tiny chunk of paint missing, 2, 0.1 inch cracks in the paint radiating out from the "ding" & a 1/4 inch bubble that does not pass the coin-tap test.

On Tuesday I took it to Cervelo dealer I bought the bike from. Per an email from Cervelo, Cervelo has discontinued their crash-replacement program due to supply chain related issues. The email suggested to "Try again in the 3rd quarter 2022."

I think I'm going to get the chainstay professionally x-rayed, reapired. Reinstall the OEM components & sell it. Or at least sell the frame, keep the bits & move everything to a size 56 when one comes along.

Again, thank you all.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-10-21, 11:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
It is this exactly. The time between rides of that particular bike became more until one day it had become months. Then years.

Per the encouragement of the posters here, I did get it out into the world since this thread started. As expected, it was a totally different bike than the trainer. It was every bit the thououghbred race machine I remembered. An excellent piece of high performance equipment. But I wouldn't use the word "fun" to describe the experience. The bikes character...I just didn't like it anymore. There was no lively spring. It didn't feel "dead" just dull. Certainly not alive like the other bikes I have been favoring.

A stick got jammed between the crankarm & the chainstay. Now there is a tiny chunk of paint missing, 2, 0.1 inch cracks in the paint radiating out from the "ding" & a 1/4 inch bubble that does not pass the coin-tap test.

On Tuesday I took it to Cervelo dealer I bought the bike from. Per an email from Cervelo, Cervelo has discontinued their crash-replacement program due to supply chain related issues. The email suggested to "Try again in the 3rd quarter 2022."

I think I'm going to get the chainstay professionally x-rayed, reapired. Reinstall the OEM components & sell it. Or at least sell the frame, keep the bits & move everything to a size 56 when one comes along.

Again, thank you all.

So the "test ride" people suggested was both unsuccessful and actually resulted in the bike getting seriously damaged and you're thanking us?
Man, you're a good sport!

Those repairs sound very expensive. Should you just wait to see if the replacement program kicks in again?
Old 12-10-21, 11:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I also think people sometimes buy equipment because they think the investment will inspire them to actually pursue the activity. I've bought more than a few non-bicycling things to get me to commit to this fitness program or that, and much of it remains unused. That's not a knock on people who successfully use that strategy, just that I think it misses for me and a lot of people. What I'm doing needs to inspire what I'm buying, not the other way around.
That's why have a gym membership. If I get home equipment, it becomes clothes/towel hangers. Don't know why. Going to a gym though, is a routine. Probably stems from the fact I came from a team sports background.
Old 12-10-21, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by seypat
That's why have a gym membership. If I get home equipment, it becomes clothes/towel hangers. Don't know why. Going to a gym though, is a routine. Probably stems from the fact I came from a team sports background.
True story--I got an expensive elliptical last year because I decided I really had no idea when I'll ever feel comfortable going back to the gym. I was just getting myself motivated to actually use it last year while I thought I was recovering from pneumonia and couldn't ride. Turned out I had blood clots in my lungs which was revealed when I literally had a small heart attack working the elliptical and passed out. I'm just now actually using the thing for the last several weeks about a year after the attack as the weather got too cold to bike. Took me a while to get over the thought the damn thing might kill me. Getting a lot of use out of it now.

But yeah, I know what you mean about the routine thing, COVID made me have to try hard to change that "no routines at home" thing.
Old 12-10-21, 07:02 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
So the "test ride" people suggested was both unsuccessful and actually resulted in the bike getting seriously damaged and you're thanking us?
Man, you're a good sport!
The "test ride" confirmed he no longer like the bike, AND WHY too. He can now sell it. Paint chip or no paint chip, he'll net more dollar than it hanging on the wall. Not to mention freeing up space for new fun toys.

So if I were the OP, I would feel I'm ahead.

The suggestions were good.
Old 12-10-21, 07:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by atnyc
The "test ride" confirmed he no longer like the bike, AND WHY too. He can now sell it. Paint chip or no paint chip, he'll net more dollar than it hanging on the wall. Not to mention freeing up space for new fun toys.

So if I were the OP, I would feel I'm ahead.

The suggestions were good.
It's quite a bit more than a paint chip, but I wasn't serious.

OP is a good sport, though. A lot of the comments in this thread were pretty accusatory.
Old 12-10-21, 08:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
A lot of the comments in this thread were pretty accusatory.
Do you think that the thread title, which seemed to be both intentionally misleading and intentionally provocative, followed by a post thin on both logic and details, had anything to do with it? I do.
Old 12-10-21, 08:44 PM
atnyc

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do you think that the thread title, which seemed to be both intentionally misleading and intentionally provocative, followed by a post thin on both logic and details, had anything to do with it? I do.
Maybe it is. But I was in similar situation more than once. So it feels pretty real to me.

A lot of the comments in this thread were pretty accusatory.
That's why I said it was a good thread half of the time!

But really, a cyclist gets humbled all the time. Getting dropped on group rides, being past by someone on an "outdated" bike, or by someone twice your age, feel like puking on long steep climbs. You can't avoid it. So have to learn to laugh at yourself. I know, I know, many never learned that art. And they're morose, or even giving up cycling.

You're right though, the OP is a good sport. A very typical cyclist.
Old 12-10-21, 09:25 PM
WhyFi

Maybe it is. But I was in similar situation more than once. So it feels pretty real to me.
You were in a situation where you evaluated a bike on a trainer, didn't like it and then posted on a forum with a misleading, dog-whistle title?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-10-21, 10:22 PM
atnyc

You were in a situation where you evaluated a bike on a trainer, didn't like it and then posted on a forum with a misleading, dog-whistle title?
Your world is all about forums?
Old 12-10-21, 10:45 PM
WhyFi

Your world is all about forums?
Non-sequitur much? I really have no desire to unravel this disconnect of yours - have fun riding.
Old 12-10-21, 11:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No. I think you're being ridiculous.
Old 12-11-21, 06:06 AM
WhyFi

No. I think you're being ridiculous.
Yes, I'm being ridiculous because he didn't ride the bike and its frame material had nothing to do with his problems, but both made the headline declaration of his hate. Got it.
Old 12-11-21, 06:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If he had kissed a girl while riding the wonder bike, would the outcome have been different?
Old 12-11-21, 06:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yes, I'm being ridiculous because he didn't ride the bike and its frame material had nothing to do with his problems, but both made the headline declaration of his hate. Got it.

You are being ridiculous because you're acting like that matters. Are you a member of the Carbon Fiber Anti-Defamation League? Also, when people politely pointed out that Zwift might not be a good test and asked him questions, he politely answered the questions and rode the bike to test it. There was no reason for your extremely rude accusatory posts and your "he started it" is pretty childish.

They're machines, you don't need to identify with them and get outraged on their behalf.

There was no reason for you to post this, and basically you were completely wrong and haven't acknowledged that:

"How about you stop being cutesy, trying to make it about something that it's not, and actually talk about what your issue is? At this point, it sounds to me like life happened, you fell out of shape and now you want to blame it on an inanimate object.".

Oh, that poor beleaguered inanimate object! We must give voice to the voiceless inanimate objects!

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-11-21 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-11-21, 06:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

"Dog-whistle"? Are you kidding? Quit playing like you or someone (thing) was a victim here.
Old 12-11-21, 08:45 AM
WhyFi

"Dog-whistle"? Are you kidding? Quit playing like you or someone (thing) was a victim here.
Lol. Playing the victim? Anti-defamation? Okay, Kevin Costner - sorry I gave your Whitney the side-eye.

I don't give a rip what anybody chooses to ride, but it's tiring that some BFer turns it in to something it's not, so as to rally the retro-grouches and He-Men Carbon Haters Club to reinforce a decision he'd already made and attempted to justify solely with a nonsensical test ride on a trainer.

If someone's got a problem and needs advice, great - be honest with yourself and to the others, from whom you're seeking feedback, and I'm happy to help, if I can. Hell, I'm even happy to tell someone what they want to hear, as long as they're upfront about it. The flip side is that I'll gladly call out the ********ting of a ********ter.

​​​​​And with that, I'll take my leave of this oh-so-BF thread, but know that I-eeee-I will always l loooove yoooooo-oo-oou!
Old 12-11-21, 10:34 AM
atnyc

OP is a good sport, though. A lot of the comments in this thread were pretty accusatory.
I now see what you mean.

But as you say, the OP is a good sport. I bet he's having a good fun time reading this latest off the tangent drift of the thread while watching his accuser frothing in the mouth.
Old 12-11-21, 11:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lol. Playing the victim? Anti-defamation? Okay, Kevin Costner - sorry I gave your Whitney the side-eye.

I don't give a rip what anybody chooses to ride, but it's tiring that some BFer turns it in to something it's not, so as to rally the retro-grouches and He-Men Carbon Haters Club to reinforce a decision he'd already made and attempted to justify solely with a nonsensical test ride on a trainer.

If someone's got a problem and needs advice, great - be honest with yourself and to the others, from whom you're seeking feedback, and I'm happy to help, if I can. Hell, I'm even happy to tell someone what they want to hear, as long as they're upfront about it. The flip side is that I'll gladly call out the ********ting of a ********ter.

​​​​​And with that, I'll take my leave of this oh-so-BF thread, but know that I-eeee-I will always l loooove yoooooo-oo-oou!

Obviously, OP and the rest of us are secretly racist against carbon fiber! Busted!

Seriously, do you even know what "dog whistle" means? And your description of what op did here is so off-base as to be comical. There's no general attack on carbon here, just him describing how he fell out of love with what he thought was his dream bike just a few years ago. You just sound paranoid, frankly.

Enough, but remember no one asked you to ask me if I thought OP's posting justified your really obnoxious posts. You singled yourself out.

​​​​​​
Old 12-11-21, 11:09 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I'd bet that most people who opened this thread thought it was going to be another carbon vs. steel/Ti/Al throw down, and I suspect the title was chosen for that reason.
Old 12-11-21, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'd bet that most people who opened this thread thought it was going to be another carbon vs. steel/Ti/Al throw down, and I suspect the title was chosen for that reason.

So when you read the op and see that neither of those suspicions are justified, it's still fair game to attack the op's "fitness"?
I took it from the title AND the OP that the OP was using " carbon" to indicate the bike was close to state of the art when he bought it.
Maybe people who love carbon should stop worrying so much about whether there's someone who's going to say they don't like it. If I rode it, I'd be annoyed if people told me I shouldn't like it or made up the usual crap about its lack of safety, but OP didn't even get close to doing that, and if there's any of that on this thread, I must have missed it.
Old 12-11-21, 02:37 PM
atnyc

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Nope! I assumed it's about an expensive high end bike that doesn't quite work out!

And I assumption was backed up by the post contents as a correct one.

Only people who had an axe to grind would insist it's about carbon vs steel. (or titanium...)
Likes For atnyc:
Old 12-11-21, 03:23 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
My Flyte SRS-3 aluminum road bike can be really stiff, unyielding and just plain boring. But this impression is a bit of a moving target that dissipates since it is my favorite bike that I ride more than anything. I've always speculated that it's stiffness becomes more of an asset as my fitness ratchets into the "fit" category and not the "in training" category.
Old 12-11-21, 03:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
This I assume references the current "fun" bike that is livelier and not dead feeling https://www.bikeforums.net/22315969-post51.html
Old 12-11-21, 03:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This I assume references the current "fun" bike that is livelier and not dead feeling https://www.bikeforums.net/22315969-post51.html

On a commute or gravel? That bike looks like a lot of fun to me!

Are you really going to start arguing taste?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.