Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying Binachi

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help identifying Binachi

Old 05-14-22, 07:04 AM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Bikes: Bianchi Cielo, Miyata 1000, Marinoni Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Help identifying Binachi

I recently got this Bianchi, 55cm seat tube, S/N B9 03733 ( or could be 89 03733 ), Giepemme dropouts, Columbus chromor sticker, the down tube is like SBX ( getting oval towards the bottom bracket ), 27.2mm seat post. I was wondering how old is this bike exactly and is the Cromor sticker applied later since the downtube is an SBX? Any other thoughts and observations? Thanks.

r
Old 05-14-22, 07:59 AM
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Don't know the date from serial number (someone will be along soon!). In the meantime, you can check the date codes of the Shimano components. Look on the inside of the crank arms, on the hubs, etc. Then check here:

https://www.vintageshimano.com/blog/...ano-date-codes
Old 05-14-22, 01:34 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
This one is a real puzzle. The decals point to 1988-1989, while the serial number is from early 1989. However, that's too earlier for a Superset 2 style downtube which was oval at the BB end, with the major axis oriented laterally. The components are Shimano New 600EX, which are 1984-1987. Since it's friction shidting, their likely from the earlier half of that time frame. It appears to have been completely rebuilt with non-OEM componets, as even the headset wouldn't be orignal. There's no front derailleur hanger, so we shouldn't be looking at Columbus SPX/SLX or even SP/SL. The Cromor decal is probably correct. During this era, Canada received Brava manufactured in Italy with Cromor but I don't recall then coming with a Unicrown fork and they didn't have the Supereset 2 down tube..
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-14-22, 05:14 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,488 Posts
That BB shell and bridge are different from the ones on my SBX but…it has semi vertical dropouts and I believe the earliest ones had a horizontal, at least looking at the US market indicates this.

the overall appears of the frame looks a lot like the ‘89 Sport SX but again they wouldn’t have that DT or dropouts

BTW is Bianchi engraved on the top of shell

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-15-22, 06:09 AM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Originally Posted by T-Mar
This one is a real puzzle. The decals point to 1988-1989, while the serial number is from early 1989. However, that's too earlier for a Superset 2 style downtube which was oval at the BB end, with the major axis oriented laterally. The components are Shimano New 600EX, which are 1984-1987. Since it's friction shidting, their likely from the earlier half of that time frame. It appears to have been completely rebuilt with non-OEM componets, as even the headset wouldn't be orignal. There's no front derailleur hanger, so we shouldn't be looking at Columbus SPX/SLX or even SP/SL. The Cromor decal is probably correct. During this era, Canada received Brava manufactured in Italy with Cromor but I don't recall then coming with a Unicrown fork and they didn't have the Supereset 2 down tube..
Thanks so much T_Mar. I forgot to mention that the front derailleur is Shimano RX100 ( everything else is Shimano 600 even the rims have 600 hubs and are tubular to my surprise after got home ). This RX100 may be the original component to this model as you alluded to. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-22, 06:18 AM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
That BB shell and bridge are different from the ones on my SBX but…it has semi vertical dropouts and I believe the earliest ones had a horizontal, at least looking at the US market indicates this.

the overall appears of the frame looks a lot like the ‘89 Sport SX but again they wouldn’t have that DT or dropouts

BTW is Bianchi engraved on the top of shell
There is no engraving anywhere except for the serial number at the bottom, not even the letter "B", however, there are "B" stickers on the fork and on the top of the seat stays. Incidentally, the rear dropout spacing is 130mm instead of 126. I wonder if it that is original to this frame or has been spread by the previous owner. I have to familiarize myself more with the different terminologies in this biking world like "vertical dropouts" ( is that different than just dropout? ), and "bridge". I'll google them later. Thanks so much Bianchigirl.
Old 05-15-22, 06:34 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
There seem to be lots of nonconforming, "head-scratcher" Bianchis out there. Mine checks all the boxes for a 1982 (frame made in late 1981) Campione d'Italia, except for the "charcoal" color, which is not listed in the catalog for that year.

Original equipment matched 1982 Campione d'Italia specs. Frame date is late 1981. "Charcoal" color not found in catalog listing.

(Shimano aero brake levers are not original, but their shorter reach and improved leverage are critical safety features that, along with the KoolSTop brake pads, compensate for the inferior stopping power provided by the brake calipers. Other component swaps include the Serfas ARC saddle and the 14-26 SunTour freewheel, to accommodate local hills better than the OEM 13-23 Regina America.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-15-22, 08:10 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by gsulit@shaw.ca
Thanks so much T_Mar. I forgot to mention that the front derailleur is Shimano RX100 ( everything else is Shimano 600 even the rims have 600 hubs and are tubular to my surprise after got home ). This RX100 may be the original component to this model as you alluded to. Thanks again.
I don't believe that RX100 is original. RX100 wasn't introduced untilt eh 1990 model year and it's price level was low enough that it typically came on Asian manufactured Binchi, at least in Canada and the USA. Your Bianchi is definitely Italian manufacture based on the Gipiemme dropouts.
Old 05-15-22, 09:27 PM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't believe that RX100 is original. RX100 wasn't introduced untilt eh 1990 model year and it's price level was low enough that it typically came on Asian manufactured Binchi, at least in Canada and the USA. Your Bianchi is definitely Italian manufacture based on the Gipiemme dropouts.
Thanks, T-Mar. I have another question about the rear spacing, its 130 mm right now. I suspect that this was cold set by the previous owner and was originally 126 mm since it is 6 speed. The rear tire on there right now is 126 mm and I had to squeeze the dropouts to mount the tire. What do you think? Thanks.