Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

State Bicycle Company framesets: What's the catch?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-22, 07:42 AM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

The State Bicycle Company 4130 All Road framesets are incredibly inexpensive, considering we are in the year 2022 and everything that's happened. I stumbled upon this from doing research for a sort of "anything" bike with a heavy emphasis on rough roads and dirt roads, mostly because of where I live.

The geometry is exactly what I'm looking for. It has a 68mm BB so I can use my road cranks. I wish it could take somewhat fatter tires, but 45mm 700c is OK for my purposes.

So what's the catch? There's no free lunch, you get what you pay for, etc. The only thing that brings a red flag is the lack of the word "butted" anyplace on the website. Could this be the catch? Could this frameset really be any worse (practically speaking) than my Surly disc trucker frameset?

I've read what little there is out there on the interwebs. There are no actual facts given about the frame itself. However, aside from stating "4130" and "butted", other companies don't really tell us anything, either.

If anyone has any knowledge about this, please share. Hey, at least they're available!
Old 05-15-22, 08:17 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
We sell State at my shop, and consensus there is that they're fine. Unexceptional and not especially light, they’re a low-cost, basic steel frameset that performs reasonably well and should last a long time. If I was on a budget, I’d definitely take one for a test ride.
Old 05-15-22, 09:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
I tested State MTB when they tried their hand in that discipline and agree with the above. They were constructed well, and unexceptional in most respects except value.
Old 05-15-22, 09:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
It is a popular low cost bike nothing special though some fun stuff with Simpsons and Wu-Tang Clan and others. Nothing amazing but not total crap. If you want one get one and if not no worries.