Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chiappini bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chiappini bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 11:18 AM
MrBaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chiappini bicycles

Anyone know anything about this frame builder/brand of bicycle? The only thing I can seem to figure out is that it's named after Pietro Chiappini, an Italian cyclist who won the Milano-Turino a few times, along with some other races.

I've found two occurrences of the bikes on the internet (I am a newbie to bikes still and don't know how to find things), one being a local bike restoration shop : https://www.therecyclery.com/bikes/chiappini and one being ... in Japanese : https://www.restorenomori.com/000.html

Thanks all!

Last edited by MrBaker; 07-03-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-24-09, 05:07 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone?

East Hill
Old 07-03-09, 05:24 PM
MrBaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got mine in today:

frame's in need of some good lovin', but I don't even know where to start. Logos are cracking. Has a campy sticker "prodotti speciali". Anyone know what that means? The fork ends are campy. I'm not sure if the original color was red, or someone tried to paint it red once? I think it was red as there is another one at the recyclery here in Portland that's red and this one must have been painted blue?

No serial number at all. Logo on the seat tube says Chiappini (edit ROMA, not Italia). Engraved on the drive side drop out is the number "17". No where else is something engraved.

Anyone know anything?

Last edited by MrBaker; 07-03-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 05:33 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBaker
Has a campy sticker "prodotti speciali". Anyone know what that means?
It basically means special product...Other than that I have no clue. Looks early 70's to me. What size seat post? Any brazed on cable guides there?

Edit: I see a BB cable guide and a rear derailleur cable stop...

Check out my bike blog!
Old 07-03-09, 07:57 PM
MrBaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpug505
It basically means special product...Other than that I have no clue. Looks early 70's to me. What size seat post? Any brazed on cable guides there?

Edit: I see a BB cable guide and a rear derailleur cable stop...
No brake cable guides, but it does have those, yes. The seat post tube is 27.0.

Thinking it must be the 70s too. Went to the recyclery today to see if they still had theirs, or if anyone knew any info on it. Guy/gal working didn't really know anything about it but referred me to Demetri at Veloce, said he knows a bunch about old, obscure Italian frames, so I'll try there and see what he knows.

PS: Thanks for the translation, that's exactly what I was thinking it meant, but I know there are such things as false friends, even with the romance languages. Any deeper inside to this sticker? Like, perhaps it's on there for a reason?

Last edited by MrBaker; 07-03-09 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 12:13 PM
franco2020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chiappini

Hello there.
I just saw you post about Chiappini Bikes. I have owned one since 1974. I purchased it used in Palermo Italy. I believe it was built between 1968 and 1973. She is fully equipped with Campagnolo parts and in perfect condition. I live in South Florida and usually ride it in the winter since it is too hot in summer. "Prodotti Speciali" means special products. Chiappini had a shop in Rome Italy sometime in the 60s. But that is all I know. I think they have been out of business for a while.
CIAO

Got mine in today:

frame's in need of some good lovin', but I don't even know where to start. Logos are cracking. Has a campy sticker "prodotti speciali". Anyone know what that means? The fork ends are campy. I'm not sure if the original color was red, or someone tried to paint it red once? I think it was red as there is another one at the recyclery here in Portland that's red and this one must have been painted blue?

No serial number at all. Logo on the seat tube says Chiappini (edit ROMA, not Italia). Engraved on the drive side drop out is the number "17". No where else is something engraved.

Anyone know anything?
Attached Images
Old 03-12-11, 04:06 AM
zakkendrager

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more info on Chiappini

I know this thread is cold so perhaps everyone has moved on...I also owned a Chiappini. I bought it new at their shop in Roma on Via Gaeta in 1976 and road it over the Italian Alps to Frankfort and all over Israel. It wasn't anything special; cost about $175 with low end Campi components. It was red with same decals as in the pictures previously posted and from memory it was about 23 inch frame size. At one point I put a set of Campi Nuovo Record components on the frame from my Gitane Super Corsa frame that cracked. Later, when I found a nice Mondia frame at Sellwood Cycle (Portland, OR) I stripped the Chiappini frame of the good components and sold the frame on consignment at Sellwood Cycle. That was probably about 2000. So, its possible that the frame that was seen at the Recyclery was the same frame. They are pretty rare. It rode okay for a steel, non-butted frame.

The shop was a "trip". They built all bikes from components on the spot. You told them your price range and they put it together. The mechanic could build a set of wheels from scratch in about 30 minutes. He never stopped talking while he built the wheels unless a pretty woman walked by.

Ralph
Likes For zakkendrager:
Old 03-14-11, 01:08 PM
MrBaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the information. My chiappini has been a blast to ride since I got it back then. I've been on many, many adventures on it and ride it almost daily (mostly for commuting nowadays

Just out of curiosity, did you stop and see my bike and talk to me a year or two back out in front of Safeway in Raleigh Hills? I really did appreciate that if it was you. It's nice to know about a bike you love so much, you know?
Old 03-14-11, 01:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
If you Google Image Search the name Chiappini, make sure you have Safesearch on.

Carry on.

Old 03-17-11, 01:22 AM
zakkendrager

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MrBaker, That was me as I live in Raleigh Park area of Portland. I probably told you most of what I knew at that time and above. But, my wife was in Rome this week and tried to find that shop; no luck. Glad to hear that its still giving you good service; after I brought it home from Rome, I rode it many years on the peninsula south of San Francisco, through the hills overlooking the coast all around San Francisco and commuting, too, before I moved with it to Portland. Its seen a lot of miles and places. Most of the original components from the Chiappini ended up on a Fuji Royale frame (80's vintage) that I also offed at Sellwood Cycle. Ralph
Old 03-02-13, 05:14 PM
ron steege

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey u guys. I have been riding a chiappini since around 1976 or 77. I was a crew member for Pan American airlines and bought the bike in Rome via Gaet, from the small........really small shop where they made the bikes. I have painted it several times over the years and put new components on it. along with aero bars and better wheels.............but the frame is still solid and strong. I bought a Trek Tri bike last year and would like to spend some time to really clean up my old friend............does anyone have any idea where I could get some original decals**********? As much as I love my new Trek..nothing will ever replace my old Chiappini................ron 770 468 5411 barnesville, ga
Old 03-02-13, 05:26 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Ron, I can't help with your stickers but you should take your phone number off your post or you are going to get a lot of phone calls for home security systems.
Old 03-02-13, 06:33 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I don't know about home security systems but Ron has a dozen pizzas headed to his place right now.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-25-14, 02:57 AM
slotcar55

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your Chiappini Frame

hello sir,
I'm pretty sure 100 percent that his frame Chiappini , was built by Angelo Galmozzi , as Chiappini was also a customer of Galmozzi , and the features of its chassis coincinono across to those of Galmozzi
al my best

Got mine in today:

Anyone know anything?
Old 11-25-14, 06:30 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by slotcar55
hello sir,
I'm pretty sure 100 percent that his frame Chiappini , was built by Angelo Galmozzi , as Chiappini was also a customer of Galmozzi , and the features of its chassis coincinono across to those of Galmozzi
al my best
Lottery win!
Old 03-31-16, 04:28 AM
TELIAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and I found the bike with that name ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160331_101837.jpg (97.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg
20160331_101842.jpg (96.0 KB, 130 views)
Old 05-16-22, 01:49 AM
keidal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by slotcar55
hello sir,
al my best
Hello,
This frame was probably red originally and was built by Galmozzi. If you scrape the paint away, where the badge would be on the head tube, you will see engaved - Galmozzi Super Competizione. The date code is similarly shown on the underside of the bottom bracket. The frame is from the 1950's era.