Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Headwinds?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Headwinds?

Old 05-14-20, 03:02 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Headwinds?

These days it is "Who cares?". I use my Verve+2 and it doesn't matter unless I get cavalier about my charge level and get "stuck" out with a 51 pound bike and no assist. I retired so it doesn't matter as much but I used to go to work in the spring against a north headwind. I would go home 10 or more hours later and have a south headwind. Am I the only one like that? Or do other people experience it? I would go in around 0400 and leave when the work was done. That would be 10 hours or more. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-14-20, 07:49 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I'm in socal; usually we look forward to any wind (usually minimal) since it provides a cooler environment for activities.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-14-20, 12:41 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Gimme any wind. What do I care. These days, I love wind when I ride as it lowers the risk of catching an airborne virus off a nearby rider, walker, or whatever when riding a bike.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 05-14-20, 03:05 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, there is never any wind in the morning when I go in (unless something very nasty is brewing in the atmosphere). But if there is any wind in the afternoon, it is always in my face as I commute to the west. So, I never get a tail wind, but often get a head wind - especially in the spring.
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-15-20, 09:33 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
We can get some heavy winds off the Bay, in the 20+mph range. Before I got my motor, I always thought twice about riding on those really windy days. Now I don't even give it a consideration. It has to be blowing so hard that it gets crap in my eyes in spite of my glasses to make me reconsider now. And sometimes it will be fine when I head out on my ride without assist, and wind will come up on the way home - no biggie - just turn on the motor =). Level 1 seems to just about make the ride feel like the wind isn't blowing, like a normal ride on a windless day - having that offset is amazing. Just adds to the "no excuse" mentality.
Likes For linberl:
Old 05-15-20, 10:25 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I don't make myself ride enough. But I am going to search for fishing ponds within a reasonable perimeter. And do a few early morning/ evening rides. So my mileage will go over the 100 mark fast as I go here and there. Not as much chance of virus if I'm on the move or by myself on the pond bank. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Likes For Bluesfrog: