Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The most underrated vintage bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The most underrated vintage bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 11:10 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I hate that "underrated" thing... who's rating?

I do know that Schwinns are greatly disrespected. There's people that can honestly not think of any Schwinn as only a 60 pound gas pipe tank.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-16-20, 11:14 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I hate that "underrated" thing... who's rating?

I do know that Schwinns are greatly disrespected. There's people that can honestly not think of any Schwinn as only a 60 pound gas pipe tank.
Ironically the reason the 80s ones are disrespected is also because the actual Schwinn collectors sometimes won't touch the Panasonic/Bridgestone stuff with a ten foot pole.

As heavy as they are, electroforged Schwinn bikes really were engineered well. Getting a derailleur equipped bike durable enough for kids/consumer use is by no means a simple problem.
Old 08-16-20, 11:49 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
This, all freakin' day long. I'm always amazed/thrilled at how little it can cost to land a really well-made handbuilt frame from one of the lesser-known US builders. Then I'm always amazed/depressed/traumatized at how little I can get when I try to sell one. I understand few ever heard of them, and so they are therefore seldom dream/grail/nostalgia buys for anybody. Obscurity is not the kind of rarity that brings high prices. Great when you're buying, crappy on the other end.

You can add a few smaller, semi-production builders to the mix as well.

It's the fundamental equation that bothers me. You have very skilled builders, often with hundreds/+ frames under their belts, building frames one at a time, with much more care and attention than can be done on a production line. Yet clean factory production frames, granted some of them iconic, can sell for lots more. Or the used small-volume frames/bikes sell for a much lower percentage of original price than factory/production frames/completes.

On one level I totally get it, but on another level I just can't wrap my brain around it.

There are also apparently sellers more stubborn than me, who keep relisting stuff like this at prices they think/hope it's worth, but nobody's buying.

The US builder list could be exhaustive, from my own experience I've bought/ridden/sold/kept:

Walter Croll: first only Croll himself, then sold to a small group of builders after some drama
Davidson: small group of builders; Impulse are tight/racy, Navigator are sport-tour, with better tire clearance
Giuseppe Marinoni: well, Canada, but Marinoni's built heaps o' frames, and they seldom sell for big $$$
Bernie Mikkelsen: very prolific, Bernies built thousands of frames since the '70s
Peter Mooney: current/recent frames are very elaborate, but '70s-'80s stuff not so much, with lower prices
Dave Moulton/Fuso: high asking prices, low-ish actual selling prices, when they sell
Serotta: maybe a stretch, but phenomenal builders went through there, and earlier frames aren't pricey
Spectrum/Kellogg: 21st-century bikes sell high, but '80s-era not so much
Ron Stout
Rob Stowe/Phase 3
Waterford: I have a W'ford connection and am biased, but even relatively recent W'fords can sell for a fraction of new pricing

I don't know a lot about one-man British builders, but there are smaller-volume British brands that are often overlooked. Bob Jacksons often seem to get good prices, probably because so many were imported in the '70s-'80s and so in a lot of catalogs. Not so much for:

Holdsworth
Mercian: still in business, you can still order yourself a new one; recent ones can still bring some dollars, but older ones can be relative bargains
MKM
Chas. Roberts
Woodrup

As for Italian, oy vey. My nephew is stationed in Italy now, got a hankering for "an Erioca bike," and was texting me photos of the affordable stuff in his local shops, near Vincenza. So many Italian names I never, ever heard of, on really nice-looking frames. Some small builders, some major brands I had never heard of.

Originally Posted by repechage
[snip]

to keep an eye out for? Small American builders, many were one man shows. Regional appeal when new, often overlooked, bypassed now.
There are so many, one has to be diligent though to not miss out.
Old 08-16-20, 12:04 PM
sheddle

Someone's actually selling a full-531 MKM for $300 here- Shimano Crane rear mech too. Gorgeous looking lugs on it, I'd get it if I had space for another bike.
Old 08-16-20, 12:20 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Thruhiker
The lugged frame Free Spirits. I have no idea what year those were made. Why does every one hate them? I have thousands of around town miles on mine. Never have replaced anything other then chain tire and tubes. Maybe I was lucky and got the only good one made. For pavement it rides decent. Definitely not as nice as my fuji though.
My Dad got one around 1970. I didn't want it. I wanted a U-08, French like his bike... So he gave it to me, and got the Free Spirit, with alloy rims, blah, blah, blah. I learned. But what a beauty, that U-08.
Old 08-16-20, 12:21 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Chrome Ross MTBs
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-16-20, 12:31 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
When it came time to choose between them I sold my Chicago-built Paramount and kept my Panasonic-built Volare. Not necessarily the same species as the mid/late 80s models, though I've had a couple of those as well.

Underrated? Count me in for those Japanese Schwinns.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 08-16-20, 12:36 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Whit51
Batavus. Ouch.
Tubing, dimensions and ride almost identical to Gios frames, at 1/3 the price. Corollary- Gios frames ride superbly.
Old 08-16-20, 12:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The ~1980 Japanese-built Bianchi Super.
Un-branded DB CrMo tubing but rather light, and the geometry was pure upright Italian race bike.
Seemingly the Japanese equivalent of the Italian-built Nuovo Racing model from ~1982.
Componentry was Arabesque 600 but with Gran-Compe Italian-looking brakes.
These came fitted with rather short stems, and the less-great, early 6s freehub, but other than that...

My 1990's Mondonico-built Masi is another stellar performer, as is my Davidson Impulse.

Last edited by dddd; 08-16-20 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-16-20, 01:36 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I have been working with rigid frame 80's mtn bikes lately converting them into city utility bikes. I am finding the old Schwinn s equal to most all of the other makes of the period. In the end, it is the frame that matters and theirs are fine. I just finished modernizing a Schwinn Sierra with a black chrome frame and it came out beautiful. Schwinn made sooo many different models there were bound to be the good, the bad, and the ugly, and some that were just weird, like the one with the front freewheel.
Old 08-16-20, 01:57 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
1. Centurion Ironman, Elite RS and Lemans RS: performance for the price.
2. Those mid-80s Schwinns, for sure, Tempo comes to mind, but Prologue, Peloton, Circuit. Just never got the cred...
3. The Raleigh "Racing USA" series, for beauty and solid quality.
4. The Schwinn PDG Series Paramounts and the Schwinn "number series" Aluminums. Deceptively good.
5. Early Trek lugged steels were kind of overshadowed by others until Trek became the monstrosity it now is.

Schwinn sort of got dumped on from about 1985 through the Aluminums.
Paramount elitists with inferiority complexes panned them left and right, aided by the cycling press and the Italian elitists, as well.
Yep my PDG Paramount is a really, really good bike. I can't see ever getting rid of this one. It's a rocket and I choose keeping it over a mint 1987 waterford built Paramount. The PDG is just soooooooooo much better on the road.

This thing is a rocket and climbs much better than it should for it's weight.

This aluminum Schwinn was a cheap local buy on a whim. Didn't expect much from it yet it's also quite a good ride and look beautiful. My son has it but I want it back, LOL!

Not a harsh ride at all even though I was expecting it to be.
Old 08-16-20, 02:39 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Pretty bike.
Old 08-16-20, 03:08 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
1970's Windsor Profesionals.

Likes For Manny66:
Old 08-16-20, 03:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
who's rating?
I guess we are.
Old 08-16-20, 04:43 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Nishiki Tri-A, equal to the Ironman, half the respect.
Old 08-16-20, 05:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
And at the risk of repeating myself I'll give the Vitus 979 a shout-out as well. The exact same thing Sean Kelly won his races on, and you can have it for a couple hundred dollars. Underrated by the economy anyway.
I agree on the under-rating, but comparing a production bike to what the pros were riding; the appearance is about the only corresponding thing. Perhaps Sean's bikes were off the rack, which would have been very unusual, given the stakes involved with any rider racing at that level. There are subtle differences almost every time, all with good reason, in both the frames they were riding and the components on those frames. Sponsor logos were present, but nearly every OEM bolt and nut was replaced if there was anything better available, and cost was not much of a deterrence for a 12-bike lineup. You simply don't race for that kind of money on what any rider can walk in and buy retail. Grams and watts add up over long races; every advantage is sought.
Old 08-16-20, 05:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
This aluminum Schwinn was a cheap local buy on a whim. Didn't expect much from it yet it's also quite a good ride and look beautiful. My son has it but I want it back, LOL!

Not a harsh ride at all even though I was expecting it to be.
I "rebuilt" one of those for a kid on a racing team, put on a carbon fork, modern stem, etc. powder coated.
Modern wheels, components, etc. His fellow athletes thought it was carbon and he never corrected them.
Old 08-16-20, 06:42 PM
kwhiner

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '84 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Four of my favs, all just happen to be mid-late-'80s Schwinns 2 Paramounts and 2 Tenex frames!!

'86 Prelude

'86 Paramount

'85 Le Tour Luxe

'89 Paramount
Likes For kwhiner:
Old 08-16-20, 06:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Univega never really became one of “those” bikes that people really sought after. But they were actually well made.

I have to confess that back in the 80’s I thought Univega was a Japanese brand that wasn’t quite at the same level as some other Japanese bikes, like Bridgestone or Panasonic.

But my wife still has her 1986 Viva Sport that she rides with a flat bar.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-16-20, 08:08 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I agree on the under-rating, but comparing a production bike to what the pros were riding; the appearance is about the only corresponding thing. Perhaps Sean's bikes were off the rack, which would have been very unusual, given the stakes involved with any rider racing at that level. There are subtle differences almost every time, all with good reason, in both the frames they were riding and the components on those frames. Sponsor logos were present, but nearly every OEM bolt and nut was replaced if there was anything better available, and cost was not much of a deterrence for a 12-bike lineup. You simply don't race for that kind of money on what any rider can walk in and buy retail. Grams and watts add up over long races; every advantage is sought.
Glad you agree with me about them being underrated!

I know it was as you say the majority of the time, but it is unlikely that the industrial process of building Vitus 979 frames could have been applied to one-offs in the same way steel framebuilders often did for high-level competition. Tubes had to be formed to a female taper using rollers, heat-treated, anodized, and etched, before being bonded in a special jig. Castings joining those tubes could have been specially lightened or the "best" ones hand-selected from large batches beforehand, but the scope of this is limited. Variations in the parts necessitate variations in the tooling: to make the tubes and castings, and possibly to join them as well.

Furthermore, the art of joining an aluminum bicycle frame with tapered joints and epoxy was only patented in 1978, and Sean Kelly had the points classification in the TDF on one by '82. There wasn't much time for engineers to go after marginal gains in this novel system. Certainly they could have tried, but I don't think they would have come up with anything noticeable. I'm sure they were tearing their hair out just to make it work and not come apart. According to this video from the CNRS (centre national de la recherche scientifique), from 1983, destructive testing was still being conducted at that time, and chemical treatments investigated.

I'm not suggesting he didn't have a titanium or other alloy bolt or nut here or there, or some drilled-out tubular rims changed after every stage, or superleggero bearing balls, but based on what I know about industry, I think it would be hard to make a custom Vitus 979 frame, or even use some "special" race tubing to any effect, especially on such short time scale. An off-the-rack Vitus 979 stands a better chance of being what the pros rode - or at least very close to it - than its steel competitors.

Last edited by scarlson; 08-16-20 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-16-20, 08:24 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Medici.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-16-20, 08:32 PM
sheddle

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Univega never really became one of “those” bikes that people really sought after. But they were actually well made.

I have to confess that back in the 80’s I thought Univega was a Japanese brand that wasn’t quite at the same level as some other Japanese bikes, like Bridgestone or Panasonic.

But my wife still has her 1986 Viva Sport that she rides with a flat bar.

John
A lot of them were literally just Miyatas. I think in certain years the Specialissima is effectively a rebadged Miyata 1000 which would sell for twice the price with different stickers.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-16-20, 09:06 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Panasonic, Ross Signature series.
Old 08-16-20, 09:48 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Medici.....
They were Priced the same as the top Italian bikes in their day, and they were used by the Chevrolet-L.A. Sheriffs Pro Cycling team.
Hardly under rated.
Old 08-16-20, 10:59 PM
Oldbill
Touring Rocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Mid 80's Japanese bikes built by Kawamura and Kuwahara with CrMo double/triple/quad butted frames.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.