Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Change my mind about repainting this frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 09:26 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

I really want to repaint this frame metallic green but the original paint is almost too good to mess with (almost).

Convince me not to paint by telling me how to remove the dopey decals so I keep just the beautiful gold and oxblood red factory paint!

Also, I bought this for $20 thinking it was lo-end everything, which is mostly true, but it's Tange Infinity tubing, made in Japan. And check out that shiny crank! That's definitely getting reused!

Old 08-17-20, 09:32 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
The decals look great, don't take them off
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 08-17-20, 11:11 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
The paint looks good, and I like that scheme. Don't remove the decals...looks like their original. I'd just clean it up...maybe upgrade/modernize some of the components...and ride it.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-17-20, 11:20 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
don't bother with a painting to do it right is a ton of work and unless you use automotive paints it won't be durable at all. and to do it right costs way more than you would think

Nice centurion, frame probably made my Miyata Imho that is a nice looking paint scheme

Old 08-17-20, 11:30 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Looks like it's got some tire clearance.

I'd try acetone to take the decals off. If that doesn't do it, you buffing them off with a polishing compound and a cloth wheel. Or if they are even more stubbon, as in painted onw, you could use very fine sandpaper, 800 grit and above, to carefully remove the letters without removing too much paint around them. Then you'll have to sand with really fine stuff, like 2000 grit, then polish the paint. Pretty tedious.

Please post the after photos when you get it done. I love trash to treasure threads.
Old 08-17-20, 11:39 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
I'd try acetone to take the decals off.
Depending on the type of paint, acetone is likely to remove, or at least damage, it too. If the decals are on the surface of the paint, adhesive tape rubbed over them and stripped off may remove them. If they are under a clear coat, nothing but sanding will get to them.

As noted by you, the frame is the only reasonably high quality part on this bike and the Suguino crank is decent. Everything else is very low-line.
Old 08-17-20, 12:09 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by HillRider
Depending on the type of paint, acetone is likely to remove, or at least damage, it too. If the decals are on the surface of the paint, adhesive tape rubbed over them and stripped off may remove them. If they are under a clear coat, nothing but sanding will get to them.

As noted by you, the frame is the only reasonably high quality part on this bike and the Suguino crank is decent. Everything else is very low-line.
Yep, everything is going on the trash heap, save for the crank and frame. I am going to replace the old BB axle setup also with a cartridge. Good bike for $20 I paid and I like the HED rims paired with it, but it's for riding and will never be a collector piece.
Old 08-17-20, 01:33 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

I actually don't think the rest of the components are espeically low end, more mid level to upder mid level for the period. looks like suntour power ratcheting levers....which work grreat and a stem mount can be good for a city bike. cant tell what the brakes are but would bet on diacompe....and of course the suicide levers are terrible, but period. cant quite tell what the derailler is. stem and seatpost look at least mid level

Not sure what the op has in in mind, but a bike like this makes a great city bike with just putting new bars like the velo orange postino and brake levers on.

but it should ride well centurion of this period were well made

Old 08-17-20, 03:02 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I actually don't think the rest of the components are espeically low end, more mid level to upder mid level for the period. looks like suntour power ratcheting levers....which work grreat and a stem mount can be good for a city bike. cant tell what the brakes are but would bet on diacompe....and of course the suicide levers are terrible, but period. cant quite tell what the derailler is. stem and seatpost look at least mid level

Not sure what the op has in in mind, but a bike like this makes a great city bike with just putting new bars like the velo orange postino and brake levers on.

but it should ride well centurion of this period were well made
Thanks! The seatpost will get reused, it's some fluted thing. I don't get to hung up on those.

The brakes are alloy diacomp. They will be replaced with some dual pivot ones, probably tektro, with a little more reach for the 700c brake track.

I am thinking 700x38C Gravelkings and some VO Milan handlebars or similar. I'll take it down to 1 chainring and throw my Ultegra 6600 long cage on there and a wide range 10 speed cassette.

I would love to use my dura ace barend shifter as a thumb shifter, but I cannot locate a mount that works as such.

So what does that make it? A city-gravel-cruiser? Sounds about right. Basically will be my backup/loaner bike for when my brother is in town or my bike is down for repairs. I coudn't resist at $20
Old 08-17-20, 03:47 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by davei1980
Thanks! The seatpost will get reused, it's some fluted thing. I don't get to hung up on those.

The brakes are alloy diacomp. They will be replaced with some dual pivot ones, probably tektro, with a little more reach for the 700c brake track.

I am thinking 700x38C Gravelkings and some VO Milan handlebars or similar. I'll take it down to 1 chainring and throw my Ultegra 6600 long cage on there and a wide range 10 speed cassette.

I would love to use my dura ace barend shifter as a thumb shifter, but I cannot locate a mount that works as such.

So what does that make it? A city-gravel-cruiser? Sounds about right. Basically will be my backup/loaner bike for when my brother is in town or my bike is down for repairs. I coudn't resist at $20
sounds like a fun build something like this might work https://www.cambriabike.com/products...hoCzIQQAvD_BwE

Old 08-17-20, 04:52 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by squirtdad
sounds like a fun build something like this might work https://www.cambriabike.com/products...hoCzIQQAvD_BwE
Thanks so much, yes that may absolutely work, I have a 10 speed Ultegra casette I was hoping to use with my dura ace shifter, but I am betting I can buy this gem for $25 plus a used 9 speed cassette that will work for less than the cost of converting my existing shifter.... Then again I may just donate my SRAM 12speed drivetrain to it (the cassette uses an HG driver, not XD) and upgrade my other bike to GX or XT!!!

DECISIONS!
Old 08-17-20, 07:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
[QUOTE=davei1980;21646206
[/QUOTE]

Paul Thumbies for the win. Also some nice Paul levers and some Paul Racer Brakes and you got my vote.That could be a real sexy bike as a 1x fun machine.
Old 08-17-20, 10:46 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Paul Thumbies for the win. Also some nice Paul levers and some Paul Racer Brakes and you got my vote.That could be a real sexy bike as a 1x fun machine.
Don't threaten me with a good time! I was just LITERALLY looking up pricing info on Paul racer brakes!
Old 08-18-20, 02:59 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
It's too nice to paint it. Even the decals look nice to me. The color scheme is great.

BTW, tell me where you can buy such a bike for $20...
Old 08-18-20, 09:03 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Amt0571
It's too nice to paint it. Even the decals look nice to me. The color scheme is great.

BTW, tell me where you can buy such a bike for $20...
Same place I buy everything else - FB marketplace.

The stem shifters and foam grips in lieu of bar tape indicated a cheap bike, but the price was right and a little research turned up the fact that it's made of good tubing (Tange Infinity, not top notch but a long way from plain gage hi tensile steel), and made in Japan (still has the sticker, a quick S/N search indicates may be made in same factory as Panasonic).

So yeah, I am happy with the bones, but it's not like it's a Paramount that I wouldn't dare touch, I can alter to my heart's content. I think it will cost about $400 to make a LEGIT build, which sounds like a lot but $400 gets you a pretty uninteresting bike these days, IMO

Thanks again man, I appreciate it
Old 08-18-20, 01:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What's your objective for the bike when you are finished rebuilding it?

If your objective is to flip it, leave the paint alone. Buyers would rather everything look as-original.
If you objective is to keep it for yourself, nobody else's opinion, including mine, matters.
Old 08-18-20, 01:49 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What's your objective for the bike when you are finished rebuilding it?

If your objective is to flip it, leave the paint alone. Buyers would rather everything look as-original.
If you objective is to keep it for yourself, nobody else's opinion, including mine, matters.
Wow. That's a really great point.

I am keeping it. If I were flipping I'd probably do nothing to it. I don't really buy bikes to flip - the math doesn't work out in most cases.

It will be heavily modified and probably handed down to one of my kids when I am gone!
Old 08-18-20, 02:19 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Paint it if you like spending a ton of time and money on a purely wasted venture.

If you want to greatly improve the bike, fully overhaul it with these mods:

- Remove the kickstand, eight reflectors, chainring protector and dork disk.
- Source a decent, period-correct saddle.
- Source turkey leverless brake levers, maybe with gum hoods already in place to save cash.
- Switch to down tube shifters.
- Wrap the bars with brown Newbaum's cotton.
- Add clips and leather straps.
- Raise the seatpost and lower the stem.
- Mount 27x1 1/8" Panaracer Paselas.
- Sell locally for $250-$300 and buy a better bike.

Thanks you obviously have good taste! I actually like this thing and plan on riding it, I am not much of a flipper, and I am skeptical my local market will fetch $300. Here's my idea

- Dork disk/reflectors - already gone. I may keep the kickstand just because this will be a practical, hack-around bike. I already own a much nicer one
- I have a saddle in the bin I'll use. It's not period but that's ok. It fits me. I'll snag a B17 down the road if I can find a smokin' deal on one
- Gonna run swept back alt bars with some mtb levers I have so that takes care of the ridiculous levers on there
- Shifter - I am working on - I may be able to use my dura ace bar end shifter if I can find a bar top mount for it that will work that's not $60
- Bars won't be wrapped since they won't be drops, but I am working on some ergonomic leather grips with a guy in portland
- For pedals I'll run some alloy MTB platform dealy. Never been a fan of toe clips
- Wheels have already been swapped out with HED Ardennes 700c rims to give me wider flexibility of tire choice and a tad more clearance. I will either run 700x38C gravelkings or some similar all-road tire in the same size.

After that I'll probably keep a look out for a slick front basket and a saddle bag, would be good on my commutes where I have to carry more than the usual amounts of stuff, like when I swap out bath towels in in the office shower or have to pack different shoes.

I really appreciate your input! I love all the ideas!
Old 08-18-20, 06:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Don't threaten me with a good time! I was just LITERALLY looking up pricing info on Paul racer brakes!
Oh I will threaten everyone with a good time or death. Paul makes awesome stuff. I was just planning on buying Motolites in purple then said I gotta have the levers and then I said ok I gotta have a seatpost and almost bought skewers but finally had to say enough fun. But they make really great skewers, I have them on my touring bike and they are so nice.
Old 08-18-20, 11:35 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Paint it if you like spending a ton of time and money on a purely wasted venture.

If you want to greatly improve the bike, fully overhaul it with these mods:

- Remove the kickstand, eight reflectors, chainring protector and dork disk.
- Source a decent, period-correct saddle.
- Source turkey leverless brake levers, maybe with gum hoods already in place to save cash.
- Switch to down tube shifters.
- Wrap the bars with brown Newbaum's cotton.
- Add clips and leather straps.
- Raise the seatpost and lower the stem.
- Mount 27x1 1/8" Panaracer Paselas.
- Sell locally for $250-$300 and buy a better bike.
Good advice...but after all that I would consider keeping it.
Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 08-18-20 at 11:38 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1: