Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi L'eroica

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi L'eroica

Old 01-15-21, 05:12 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I saw the bike at the Eroica California event in Paso Robles and I think it was a nice bike in the true spirit vintage ones they made in the sixties and seventies.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-15-21, 05:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 3,707 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
The Eroica, in my perception, is about experiencing how it was back in the days, not, how it would have been if modern tech like 20spd drive trains would have been available. But that's just me, ignore me pushing my bike up. That 14% by will
In reality, I tend to agree with you. I built my bike with the intent of keeping everything within the era of when it was originally built, and re-create that ride experience. I have newer bikes that serve my needs when I want to ride a newer bike (which is most of the time). Not everyone feels the same way. They want vintage appearance with not-so-vintage performance. We have seen more than a few people put integrated levers on vintage frames. Bianchi built the L'Eroica to go after a certain market, and they seem to have been successful.
Old 01-15-21, 06:04 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
The Eroica, in my perception, is about experiencing how it was back in the days
Well, that is partly correct. Probably the more significant initial reason was to make an effort to try and preserve the "white roads" of Tuscany and surrounding regions which were under threat of being paved and further developed. The vehicle they used to accomplish this (no pun intended) was the bicycle, and theme, specifically from an earlier era when these roads were used by professional racers. Creating a movement of sorts through a sporting event to accomplish that end. The vintage aspect of this new event was in keeping with the history of the area as well as to honor the historic use by the racers who are so highly regarded in Italy. It all tied together very well and made for a very attractive package.

Now, as we all know L'Eroica in Italy and some of the other franchise venues have specific days or routes for modern bikes to participate in the event. It is not exclusive to vintage cycles anymore and has not been for several years. And, when Bianchi (a sponsor almost from the beginning) decided to support the event in a bigger way it was in part to promote their own products. It is no surprise that they would not only create a bike specific to the event but also try and capitalize on the brand and image. It is simply how things are done.

From the L'Eroica website:

THE HEROIC SPIRIT
The beauty of fatigue and the thrill of conquest Eroica is more than a cycling event; it is a lifestyle. It’s what leads us to face our difficulties with tenacity and patience and appreciate times of struggle as a challenge gratefully accepted. Riding vintage bikes on gravel roads recalls the heroic cycling of Coppi and Bartali and recovers the core values of a great sport still able to fulfil the needs of today through the experience of fatigue in all its raw grandeur. More than just a challenge, Eroica also seeks to reawaken a taste for adventure, the unexpected and the journey. A way to relaunch cycling, create respect between riders and inspire new models for sports and life.

I have ridden a number of Eroica events at several of the different venues, as well as supported the event on my motorcycle twice. Once on a vintage moto and then again in 2019 I supported the modern version as a course marshall on a new BMW GS bike. I think that the above statement from the event leaves enough wiggle room to be welcoming to a broad range of perspectives. Also, keep in mind that through coming years the event will likely continue to transform as it's corporate owners see fit.
Old 01-16-21, 08:16 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 103 Posts
Bianchi also still makes the Ancora. $3k doesn’t seem that bad for the L’Erocia given that the Ancora sells for $1500 (though I’ve seen it deeply discounted at a large shop in Tokyo) Bianchi | ROAD | ANCORA

Last edited by fliplap; 01-16-21 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 01-16-21, 09:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
My thoughts:

1. I wonder how many of these get bought specifically to be ridden in an Eroica event, and what fraction of them ever get ridden in an Eroica event.

2. People who restore old bikes have a lot of tools and methods to create something like this inexpensively, lots of other people don't, and understandably want something that can be serviced by a regular LBS with regular components... cassette hubs, threadless steeerers, integrated spindles.

3. I wonder if the Bersagliere guys would scoff at the newbs who showed up with derailleurs and pneumatic tires.
Old 01-17-21, 11:32 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 318 Posts
A friend recently paid $4,000 for a set of carbon Triathlon wheels. This is a bargain.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 01-17-21, 04:28 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Well, that is partly correct. Probably the more significant initial reason was to make an effort to try and preserve the "white roads" of Tuscany and surrounding regions which were under threat of being paved and further developed. The vehicle they used to accomplish this (no pun intended) was the bicycle, and theme, specifically from an earlier era when these roads were used by professional racers. Creating a movement of sorts through a sporting event to accomplish that end. The vintage aspect of this new event was in keeping with the history of the area as well as to honor the historic use by the racers who are so highly regarded in Italy. It all tied together very well and made for a very attractive package.

Now, as we all know L'Eroica in Italy and some of the other franchise venues have specific days or routes for modern bikes to participate in the event. It is not exclusive to vintage cycles anymore and has not been for several years. And, when Bianchi (a sponsor almost from the beginning) decided to support the event in a bigger way it was in part to promote their own products.
That is true from an organizers point of view, I spoke as someone participating. You are also right about the direction the event is going, for the more "hardcore" folks there are other events I guess

I still object the idea that the Bianchi retro bike is in any way superior to a real vintage bike which can be had at a fraction of the price tag. Maybe it's harder to find some in the US, I don't know enough about the market to be fair, but here in Europe there is no shortage of very nicely preserved, lovingly cared for by their owners, 1970ies and 1980ies high end bikes, and they rarely pass the 1000€ mark when for sale.
Simpler models (gran sport or nuovo record ones, or such with nong campy parts, often are around 300€) . I would have no qualms hopping onto one of those after a few simple checks on the tires and the brakes - In fact, that's what i did with both the Rabeneick and the Casati. I have 5 or 6 of them in my stable that I never touched with a wrench after buying, and I ride most of them every now and then - and ride such an event, and there would be no disadvantage over the Bianchi in terms of function, reliability or performance.

Last edited by martl; 01-17-21 at 04:41 PM.
Likes For martl:
Old 01-17-21, 07:28 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
I still object the idea that the Bianchi retro bike is in any way superior to a real vintage bike.
In all of the discussion in all of the threads in this forum about this bike over the years I do not recall anyone suggesting that the Bianchi L'Eroica bike was superior in any significant way to an actual classic. It was simply another choice in bicycles, a way to get modern performance and classic looks in a new bicycle. In fact, it appears that Bianchi was on to something because now there are quite a few other manufacturers who have followed suit with their own quality retro offerings.

My own Bianchi L'Eroica is a joy to ride, though I have modified it to be more to my liking by adding more Campy to it. It is frame #22 and I ride it as often as opportunity allows including (to date) 3 Eroica's and some centuries. I have ridden other Eroica events (8 total) on bikes such as 1962 and 1974 Legnano (long routes) but I did enjoy the rides more on the Bianchi, mainly because of the brakes and gearing choices. It is simply a different choice of bike to ride, not an effort to make any kind of statement.

I have paid more for several other steel bikes that I own, including a Pegoretti, a Colnago and a Co-Motion, but none of those bikes (even the lugged steel ones) seem to draw the ire that this Bianchi does. I say that Bianchi did good by offering this bike, even though it is not for everybody. I am grateful that companies will still try and meet the demand of a niche market. We are all better off because of it, even if we don't buy their product. But the way that a nice looking bike with a classic vibe gets trashed on a classic bike forum seems unnecessary.
How about this, why don't we all just ride what we like to ride and accept that others will do the same. Even if our choices are not the same!
Old 01-17-21, 07:37 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Some people like old looking stuff. AND the same people like new stuff that comes with a service/warranty package. These same folks spend big bucks on brand new torn bluejeans. The Eroica Bianchi is over the top with non-aero brake levers, friction shifting, and metallic derailleur cable guides and that makes it classic.
Old 01-17-21, 08:41 PM
microcord

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
I still object the idea that the Bianchi retro bike is in any way superior to a real vintage bike which can be had at a fraction of the price tag. Maybe it's harder to find some in the US, I don't know enough about the market to be fair, but here in Europe there is no shortage of very nicely preserved, lovingly cared for by their owners, 1970ies and 1980ies high end bikes, and they rarely pass the 1000€ mark when for sale.
Lucky you in Europe. Here in urban Japan, space is at a premium, so people are less likely to have kept old stuff. Also, 56 cm was the maximum size for production frames; so if you happen to want 60 cm or so then your "vintage" options are very limited. When I first heard of this Bianchi I'd already found a Cinelli "Mens Sana" in my size (as my regular ride; ineligible for Eroica, not that this worried me), but that took quite some searching. Once its drivetrain had been converted to a (very unheroic) triple and other changes had been made to suit me, its price had risen significantly. If it were ever stolen and I encountered a used Bianchi "Eroica" in my size, I'd be tempted.

The "Mens Sana" has paintwork of appalling quality, decorated (where it hasn't yet flaked off) with squiggles, daft black splodges, and of course the cliché slogan along the top tube. A previous owner of my own example mercifully (if incompetently) overpainted the top tube; still, if the Bianchi looks silly (and I'd warmly disagree), then this authentically semi-vintage Cinelli looks a lot sillier.
Old 01-18-21, 11:05 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I don't really know why this one causes discourse. Quite a few Italian companies make "retro-mod" bikes. Cinelli still makes the Supercorsa, Colnago has the Master, Wilier has the Superleggera. Quite a few even come with a retro-style setup with barcons/downtubes (whoever owns Masi now has a nice looking retro-mod Gran Criterium, though I think the purists might really hate that one)

I figure the fact that it's badged with the trademark of a "hip" cycling event makes it.... slightly lame (like showing up to a concert wearing the band's shirt), but this isn't anything out of the ordinary for Italian bike companies (and even others, see- the Trek 520, Fuji Touring, or the entire All-City Bikes lineup). Granted, a lot of them are in a range of how "retro" they are- welding versus lugged, sloping geometry, etc but Bianchi having an old-style steel frame is hardly weird.

Last edited by sheddle; 01-18-21 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 01-18-21, 12:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
I'm happy to see any maker keeping the flame lit, however they choose to do so, for whatever misguided or otherwise motivation.

At the very least it helps keep C+V in the mix, gives a gateway for those that don't have our skillset and want to wade in.

Never going to hurt to have new blood and $$$ infused in our world, especially that kind of $$$.

We look at these from our point of view which admittedly can be pretty narrow, but if a newbie of any sort gets the bug or just onboard from these, I'm all for it.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-18-21, 12:40 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
Bianchi also still makes the Ancora. $3k doesn’t seem that bad for the L’Erocia given that the Ancora sells for $1500 (though I’ve seen it deeply discounted at a large shop in Tokyo) Bianchi | ROAD | ANCORA

If that was available in the US I would buy it in a flash!!!
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 01-18-21, 12:54 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
You can do L'Eroica and similar events on a $10 bike and have just as much fun, so you don't need it.

But, for the money it is a really nice bike and, in my opinion, a more attractive proposition than many other similarly-priced bikes. So if you prefer new, then sure, get one.
Since this is BikeForums, when did NEED really enter the picture? Except possibly in the Bike Mechanics area. Wants and Needs are dependent on your point of view.
Old 01-18-21, 01:03 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 136 Posts
Maybe people buying today's new Bianchis don't really know what they are buying into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianchi_(company)
Likes For sced:
Old 01-18-21, 01:04 PM
boomerbicyclist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Bianchi Nuovo Racing, Colnago Superissimo(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The excess cable aside, I think it's one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen; and I'd have one in a moment if I could justify it.
Old 01-18-21, 01:57 PM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Not a fan of these retro styled new bikes. They fail to have the quality and workmanship expected in an old machine. Often they don’t have the features one would expect on a nice new bike. I poor compromise at best. The worst of both worlds.
Just my opinion.
Just wonder how you know this? Looks great and nothing better than lugged steel. Unless you have first-hand knowledge that it is not a high quality build. You'll pay at least that for a lugged frameset build from one of the bespoke folks so don't know why anyone would expect Bianchi to cost any less. If I were in the market for a new bike it would be one of the first I would look at, assuming it is being built in Italy.

Originally Posted by sced
Maybe people buying today's new Bianchis don't really know what they are buying into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianchi_(company)
Could not get this to open, but this is Bianchi's 125th anniversary year and it is the world's oldest bicycle building company.
From the Bianchi website:

Bianchi Today

Since May 1997 F.I.V. Edoardo Bianchi is part of Cycleurope A.B. group, the Swedish company of the Grimaldi group, known as the worldwide most important holding in the cycling sector.

The brands of the Bianchi group (Bianchi, Legnano, Puch and Chiorda) have met those of Cycleurope (Monark, Crescent, DBS, Kildemoes, Everton, Micmo, Gitane) to constitute a unique network in the two-wheel market.

Today Cycleurope can implement the most advanced operative synergies involving prestigious European companies, amongst which Bianchi represents the flagship brand.The strategic investments of the group aim at two outstanding targets: the development of a highly-advanced product and the establishment of Bianchi brand on international markets.

Last edited by ParamountScapin; 01-18-21 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 02:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Since this is BikeForums, when did NEED really enter the picture? Except possibly in the Bike Mechanics area. Wants and Needs are dependent on your point of view.
Absolutely. As long as it is with in the spirit of an event, I really don't care what people bring, whether it is a $10 dilapidated old bike with worn-through derailleur cages and DIY drillium like the one pictured above or a brand spanking new €5,000 "keeper of the flame".

At the same event I took the picture of the bike above, I also photographed this replica. Not even made by the original company. Yet I love it. The TJ Flying Gate, a copy of a W.R. Baines design from the 1930's:

Old 01-18-21, 03:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
Ok it"s beautiful
But what do you all think of a $K3 copy of a vintage machine just to enable the privileged few take part in a rally.
Oh but it is pretty
I dont much care what 'the privileged few' do. Its their money. I may tilt me head in confusion over what people see as valuable or worth paying for, but its a passing confusion because I readily recognize that others are doing that to me as well.

I dont see a difference between someone buying a new $3000 or $4000 road bike and someone spending the same on the Bianchi. And $3000-4000 bikes are not uncommon for cycling enthusiasts of all persuasions- road, mtb, ebike, gravel, or 'bent.
Old 01-18-21, 03:17 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ParamountScapin
Just wonder how you know this? Looks great and nothing better than lugged steel. Unless you have first-hand knowledge that it is not a high quality build. You'll pay at least that for a lugged frameset build from one of the bespoke folks so don't know why anyone would expect Bianchi to cost any less. If I were in the market for a new bike it would be one of the first I would look at, assuming it is being built in Italy.

Could not get this to open, but this is Bianchi's 125th anniversary year and it is the world's oldest bicycle building company.
From the Bianchi website:

Bianchi Today

Since May 1997 F.I.V. Edoardo Bianchi is part of Cycleurope A.B. group, the Swedish company of the Grimaldi group, known as the worldwide most important holding in the cycling sector.

The brands of the Bianchi group (Bianchi, Legnano, Puch and Chiorda) have met those of Cycleurope (Monark, Crescent, DBS, Kildemoes, Everton, Micmo, Gitane) to constitute a unique network in the two-wheel market.

Today Cycleurope can implement the most advanced operative synergies involving prestigious European companies, amongst which Bianchi represents the flagship brand.The strategic investments of the group aim at two outstanding targets: the development of a highly-advanced product and the establishment of Bianchi brand on international markets.
It’s simply my opinion.
I rather have everything Campy instead of a token rear mech.
The frame actually looks pretty nice from what I can see. I however would rather have a frame with Campy dropouts and such.
l personally would rather have all the little clues that go along with a vintage bike that make a nice bike nice.
Old 01-18-21, 03:32 PM
Campytourer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I have a locally built frame, Obrien, I bought used, investigated the manufacture. Their price for a custom built steel complete bikes were in the range of $5,000-$6,000. Depending on how it was kitted up.
an Obrien? damn, if only I´d known when I was 8 years old (44 years ago) they would be worth that much now! That was my first "proper" bike, bought for me by my Dad, second hand, from a guy he worked with.. too big for me, but it got stolen anyway Out of interest, where are they built, what tubing etc?
Old 01-18-21, 03:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It's made of Zona tubing, which is just seamless 4130 CrMo. For $3000 you'd expect at least SL or Spirit.
Is that all Zona is...just seamless 4130? Zona has a higher tensile strength and is typically butted more aggressively.
An 853 main triangle bike can have the same butting profile as a 631 main triangle. The higher level tubing doesnt necessarily make it lighter or ride better.

Zona can build up a frame with short butted 7/5/7 top and down tubes, 8/6 seat tube, 7 chainstays(or 8/6 s bend), and .7 16ga seat stays. I dont see much generic 4130 with that setup.
Old 01-18-21, 03:40 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap

For $1500 that is a very nice bike!
Old 01-18-21, 04:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by sced
What exactly are you wanting everyone to learn about in the wiki link?
Old 01-19-21, 01:01 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Fake

That's what I am unhappy about. I'm by no means an expert but I'm improving with every build. Vintage means no more are available, it's a finite pool. I search for the rare and then hope to work the magic I see performed by some of you. So enough whining, horses for courses and I guess the real thing should be priced accordingly

Just some of my stock

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.