Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 08:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Ordered one of those fans. I already have two fans by the bike - a box fan on a shelf and a smaller fan on the floor angled up. But since my new car doesn't really fit in the garage, I've ordered a load of weightlifting equipment too, so I want another fan for circulation there too.

I may look to replace the light fixtures in the garage with some cheap ceiling fans too.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-18-21, 09:38 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
It's funny. I just use a lasko tower type fan (the round kind on a pole), and usually just have it on level 2. Maybe I'll try something more hardcore.
Old 02-18-21, 12:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I have that one, too!

I have a box fan type thing on the floor angled up on my legs and torso, and then I have the Lasko at chest/head level about two feet away and only turn it on during hard rides/races. It moves a ton of air, so much that I don't like using it unless I'm putting out a good chunk of watts.
Yeah there are definitely times it works too well. If I'm doing a z1/2 thing I will either not turn it on or wear a jersey. It's great for real workouts though.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-18-21, 12:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
It's funny. I just use a lasko tower type fan (the round kind on a pole), and usually just have it on level 2. Maybe I'll try something more hardcore.
Man you are lucky, my indoor workouts used to be seriously impacted by overheating!
Old 02-18-21, 01:11 PM
topflightpro

Aren't you in an air-conditioned room?

I'm in my uninsulated garage. It can be quite hot (or cold) in there. It's not uncommon in the winter for me to wear toe covers and knee warmers when riding, and in the summer, I tend to wear ankle socks and no jersey.
Old 02-18-21, 03:24 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Well since it's generally around zero in the morning here, no?

The room is generally around 60 when I train. But it has a propane heater, which probably adds humidity based on what I've read.

A/C In the summet, but that's still really not nearly enough without air move

Last edited by gsteinb; 02-18-21 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-18-21, 03:27 PM
topflightpro

There have been times in the winter where I've run a space heater and humidifier for a couple hours in the garage before doing my ride.

And regardless of how cold it is in the garage, I usually find I need the fan on too - though usually the low setting.
Old 02-18-21, 04:11 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I did 30/30s for lunch, first time in over a year I did any type of intervals over z3. My training for District Champ has begun...

...and its over. I couldn't even do 5 of them . I had it set to 160% so I'm going to drop it to 130%, which isn't all that much higher than my best 5m power but I have to stay within the scope of what I can do any build from there. Repeated surging has never been my strength, but I need to work on it just enough it doesn't crack me.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 02-18-21, 04:34 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by topflightpro
There have been times in the winter where I've run a space heater and humidifier for a couple hours in the garage before doing my ride.

And regardless of how cold it is in the garage, I usually find I need the fan on too - though usually the low setting.

I've traveled with my trainer quite a bit when I was teaching. I've been on the trainer outside near zero in the dark, because that was my only window. No fan then in those times. Generally I'd wear a LS jersey and knee warmers. I'd still end up soaked.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-18-21, 11:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Completed 4 days of skiing - 36,600 vertical feet. Today, was a perfect sunny day with temps in the low 20s and I had great ski legs.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-19-21, 07:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Finally picked a good combo of duration and zone in a workout last night on Zwift. The time in zones and even HR were right on.

Time in zone for the week is good as well.

Found out the night time drinking was the cause of the little extra weight. Dropped that off for a few weeks and it's melted off. Time to drop that Zwift weight back down (as I was honest and raised it when necessary).
Old 02-19-21, 08:27 AM
topflightpro

I've traveled with my trainer quite a bit when I was teaching. I've been on the trainer outside near zero in the dark, because that was my only window. No fan then in those times. Generally I'd wear a LS jersey and knee warmers. I'd still end up soaked.
I think I remember you saying you did that in the parking deck of your hotel when you came down here for a meeting.

But even when it's super cold, I still like having a light breeze to blow the heat off me. I have a hard time with heat management in general. Rankin (remember him?) once commented that he noticed I tend to be the first person to start stripping off layers in the winter. I have a winter jacket, but I never wear it - it's too heavy.
Old 02-19-21, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Completed my longest ever trainer ride this morning: 90 minutes of Z2. The set-up I've finally settled on is to have TrainerRoad on the iPad, in front of a TV where I'm running Zwift through AppleTV. And I have Sonos speaker on the table next to me so I can listen to music or podcasts. I'm doing the work out on TR, Zwift is for visual distraction that's engaging enough but not too distracting, and the podcasts are for entertainment obviously.

Still pretty boring, but doable. I still don't know how people do 2 hours or longer inside.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-19-21, 12:09 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I'd quit the sport with that set up, for what it's worth. I watch mindlessly engaging TV shows, and chase numbers on my power meter. Long Z2 is definitely boring. Structure wins the day. I remain befuddled that folks can ride with their rear wheel locked in. I can't do it.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-19-21, 12:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by caloso
Completed my longest ever trainer ride this morning: 90 minutes of Z2. The set-up I've finally settled on is to have TrainerRoad on the iPad, in front of a TV where I'm running Zwift through AppleTV. And I have Sonos speaker on the table next to me so I can listen to music or podcasts. I'm doing the work out on TR, Zwift is for visual distraction that's engaging enough but not too distracting, and the podcasts are for entertainment obviously.

Still pretty boring, but doable. I still don't know how people do 2 hours or longer inside.
MacGyver apprentice? I am a structured workout guy on the trainer. Music only. If I am on the trainer, the structure is enough to to keep me focused and I want to do the workout. Without desire to do the workout, no amount of distraction will make the trainer good for me.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-19-21, 12:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
I routinely do 3 hr trainer rides, up to 4 voluntarily. Some times it's nothing more than the zwift world noise. IDK, maybe I've hit my head in crashes enough times to tolerate it? I don't ever use ERG mode when doing workouts because I hate it. I do my workouts on the trainer in "free ride" mode, sort of like you would IRL I guess. I'll chose my route/segment to go for based on my target interval duration, also like IRL.

For long rides like that 3 hr or more, it's usually a z2 overall target without too much structure. So if I want to hit SST up Epic KOM I'll do it. Also, do you do any group rides caloso ? It's a great way to make it social and pass the time. Sometimes I'll tether together different group rides to pass the time more quickly.

I'm planning a private Zwift meetup to do the London PRL full soon... 100 mi with a ton of climbing. LMK if anyone wants in and I'll PM you the details.
Old 02-19-21, 12:37 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
2 hours Z2 on the trainer yesterday watching the US Women's soccer team play Canada. Running zwift to enable erg mode so I don't have to look at the numbers. Rear wheel locked in to the trainer. Lasko blower on the lowest setting.

Most often I'm watching a TV show - I'm in season one of Ozark at the moment. This Sunday if the weather is too crappy to ride outside I might try a zwift group ride. (Saturday will be an XC ski with my wife and dog.)
Old 02-19-21, 12:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I routinely do 3 hr trainer rides, up to 4 voluntarily. Some times it's nothing more than the zwift world noise. IDK, maybe I've hit my head in crashes enough times to tolerate it? I don't ever use ERG mode when doing workouts because I hate it. I do my workouts on the trainer in "free ride" mode, sort of like you would IRL I guess. I'll chose my route/segment to go for based on my target interval duration, also like IRL.

For long rides like that 3 hr or more, it's usually a z2 overall target without too much structure. So if I want to hit SST up Epic KOM I'll do it. Also, do you do any group rides caloso ? It's a great way to make it social and pass the time. Sometimes I'll tether together different group rides to pass the time more quickly.

I'm planning a private Zwift meetup to do the London PRL full soon... 100 mi with a ton of climbing. LMK if anyone wants in and I'll PM you the details.
I have done a few. I rode around for an hour last week with the Zwift pace rider and that was actually pretty engaging. And my team has a regular Monday night recovery group ride. It's mostly shooting the shiznit over Discord.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-20-21, 08:48 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

I felt the same way and then I did one of the longer routes where you do all the big climbs, Four Horseman?, and really embraced the free ride. The effort of the climbs and catching people going up, coupled with the descents, started to feel more real, and I sort of enjoy it.
Likes For Yep:
Old 02-20-21, 03:53 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Almost 2 hrs non-stop sweet spot today. Made a workout for ERG mode and just set the route in Zwift to the Alpe. 238w for almost 2hrs. I forgot to add a half set to get last coupe minutes. By the time I had started to climb the last 15min up the Alpe the 2nd time I had lost off the avg. Whatever.

2000 KJ, 6900 ft vert, 2:24 at 233 NP.

I'm going to do me. I see folks chasing some stupid KOMs around town lately, but they're all short and windswept crap not worth my time. Eye on the price. Grow the engine. Warmth, and new PR's on the TT bike. Gotta bring home the TT KOM for the team on the home-team TT course in 2021.

Pretty big week. 2 hrs in Z4. 2.5hrs in Z3.

Tomorrow I'll probably get something easy in to close the week, then off Monday......and repeat.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-20-21, 05:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Easyish endurance ride along the coast. My legs felt absolutely amazing after the skiing. Today, everything felt possible. We scheduled another ski week for the beginning of April to add to the remaining one we have in March. The ski trips are replacing racing. Of course, not the same as cycling and no results per se but at least we have “something” to plan for and look forward to.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-20-21, 10:08 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
2 1/2 hours at z2.667 give or take. A lot harder than doing my usual 100k Zwift group rides. Even though I'm hitting over 5 w/kg in those I can rest and hide alot. This I have to hold 2.8 w/kg. Legs feel great after though.

I'm massively disappointed with my diet though. Every weekend my in laws have invited us to some massive meal during the weekend, and it's wrecked my progress. I know its on me but I show up and they have Reese's, donuts, snacks everywhere, and the food is never on time so I end up snacking on something. Today they had some games where you win Kit Kats and I ate a bunch of those. I even had a plan but it just doesn't work when my favorite foods are shoved in front of me. I lost 2 lbs today and probably gained it back today. Weighing food, eating the same foods, I've busted my tail and eaten perfectly for 6 days and one day ruins it. It frustrates me they shrug off my weight loss attempts because 'I'm skinny' and it makes me want to go off about their bad habits (including half of them being diabetic but still eating like that). Oh well, rant off.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 02-21-21, 10:29 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I agree the big meal and excess snacking once a week isn't helping FF, but I don't think you are gaining 2lbs of fat in that one day. That is like 7000 calories of excess intake, or 64 kitkats (fun size). Sucks to have the negative influence, but you giving yourself one day off a diet a week might be not be a bad thing in the long run. Just don't beat yourself up over it or try to eat perfectly on that day.
Old 02-21-21, 12:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
Rest weekend, good hike yesterday (Corte Madera San Diego) of (7?) miles, 30 min z1 spin before abs work and stretching this morning. I will likely do another 1 hr spin later in the afternoon, haven't decided between indoor/outdoor yet. Back on the horse tomorrow.
Old 02-21-21, 12:16 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Finally rode outside for the first time in... a week?

I've done 13 rides this week, 12 inside. I'm sitting at 9,876 kJ. Ahhh. Guess I'll hop on my TT bike tonight for 15 minutes to chase that last 124. Purely number chasing.

Did 15 minutes at 365 today. Was hoping to amass 4x15 averaging 350, but my second and third were only 340, and my last was barely 320. Aerobically I felt alright, but there was a definite lack of ummph in the legs. Probably because I haven't done any time over 350 in 3-4 months plus so many of my rides are sub 60 mins at the moment. Or maybe it was the first covid vaccination I got yesterday! Likely the former, though.
Likes For rubiksoval:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.