Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight

Old 04-23-21, 04:59 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
There is no such thing as bad food. Dollar weight, you simply need to be in a caloric deficit, that is all, and that is the only way excluding liposuction. To maintain muscle mass, you need protein. From there fats or carbs is personal preference when it comes to far loss. For cycling, most can do about an hour before really needing fuel during the ride.

GCN recently did a video with Ollie and Connor doing a 140km ride. Connor are zero and only drank water during the ride. They monitored glucose levels during the ride and even did 5 minute efforts on 4 hills during the ride. He said he didn't really feel the BONK until the very end.
Old 04-23-21, 04:05 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
There is no such thing as bad food. .
That's obviously completely wrong.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 04-25-21, 08:01 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
There is no such thing as bad food.

I get the intent of the statement, but it's just wrong. Bad Food would be anything highly processed that provides calories and little else beyond maybe an unneeded insulin response.

GCN recently did a video with Ollie and Connor doing a 140km ride. Connor are zero and only drank water during the ride. They monitored glucose levels during the ride and even did 5 minute efforts on 4 hills during the ride. He said he didn't really feel the BONK until the very end.

It was Hank & Connor and Connor reckoned that he went as long as he did because of his diet and carryover ability to push through he learned while a professional cyclist.

IMHO getting rid of as much processed stuff as possible is the first step, and the second is being portion aware. E.G. 100 Grams of pistachios is 576 calories. Pour out 100g and see how much that is in a small bowl. Maybe 50g is enough to satisfy you?
Old 04-26-21, 03:00 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
A small percentage of those who are overweight have metabolic health - normal A1C, good HDL levels, no insulin resistance.
Old 04-26-21, 07:25 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That's obviously completely wrong.
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
I get the intent of the statement, but it's just wrong. Bad Food would be anything highly processed that provides calories and little else beyond maybe an unneeded insulin response.

It was Hank & Connor and Connor reckoned that he went as long as he did because of his diet and carryover ability to push through he learned while a professional cyclist.

IMHO getting rid of as much processed stuff as possible is the first step, and the second is being portion aware. E.G. 100 Grams of pistachios is 576 calories. Pour out 100g and see how much that is in a small bowl. Maybe 50g is enough to satisfy you?
https://www.narinsedc.com/blog/the-g...dbad-food-myth

The only "good" and "bad" foods are what fit your fitness goals or if it was prepared well or poorly. The food itself is not good or bad. To perpetuate this myth also contributes to a possible eating disorder called orthorexia. And pistachios are disgusting anyway. I refuse to even buy mixed nuts with them in it.
Old 04-26-21, 06:41 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

The only "good" and "bad" foods are what fit your fitness goals or if it was prepared well or poorly. The food itself is not good or bad. To perpetuate this myth also contributes to a possible eating disorder called orthorexia. And pistachios are disgusting anyway. I refuse to even buy mixed nuts with them in it.
You might convince yourself of something you made up, but expecting other people to go long with it is folly.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 04-26-21, 07:35 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
https://www.narinsedc.com/blog/the-g...dbad-food-myth

Yeah that article (can four paragraphs by a nutritionist intern be considered a peer-reviewable article?) doesn't even remotely dig into processed versus unprocessed food. Sounds more like the intern just learned some new stuff and wanted to make a blog post.
Old 05-13-21, 04:40 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Possibly a reference to rapid weight loss causing gallstones, which is a thing.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/gallb...y-weight-loss/
Trust me you do NOT want gallstones whilst riding a bike or doing any sort of bending/twisting. I been through it there will be really bad bodily fluids coming out. My gallbladder had to be surgically removed because of this.
Old 06-04-21, 03:47 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by heatnikki
same here. I wan to lose weight too. I started run every morning and keep on a healthy eating.Plus I found local beauty clinic novuskin in Denver where I want to book a few procedures of coolsculpting and body treatment. I read many positive reviews about these procedures, they can help to burn fat and get fit faster. Hope it will work for me too.
No, they won't work. For long term lower body fat % you need to change your diet. And that's hard. I wanted to lose 1-2kg compared to last year, which was already pretty low for an amateur cyclists, and it was tough. For some weeks I went hungry multiple times throughout the day, until my body got used to it. In order to keep it low I still sometimes do, though a lot less than during the loss phase. I also watch out more what I eat and that takes some effort. Key also is not having candies in the house. Period. I have a pretty good mental resilience, but without hesitation if there is chocolate in the house I eat it. No chance. Don't rely on "procedures".

Unless of course this was an odd plug for that clinic...