Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Tried the Trek Verve+2 Ebike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Has Anyone Tried the Trek Verve+2 Ebike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 01:37 PM
MrCoffee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes a Bosch motor is going to be more expensive but you get a lot more with it and is a very reliable bit of kit. I cannot remember the last time we had to replace a Bosch motor.

The Trek will certainly have the least power the Magnum might list itself as more power but a problem with the hub drives is the poor use of the power. On paper or pixels it has more power but with less efficiency you aren't really getting the best use of that power. Trek is potentially heavier but I don't have the numbers on both bikes and honestly at that point probably close to the same or not enough difference to really care.
That's a good observation. The hub motors are a more affordable option, and my experience is that they are best suited for shorter trips. At this point, funds are limited. With the knowledge I'm gaining, I would aim for the Trek rather than something with a hub motor simply due to the size of the company and locations for service. I am just not there yet, and the climate where I live puts severe limits on the use of the bike. So I have to find something that costs less initially, and perhaps work up to the Trek during the next two or three years.

There is no question that the demand for electric bikes now exceeds the supply, and there are no sales. Prices continue to increase, even for the ones with hub motors. So you have to take what's available, because I was told by a Trek dealer that they won't be getting another shipment for two years! There is only one dealership in my area that has a sufficient supply of bikes. All the other dealerships are empty, and this includes all Trek and Specialized dealers. The Giant dealer only has $4,000.00 road bikes available, which would be totally impractical for me. Kids bikes are really all you see on the racks.

If my choice was for a hub motor or nothing, I would go with the hub motor. During the Great Depression, steak and lobster with a salad was always better than beans and rice. But if all you can afford is beans and rice, that's what you eat.
Likes For MrCoffee:
Old 04-29-21, 02:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
That's a good observation. The hub motors are a more affordable option, and my experience is that they are best suited for shorter trips. At this point, funds are limited. With the knowledge I'm gaining, I would aim for the Trek rather than something with a hub motor simply due to the size of the company and locations for service. I am just not there yet, and the climate where I live puts severe limits on the use of the bike. So I have to find something that costs less initially, and perhaps work up to the Trek during the next two or three years.

There is no question that the demand for electric bikes now exceeds the supply, and there are no sales. Prices continue to increase, even for the ones with hub motors. So you have to take what's available, because I was told by a Trek dealer that they won't be getting another shipment for two years! There is only one dealership in my area that has a sufficient supply of bikes. All the other dealerships are empty, and this includes all Trek and Specialized dealers. The Giant dealer only has $4,000.00 road bikes available, which would be totally impractical for me. Kids bikes are really all you see on the racks.

If my choice was for a hub motor or nothing, I would go with the hub motor. During the Great Depression, steak and lobster with a salad was always better than beans and rice. But if all you can afford is beans and rice, that's what you eat.
True if all you can get is one bike and you really can't wait then go for that bike. However you will save money and headaches over time with a Bosch system. Try some shops out of the area maybe take a small vacation to go buy a bike. Call some shops and see what they have within a certain distance and see if they can make things happen. Smaller shops are certainly struggling the hardest at getting inventory especially those that aren't taking their ordering seriously and just doing as they might normally instead of buying almost bulk quantities of bikes.
Old 04-29-21, 03:10 PM
MrCoffee

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
True if all you can get is one bike and you really can't wait then go for that bike. However you will save money and headaches over time with a Bosch system. Try some shops out of the area maybe take a small vacation to go buy a bike. Call some shops and see what they have within a certain distance and see if they can make things happen. Smaller shops are certainly struggling the hardest at getting inventory especially those that aren't taking their ordering seriously and just doing as they might normally instead of buying almost bulk quantities of bikes.
And this is why I plan on purchasing a Trek when they become available. We're looking a year into the future, though, at least. I would say, if anybody can find a Verve+ 2 in the right size, and they have enough money to purchase, or if their finances are otherwise stable and healthy, I wouldn't hesitate to get it before someone else does. Because even if it's last year's model, it will still carry today's higher price tag, and there won't be any available for a good while. The rich are the way they are, because they will buy something once and never have to replace it. This is just not the year for me to buy. There is nothing available with Bosch equipment in my price range. Period. Gazelle had one, but that price shot up by $500.00 on a New York moment's notice. We're talking about a 25% price increase just this year alone!
Likes For MrCoffee:
Old 04-29-21, 03:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

And this is why I plan on purchasing a Trek when they become available. We're looking a year into the future, though, at least. I would say, if anybody can find a Verve+ 2 in the right size, and they have enough money to purchase, or if their finances are otherwise stable and healthy, I wouldn't hesitate to get it before someone else does. Because even if it's last year's model, it will still carry today's higher price tag, and there won't be any available for a good while. The rich are the way they are, because they will buy something once and never have to replace it. This is just not the year for me to buy. There is nothing available with Bosch equipment in my price range. Period. Gazelle had one, but that price shot up by $500.00 on a New York moment's notice. We're talking about a 25% price increase just this year alone!
The Medeo didn't go up by any noticeable amount at least not the Medeo T9 (unless your shop raised pricing significantly which wasn't something from Gazelle) they have some new models that do cost more but they have better motors and batteries and drivetrains. If you are going to look at another bike for the future I would save up and get a more decent bike then the two we are discussing here. Look at the 3k on up range and make sure you are getting performance line (or cargo line if you need a cargo bike). The active line is an OK entry level motor for a first timer but if you are already going to have an e-bike get yourself something nicer and hopefully next year or the year after things will get a little more calm and easier to order without such massive delays.
Old 04-29-21, 03:25 PM
MrCoffee

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The Medeo didn't go up by any noticeable amount at least not the Medeo T9 (unless your shop raised pricing significantly which wasn't something from Gazelle) they have some new models that do cost more but they have better motors and batteries and drivetrains. If you are going to look at another bike for the future I would save up and get a more decent bike then the two we are discussing here. Look at the 3k on up range and make sure you are getting performance line (or cargo line if you need a cargo bike). The active line is an OK entry level motor for a first timer but if you are already going to have an e-bike get yourself something nicer and hopefully next year or the year after things will get a little more calm and easier to order without such massive delays.
The Medeo T9 is the one that shot up by $500.00, putting it beyond my price range. The shop would not budge on the price, either. They are selling e-bikes every day at the increased prices, and people are buying them. I'm hoping that things will start to settle in the next year. I will say that I definitely agree with you that Bosch is the best. But I will also understand the reason for someone buying a conversion kit for something they already have, and can be put to work.
Likes For MrCoffee:
Old 04-29-21, 06:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The Medeo T9 is the one that shot up by $500.00, putting it beyond my price range. The shop would not budge on the price, either. They are selling e-bikes every day at the increased prices, and people are buying them. I'm hoping that things will start to settle in the next year. I will say that I definitely agree with you that Bosch is the best. But I will also understand the reason for someone buying a conversion kit for something they already have, and can be put to work.
What are they charging for the bike? The Medeo at least from Gazelle didn't change price at all. Your shop may have lowered the price of the older model but when we sold the first Medeos they were $2499 and the new ones are the same price.
Old 04-29-21, 06:43 PM
MrCoffee

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
What are they charging for the bike? The Medeo at least from Gazelle didn't change price at all. Your shop may have lowered the price of the older model but when we sold the first Medeos they were $2499 and the new ones are the same price.
I see. Well, maybe the price didn't change. But $2,499.00 is still well beyond my budget. I'll give them a second look when my finances are in better shape though. Thanks!
Likes For MrCoffee:
Old 04-29-21, 10:19 PM
MrCoffee

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by macadam
I am looking for some insight into the pros and cons of the Trek Verve +2 Ebikes=, the 2021 edition. My understanding is that they are in short supply. So I don't want to jump hastily or wait until they are depleted. What recommendations do you have regarding this model?
If you can find a bike shop that carries Trek, and has one available in your size, buy it before someone else does. Otherwise, you will have to suffice with what ever is available, and it won't be from the big 3 manufacturers, I promise! The only reason I got one with a hub drive, is money that I don't have for a big brand with a big brand mid-drive motor. Maybe next year for me. If you find a Verve+ 2, and are able to snag it, by all means don't hesitate if you have the money. Also, ignore all those posts about chain slipping issues. Just buy the bike. Because if you do slip a chain, you also know that Trek will fix the problem with no question or hesitation!
Likes For MrCoffee:
Old 05-18-21, 11:14 AM
OmegaMan17

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What website is Veganbikes referring to for the reviews?
Likes For OmegaMan17:
Old 05-21-21, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by OmegaMan17
What website is Veganbikes referring to for the reviews?
When you are referring to another member use the @ symbol so it links them to it so they see it in case they might miss it. I happened to notice it but in the future someone might miss it. So I would type the (at) symbol and your name and it will show like this OmegaMan17 and it would tag you in it. It just helps when you are asking questions directed at other members and you are not quoting them. I am active in various different sub forums so I can easily miss something and probably have so tagging keeps everyone who needs to be, aware.

In terms of reviews ElectricBikeReview or EBR is probably what I was referring to because Court does a really good job at his job and is quite fair. I know people complain that yes he does take money but he charges a flat rate and that money allows him to review the bikes and do a through job at it. If he was just a hobbyist at it he probably wouldn't be able to do so many reviews and have them be so in depth. Having spent a good amount of time with him he felt pretty genuine and was very nice and certainly not someone who felt like they were whoring for reviews. You can tell when he really loves a bike and when the bike is meh but he still keeps them pretty balanced and as unbiased as a human being can. We are all biased one way or another at points and nobody can be completely neutral all the time.
Old 08-27-21, 10:47 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I am very happy with mine. I have over 100km on mine now.

The handling for a comfort hybrid bike is quite good, when coaxed gently into turns, it responds fast for a 54lb bike. The weight is the only thing holding it back performance wise, not the frame geo.

It manoeuvres extremely precise and is overall a comfortable pleasure to operate. the motor is very smart and useful. easily gets you going fast enough to get into some real trouble but never neglects your excersise.

is the motor advertises at 250w, how much does it actually output? maybe 275?