Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Schwinn Voyageur!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Schwinn Voyageur!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 06:04 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I put these pics in the April is Green Bike Month thread but I want to include them here in case anyone wants to see a Voyageur with 700X40 gravel tires on it. These are Clement (now Donnelly) Explor MSO tires. They fit nicely at the fork and the brake bridge but a little tight at the chainstays.
Untitled by Andy Beichler, on Flickr
Old 04-09-21, 08:14 AM
beicster 

Originally Posted by justcynn
It arrived. Delayed due to weather ! The seller shipped it in the original Schwinn Chicago box. I was scared based in the damage to the box. This bike has a head badge indicating feb 23 1985. I think wine red is an 84 color. So maybe a hold over frame? Either way with just a few minor scrapes, it shines like it did when someone boxed it up in Japan 36 years and 1 day ago today. So many decisions....but happy new bike day. So glad I pulled the trigger in this impulse buy!

Have you had a chance to build this up yet? It looks like you have the shifter braze ons that are kind of a pain in the butt. The standard only lasted a couple of years and it only fit some Shimano offerings. If you want to go with something other than downtube shifters, there is a guide for altering shifter boss cable stops on the internet. I'll post the link when I find it.
Old 04-13-21, 08:50 AM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
Have you had a chance to build this up yet? It looks like you have the shifter braze ons that are kind of a pain in the butt. The standard only lasted a couple of years and it only fit some Shimano offerings. If you want to go with something other than downtube shifters, there is a guide for altering shifter boss cable stops on the internet. I'll post the link when I find it.
I haven't built it yet but have been fitting some parts to it to see which direction want to go. So far I'm leaning towards it getting a set of Matrix 700C Wheels, 38MM Tires, a Triple Crank from another parted out Voyageur, 7 speed thread on cassette, white cable housing, white bar tape and white saddle. and front and rear vintage Blackburn Racks

Not sure what you mean on the downtube braze ons being different, most of my 80's Schwinn's have those unless they were cheaper models with stem mounted shifters but I have the cable stop covers and most likely will use bar end shifters on this build. Appreciate the heads up - took me a while to figure that out on a prior build!

Enjoying a Chrome Voyageurs I just finished at the moment.
  • 1980 Schwinn Voyageur Chrome
  • Shimano 105/Tiagra Groupset 10x3 - Brifters
  • Mavic Krysirium Wheelset with 700x32 Panaracer GK SK's
  • Carbon HandleBars
  • 21.1 Quill Stem Adapter
  • Cheap Strap on Water Bottle - I have the rivnuts to drill the bottle bosses, but can't bring myself to do it
  • This bike deserves a black Brooks Saddle - on the way
  • Comes in at about 23 Lbs with out the rack and 24 with. The Voyaguer 11.8 was originally billed as a 11.8 KG's, 26 LBS
  • Very Satisfied with the build, but plan is to go wider range cassette - better water solution and the brooks saddle.
  • Comparatively - its not quite as smooth as the my original '80 voyageur with the Super Maxy Crankset, ball bearing bottom bracket - but this set up gives me a lot more range and this bike is intended to be my "climbing" bike for shorter rides with more vertical climb

Hot Springs National Park, Ark.

Last edited by justcynn; 04-13-21 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For justcynn:
Old 04-13-21, 01:27 PM
beicster 

Originally Posted by justcynn
I haven't built it yet but have been fitting some parts to it to see which direction want to go. So far I'm leaning towards it getting a set of Matrix 700C Wheels, 38MM Tires, a Triple Crank from another parted out Voyageur, 7 speed thread on cassette, white cable housing, white bar tape and white saddle. and front and rear vintage Blackburn Racks

Not sure what you mean on the downtube braze ons being different, most of my 80's Schwinn's have those unless they were cheaper models with stem mounted shifters but I have the cable stop covers and most likely will use bar end shifters on this build. Appreciate the heads up - took me a while to figure that out on a prior build!
Take a look at this link. It describes the kind of bosses that came on my 85 Voyageur (though the article is about a Raleigh of the same era). That standard did not last long and finding parts is not easy but if you already have parts, then you are fine.. I ended up doing the cable stop conversion that the article recommends.

https://simplicityvintagecycles.com/...aga-continues/
Old 04-18-21, 12:45 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
Today I had my '90 Voyageur out for a longer test ride having finished the build. My uncle bought it new at Bloor Cycle in Toronto in 1990 as a gift for himself. The Tange-framed bikes like this one are listed at 26 pounds, whereas the the Columbus frames are 24 - at least on the spec sheet for the various years that's posted upthread. Even so, the ride is like an old Cadillac with a freshly tuned suspension - comfortable, companionable, all-day pleasant. The original Suntour hubs are smooth-rolling, though the front Araya rim is getting a little worn. I plan to find a NOS Araya rim and build up a new wheel with a modern dynohub and set up some lights. One of these days a Voyageur frame one size up will come along and I'll migrate the parts over. Until then, I'll enjoy this bike as is. I plan to take it on a short tour around eastern Ontario in May or June. The 7-speed Accushift indexing XCE derailleur + bar end setup is getting a bit old and off-spec, but functions at about 85 percent with a replacement Shimano cassette freewheel. I think next go-around I'll replace it with a Suntour VGT-Luxe I have in the bin and pick up a friction bar end instead. I'm not sure if they made an Accushift 7-speed Superbe derailleur - could be an option. I really enjoy the Panaracer PT touring tires. Fenders are SKS and could do with some more tweaking, but I like the classic British Bluemels see-the-field-through-the-fenders look.

20210418_141147

Last edited by Ged117; 05-10-21 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 01:45 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Looks fantastic. Don’t see this year often!

20210418_141147 [/QUOTE]
Old 05-09-21, 03:53 PM
justcynn

Take a look at this link. It describes the kind of bosses that came on my 85 Voyageur (though the article is about a Raleigh of the same era). That standard did not last long and finding parts is not easy but if you already have parts, then you are fine.. I ended up doing the cable stop conversion that the article recommends.

https://simplicityvintagecycles.com/...aga-continues/
thank you for sharing this, I finally got around to starting to mock up the Voyageur and the problem with the shifter bosses is exactly as you describe. I will likely do the conversion as you have and is noted in the article...

back on the shelf the voyaguer goes, too much riding to do, not enough time
Old 05-09-21, 07:33 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
The 7-speed Accushift indexing XCE derailleur + bar end setup is getting a bit old and off-spec, but functions at about 85 percent with a replacement Shimano cassette.
Are you definitely running a 7-speed cassette or is it a freewheel? If it’s a cassette you can easily mod it to work better with those Suntour shifters.

Suntour center-to-center cog spacing is 4.8(low gears) and 5.0 (high gears) where as Shimano is 5.0 straight across. If you replace the last 3 (low gear) 7 speed spacers, with 8 speed spacers, it will get you 4.85 center to center spacing and close enough for everything to work without fuss.

I did this for one of my bikes and it worked out great.
Old 05-10-21, 09:02 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
Are you definitely running a 7-speed cassette or is it a freewheel? If it’s a cassette you can easily mod it to work better with those Suntour shifters.

Suntour center-to-center cog spacing is 4.8(low gears) and 5.0 (high gears) where as Shimano is 5.0 straight across. If you replace the last 3 (low gear) 7 speed spacers, with 8 speed spacers, it will get you 4.85 center to center spacing and close enough for everything to work without fuss.

I did this for one of my bikes and it worked out great.
Thanks for this prompt. It is in fact a freewheel, and maybe I overstated how the indexing has degraded. It works just fine for my needs, even if it is starting to show its age.
Old 05-11-21, 01:34 AM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Today I joined the Voyageur Owners' Club. Looking forward to making a few tweaks and putting some miles on this, it's been a while since I've had a geared bike. Better pics to come as well.
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 05-11-21, 05:52 AM
roadsnakes

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 121 Posts
Frame Pump

I put these pics in the April is Green Bike Month thread but I want to include them here in case anyone wants to see a Voyageur with 700X40 gravel tires on it. These are Clement (now Donnelly) Explor MSO tires. They fit nicely at the fork and the brake bridge but a little tight at the chainstays.
'

Is that new frame pump you have on your bike?

I don`t see many anymore.

Are they still readily available?
Old 05-11-21, 06:00 AM
beicster 

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
'

Is that new frame pump you have on your bike?

I don`t see many anymore.

Are they still readily available?
Yes, it is newish. It is the largest Zefal HPx (4?). I bought it online either off ebay or one of the larger internet based retailers. Maybe Ben's Cycle? I think I bought it just before the pandemic related shortages started so you may have a harder time finding them now.
Old 05-12-21, 05:07 AM
roadsnakes

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 121 Posts
I`m thinking of getting one for my Schwinn Passage.

I`ve had three flats in the past year, and always miles away from home.
'

Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 05-13-21, 12:39 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
I`m thinking of getting one for my Schwinn Passage.

I`ve had three flats in the past year, and always miles away from home.
'

never knew the Passage came in this color. I have a Grey one . I will post a pic. ​​​​​
Old 05-13-21, 02:07 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/b...314165627.html
check this out. , Im to cheap , but probably worth it...
Old 05-13-21, 04:20 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Not $1,600 worth it.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 05-13-21, 04:51 PM
beicster 

Originally Posted by rossiny
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/b...314165627.html
check this out. , Im to cheap , but probably worth it...
There is an awful lot of competition at that price. You would have to find the perfect buyer to move it at that price. Also, he says it was the last of the Chicago made Schwinns. Is that correct?
Old 05-13-21, 08:34 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Making progress on the new Voyageur. Did a light clean and polish on the seatpost, bars, and wheels, and replaced the saddle and stem with an All-City Gonzo and a Dia Compe quill I had in the parts bin. Also switched out the dry-rotted old tires for a set of Gatorskins. New cable and bar tape are on the way, so it should be ready to ride by the end of next week with any luck.
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 05-17-21, 09:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
There is an awful lot of competition at that price. You would have to find the perfect buyer to move it at that price. Also, he says it was the last of the Chicago made Schwinns. Is that correct?
I think it was made in South Carolina or a nearby state.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-17-21, 12:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I think it was made in South Carolina or a nearby state.
Briefly, Schwinn had a plant in Mississippi. No idea if any Voyageurs were ever built there.

Old 06-05-21, 08:21 PM
justcynn

couldnt pass on two more vintage tourer's....1988 or perhaps 1989 Voyageur and 1985 Le Tour Luxe (my understanding this is a close cousin the Voyageur and was the third Touring option behind the Voyageur SP and Voyageur, this model became the Passage in 1986).

Both look to be in very good condition, $275 for the pair - I look at it like I would have paid $275 for the Voyageur so the Luxe is a bonus.

I don't have them yet, but my friend who picked them up for me said there is no date on the head badge of the Voyageur. Have scoured many pictures and I am thinking it may be a 1989 since not clearly bio-pace and from what I can see in the pics I have - not clearly in what appears to be the more common '88 - but someone in this thread posted what they called a 1988 Voyageur SP, so maybe its that? I will post better pictures once I pick it up. The owner said they hung in his shed for 30 years so not sure if they are actually original - if they are, was a bit surprised to see a metal pie plate on the voyageur and the seat doesn't appear stock on the Voyageur...but I have also read this was getting close to the end for Schwinn and undocumented builds weren't that uncommon either.

Plan is to to do a quick tune up on these and get them riding as I have neglected to get the 1984 NOS Frame built up. Suffering from too many bikes in the stable, but if these are as original and nice as they appear in the pics, something else may have to go

Likes For justcynn:
Old 06-10-21, 11:10 AM
GrayIS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Is this a 1983 Voyageur SP?

Bought this a few years ago and I wanted to actually ride it this summer. Frame is in poor cosmetic shape with a ding in the top bar. No decals on it so I cant tell what model. HELP

Old 06-10-21, 01:36 PM
beicster 

Looks like it could be an 83 SP. They came in Champagne/Brown and had Champion Tubing. The 82 had 4130 tubing and caliper brakes. The 84 had Columbus tubing. Some pictures with the components would be useful.

https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...983Ltwt06.html
Old 06-10-21, 02:25 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayIS
Bought this a few years ago and I wanted to actually ride it this summer. Frame is in poor cosmetic shape with a ding in the top bar. No decals on it so I cant tell what model. HELP

Old 06-16-21, 01:46 PM
justcynn

1989? Voyageur in Emerald Green. No Number on Head Badge but I believe serial number indicates a build of Oct 1988 making it a '89? Doesn't have BioPace but also 50-46-30 which is diff than the Summary Sheet.. Also has 105 Shift Levers Could be the previous owner did some mods, but thats seems unliely with how original it was including original tires.

hown as acquired except new 27x1 1/8 Pasela ProTite Tires and some cheap bar tape till she reveals what she really wants to be. Also picked a 1985 Schwinn LeTour Luxe in similar condition shown above...ill post it here since its a close cousin once she gets a quick makeover. Really digging the emerald green!

Last edited by justcynn; 06-16-21 at 01:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.