Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand New bike crashed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brand New bike crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 07:18 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
If that bike was about $2,000 (quick web look), then there should be no real issue of his insurance covering it but, again, get an appraisal of possible hidden damage on a carbon frame.
Old 05-31-21, 07:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
There's other groups far more concerned with collision avoidance than us, namely aircraft and shipping. They rely heavily on strobes and would disagree with disco reasoning. So do most fire and police vehicles, although the strobing parts might not be white. Buoy markers, masts, most aircraft, runway approach lighting, water towers, beacons, lighthouses, etc are examples. The number of times I've made brief eye contact with drivers during a yield, who clearly saw my daytime strobe, is priceless. I should I add mine sit very low with a Paul mount at the front dropout level, and pointed down a tad, so not to distract oncoming riders while still being effective. I find the night time effect is amazing at showing the contour of the oncoming road surface. Plus I never use it on paths, can't understand why riders do this. Those high mounted space lasers strapped to bars can't be lumped in with thoughtful lighting that avoids collision.
In terms of boats and planes they aren't really comparable to a road situation but yes they do use lights and sometimes they aren't solid and sometimes they are not white light. However not useful in our discussion.

In terms of emergency vehicles and police they are generally going to an emergency and need to get there quickly and get people out of the way, they are typically traveling at high speeds and blaring sirens as well. Still problematic for vision but generally gone quickly unlikely a slow moving bicycle (and yes I include the fast roadies in that category) and generally a part of the job rather than a choice someone makes

See a low rider light pointing more at the ground might not be so bad. However you are in a real minority on that most people prefer to keep it high and bright as all get up. However still I like to avoid flashing lights unless I am an emergency vehicle or at least in an emergency which is quite rare if ever. If I am on a bike and in an emergency I am probably not able to ride.
Old 05-31-21, 11:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Very good to ride with a strobe light. You can't be serious advising otherwise. Billions have been spent R&D'ing bicycle stobes and they have persisted in the marketplace for decades. Bad? Define bad in that context.
I am sure that flashing lights have existed since the early 2000's at least. Nevertheless, they are practically expected by the majority of drivers and, more importantly, law enforcement authority figures. I don't use mine in the daytime, because I'd rather save the batteries for when they are really needed.

All that said, I have little fear of riding without lights! 45 years in urban traffic and no serious collisions ... no collisions ever, to date. It ain't luck! You CAN prevent most collisions by riding defensively, and by not putting responsibility for your safety onto the shoulders of total strangers. I'm not telling you that, I figure you know that already. When I turn on the flasher it is so that if I wind up in an accident no one can say "see, if he had had flashers ...", but I would never suggest to someone (as has been done in this thread) that they should use flashers to prevent an accident. They do not, and cannot. Ride defensively.
Sigh ... I have NOT recommended flashing headlights in the dark. This thread is not about riding in the dark. The picture being discussed was taken in daylight. I have not even recommended lights at all in the daytime. I was responding to another poster who labelled flashing lights of any kind as bad.

Read the first two together, especially the part about why you don't use them in the day because you save them for "when they are really needed." Well, logically, if not day, when are they really needed? If you didn't intend to convey that you were using flashers at night, that's on you.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the flashing as either a rider or a driver.
Old 06-01-21, 06:04 AM
Clydesdalecliff

Bikes: 2016 Emonda S5, Navigator 200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not unreasonable, perfectly acceptable

Originally Posted by mwatt65
I bought a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 yesterday, On my first ride today A motorcycle turned left in front of me, We collided is it wrong of me to want a new bike? I cannot see any damage to the frame except a few scuff marks on the brakes. I was doing about 17MPH when we collided. With the carbon frame & forks, how would I tell if theirs damage? I have a few bruises & scrapes on my legs.

Thank you.
You're not unreasonable. The nature of Carbon means the bike may be catastrophically damaged you just cannot see it. When the failure finally shows itself who knows what injuries you'll sustain.
Likes For Clydesdalecliff:
Old 06-01-21, 09:10 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Clydesdalecliff
You're not unreasonable. The nature of Carbon means the bike may be catastrophically damaged you just cannot see it. When the failure finally shows itself who knows what injuries you'll sustain.
Woo.

When carbon break it breaks with a tear, a puncture or by being crushed. It does not develop small cracks which could fail later like a steel or alloy frame might, by nature of it being a composite material. That is why it is a superior, and oft preferred material for many bike frames.

"I spent a good afternoon surfing the internet trying to find examples of carbon frames or forks which had snapped suddenly while being ridden due to an unnoticed fault or previous unseen damage. While there were plenty of people talking about it, and swearing blind it’s a possibility, I didn’t come across anyone claiming that it had happened to them. Not even a ‘my cousin’s friend’ anecdote. There were plenty of examples of carbon bikes that have smashed, splintered and crushed on impact, but that isn’t the scenario I’m looking at. What I did find, was examples of where carbon and metal components which were bonded together had separated."

https://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/the-d...is%20different.
Old 06-01-21, 01:33 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Years ago a repair shop I worked at damaged a brand new Corvette. Hoist went through the floorboard of the car. Customer demanded a brand new car. He didn't get it.
Old 06-01-21, 02:35 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Matt, I'm sorry this happened and am glad you weren't seriously injured.
I have the same bike and I'd be really upset if I had just paid for a brand new, flawless bike that was now (at the very least) scuffed up and scratched. Especially if it wasn't my fault.
Old 06-01-21, 04:18 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
Years ago a repair shop I worked at damaged a brand new Corvette. Hoist went through the floorboard of the car. Customer demanded a brand new car. He didn't get it.
should have gotten legal representation.
Old 06-01-21, 07:39 PM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thank you, how do you like the Revolt? I bought it for mainly road riding to upgrade from my Giant Escape disc 1. I felt it was more forgiving on the road, not as much vibration as the Escape.
Old 06-02-21, 05:18 AM
probe1957

Originally Posted by Troul
should have gotten legal representation.
Sure, this is *******. But in all likelihood, he would have lost. As I recall the repair was like $1200.
Old 06-02-21, 05:47 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Sure, this is *******. But in all likelihood, he would have lost. As I recall the repair was like $1200.
See...should have gone with real steel.
Likes For canadian deacon:
Old 06-02-21, 09:38 AM
Troul 

Having that "repair" on the title hurts resale value. It's not the owner's fault nor was it in there possession at the time of incident. The dealer imo is on the hook to buy that vehicle back & provide the option to cash out or replace the vehicle with another one identical to it. It's amazing with the lack of taking responsibility of an accident or mistake happens. It's getting worse too.
Old 06-02-21, 11:43 AM
probe1957

Having that "repair" on the title hurts resale value. It's not the owner's fault nor was it in there possession at the time of incident. The dealer imo is on the hook to buy that vehicle back & provide the option to cash out or replace the vehicle with another one identical to it. It's amazing with the lack of taking responsibility of an accident or mistake happens. It's getting worse too.
Can you imagine how much insurance would cost if the owner of a $40k car could demand it be replaced in lieu of a $1200, perfectly adequate repair?
Old 06-02-21, 12:29 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mwatt65
Thank you, how do you like the Revolt? I bought it for mainly road riding to upgrade from my Giant Escape disc 1. I felt it was more forgiving on the road, not as much vibration as the Escape.
I love it! It's really comfortable on the road and gravel. I take it out on the road when I want a bit more of a workout than I can get on my Synapse, and it's great on gravel and rough "adventure" roads.
Old 06-02-21, 02:02 PM
Troul 

Can you imagine how much insurance would cost if the owner of a $40k car could demand it be replaced in lieu of a $1200, perfectly adequate repair?
be more careful next time.
Old 06-03-21, 05:50 AM
probe1957

be more careful next time.
Genius!
Likes For probe1957:
Old 06-03-21, 06:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Isn’t it ironic?
Like a black fly in your Chardonnay?
Old 06-03-21, 07:02 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not good to ride with a strobe light, we are bike riders not a mobile discotheque it can be more a distraction and make it harder to see.
So, is it a distraction or does it make it harder for drivers to see you? It can't be both.
Old 06-03-21, 11:22 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I've read that flashing bike lights are "illegal" in Germany and Holland. Must have been some strong evidence against 'em... no?
Old 07-06-21, 01:44 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I've read that flashing bike lights are "illegal" in Germany and Holland. Must have been some strong evidence against 'em... no?
No. They simply aren't as necessary there. A German driver cannot simply say "so sorry, I didn't see him/her" when they clobber someone and waltz off without any consequences. So they don't! Clobber cyclists. So the German DOT can reserve flashing lights for things that really, really ought to be more visible than they otherwise might be. The US authorities ENCOURAGE cyclists to use flashing lights. Because they don't know what else to do for them. IOW they are NOT illegal here. Why is there still hand wringing over that?
Old 07-06-21, 06:11 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
While diminution in value is a recognizable legal injury, it doesn’t mean new $40k car for $1200 in damages. It means that the owner of the car gets $1200 for the repair plus whatever the amount of the reduced value is. So if the car is worth 10% less after being repaired compared to an undamaged car, then the owner gets $1200 plus $4000, not a brand new car.

Bringing it back to bikes, what’s the market resale value for a wrecked carbon bike versus a ridden once, never wrecked carbon bike?
Old 07-06-21, 07:58 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major
While diminution in value is a recognizable legal injury, it doesn’t mean new $40k car for $1200 in damages. It means that the owner of the car gets $1200 for the repair plus whatever the amount of the reduced value is. So if the car is worth 10% less after being repaired compared to an undamaged car, then the owner gets $1200 plus $4000, not a brand new car.

Bringing it back to bikes, what’s the market resale value for a wrecked carbon bike versus a ridden once, never wrecked carbon bike?
This would be very difficult to quantify I suspect, since bike repairs are not logged like car repairs are with Carfax, and not many people would advertise a crash when selling a bike if there was no more visible damage and they could get away with fibbing.

I imagine that if the insurance company didn’t offer to replace the bike based on a note from a bike shop that it is impossible to tell if there is hidden damage, then you could probably make the argument that the “Diminished value” claim is worth pretty much the full value of the bike, as you’d be hard pressed to find a buyer for the bike at all if the crash was disclosed.

I don’t think that would be necessary, though. If they are accepting liability for the accident, they have a huge potential exposure for OP’s injury, as pedestrian/bicycle accidents can be very serious and victims garner a lot of sympathy from juries.

I think OP has a pretty good bargaining chip, and the motorcyclist’s carrier has a large incentive to just take care of him and buy him a new bike.
Old 07-06-21, 08:59 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I had my first bike accident the 2nd time I took out my brand new 2022 Specialized Tarmac SL7 Comp($5000 bike with Roval CL50 carbon wheels). I went out on a day with a chance of rain and got caught in a downpour. I took a sharp right hand turn and my rear wheel came out from under me going about 13mph. I fell on the right side. It scraped the rear derailleur and bent the derailleur hanger. I wasn't wearing a helmet like a noob. I got a bad hip bruise, road rash on both hands, big scrape on my right shoulder and my head bounced off the ground pretty hard. The handlebars were not pointing the right direction and I couldn't shift gears without the rear derailleur rubbing against the spokes. I got pretty lucky actually. No frame damage that I can see and it didn't mess up my nice white gloss paint. One of the hoods has a little rub spot. I bought myself a nice helmet and don't ride if there is a good chance of rain. Better to use a indoor trainer on rainy days. To make matters worse I took the derailleur hanger off my Specialized Diverge so I could ride my new bike while I waited for the new hanger to arrive. I stripped the threads on the Diverge hanger and couldn't ride either bike. I ended up ordering 3 derailleur hangers so I have a spare. I don't like the big scrape on the rear derailleur but it works like a champ. I don't notice any shift issues.