Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't Flame Me: READ THE FIRST AND HIGHLIGHTED SENTENCES

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 10:22 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I KNOW THAT IT'S NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE COMPANY BUT...

I have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 tray style hitch rack that I am very happy with. Most of my bikes don't have fenders and I've had no problems. I do however have three bikes with fenders. TWO OF THE FENDERED BIKES ARE STEEL AND THE OTHER IS ALUMINUM. I understand that Kuat states that the wheel hook should be close to the brakes or fork. The fenders (Planet Bike) on my other bikes come to the top of my front wheel and when I've mounted the bikes with the hook at the end of the fender, it seems to hold the bike very well and appears to be sturdy. Since the Sherpa has a front wheel cup that cradles the back of the front wheel, I don't see a problem, particularly if I add a Velcro retention strap around the bottom of the rim. I have also found that I can attach the hook to fit over the top tube and the bike is also held in a sturdy fashion. Most of the "big" name rack manufacturers (Thule, Saris, Yakima, Swagman, Hollywood, etc.) have models that attach by the frame, so why would this be a problem with the Kuat? Again, touching the frame would only occur with non-carbon bikes and I'd use a pad to prevent major scratches.
Has anyone tried either of the two methods I described above with fendered bikes?
Old 07-05-21, 06:50 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
When we sell a tray rack like what you have we always demonstrate the proper way to set the "wheel hook" so that it clamps down on the wheel as close to the fork as possible. We have seen what happens when that advice and manufacturers instruction is not followed.
Seems to me using the "wheel hook" to clamp down on the frame is a better option than not clamping down on the front wheel correctly. The only way to know for sure is to try it and find out.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-05-21, 07:57 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Reading the reply avoe and thinking about how the hook works.... If the hook is too far forward (away from the fork) it is not "locked" in place and the diameter, well, probably chord, of the wheel gets narrower and the hook can slip off the wheel. At the fork, the hook is on the wheel below the high point of the curve and cannot slip off the wheel. And I'm not explaining it and without diagrams, well....

Having just used my Kuat for the first time in a few years I was really careful securing that hook. A friend who purchased one at the same time, returned it since she has fenders on her bike.

I guess one could jury-rig something to strap the hook bar to the stem or top tube to make sure it cannot slip forward off the wheel.
Old 07-05-21, 09:08 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
OP: I have a Thule xt Pro 2 rack (or something like that - can't recall the exact name) that works the same way, and I also have a couple bikes with fenders.

First, I think it is best to use such a rack with a fendered bike only when necessary, since they are not really designed to go together.

Second, here is what I do: I use a piece of cylindrical foam which originally came on a new bike's frame for protection; any shop can give you loads of this stuff, as it comes on pretty much every boxed new bike they receive. (A good alternative would be pipe insulation, if you have any of that laying around.) I use a piece that is about 5" long, and it has a slit down the long dimension. I just slide it under the front fender (so, it's lodged between the fender and the tire), then I position the rack's clamp where it usually goes -- just where the mfr recommends. The padding, placed under the fender, keeps the fender from being bent down toward the tire, while still allowing the clamp to do its job.

If that isn't clear, let me know and I will make (and post) a photo.
Old 07-05-21, 09:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I clamp carbon, steel, aluminum, and magnesium framed bikes on my thule hitch mount rack. I also sometimes add a bungie type cord for extra security.
Old 07-05-21, 11:12 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I don't flame people. I just ignore the posts that I consider offensive.
Your question is a good one. In some climates, we cannot ride much without fenders.
Old 07-07-21, 03:38 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. Yes, Koyote, your comment was clear and I'll look into it.

Take care and be well.
Old 07-07-21, 06:55 AM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I clamp carbon, steel, aluminum, and magnesium framed bikes on my thule hitch mount rack. I also sometimes add a bungie type cord for extra security.
Very helpful, thanks.
Old 07-07-21, 07:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
OTOH, I have good luck with SKS detachable fenders if you want to approach the problem from the other direction.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-21, 07:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think what you are suggesting (clamping the wheel in front of the fender and using a strap at the bottom of the wheel) will work fine IF you use a proper strap (i.e., not Velcro).

heck it may even be fine without the strap, but I would not want to find out.

Long of the short is that in your situation, I would do exactly what you are thinking, and would not worry about it.
Old 07-07-21, 01:04 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Very helpful, thanks.
OP seemed to have been concerned with damaging the bike tubes. Now do you get it.
Old 07-07-21, 01:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
OP seemed to have been concerned with damaging the bike tubes. Now do you get it.
yes, but that seems because of the planned incorrect use of the hook. Koyote gave him a very good alternative.
Old 07-07-21, 04:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I just followed the directions in the thread title.
Old 07-07-21, 06:26 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I just followed the directions in the thread title.
Well-constructed sentences. Concise, like the instructions themselves.

Lacking context perhaps.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera