Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help for available upgrades

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 07:06 AM
nikolajovanoski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
I`m new ti the bike riding and i have a low budget bike that has some shimano tourney mechanics in specific:
freewheel: Shimano mf-tz500, 6 speed
Shimano sl-rs-35 hand shifter
Shimano rd-ty21 rear shifter
Shimano fd-tz500 front shifter
So i have this issue the hand shifters or the rear spoket shifter does not wanna adjust properly and can`t change good through the gears.
So i want to upgrade my shifters to something cheap but more reliable. And i think my shifters are copies some chinese because reading from the reviews online from the bike company they say that they use low quality parts .

Thanks
Old 06-12-20, 07:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Before you start throwing money around, try this:

1. Shift your bike into a gear combination that makes the derailleur arm point downward.
2. Prop your bike up against a wall or something and look at the derailleur from the back.
3. If your derailleur arm seems to be pointing at your back tire (my bet on a bike that age) there's your problem. It should be pointing straight down.

The good news is that there's no need for fancy special alignment tools on a bike like yours. Just reach down with your hands and bend the whole derailleur until arm points down.
Old 06-12-20, 07:51 AM
nikolajovanoski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Before you start throwing money around, try this:

1. Shift your bike into a gear combination that makes the derailleur arm point downward.
2. Prop your bike up against a wall or something and look at the derailleur from the back.
3. If your derailleur arm seems to be pointing at your back tire (my bet on a bike that age) there's your problem. It should be pointing straight down.

The good news is that there's no need for fancy special alignment tools on a bike like yours. Just reach down with your hands and bend the whole derailleur until arm points down.
Alright I will try this but wanna upgrade something because it feels just like a bad bike it has 26inch wheels so I`m thinking on buying 26x1.50 tires I`m only riding on road so would be good. Also i have this quick release hub on the rear wheel but it loses it self when riding should i upgrade for different hub
Old 06-12-20, 08:22 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by nikolajovanoski
Also i have this quick release hub on the rear wheel but it loses it self when riding should i upgrade for different hub
Not likely. You probably just need to install it properly. There are YouTube videos to show you how.
Old 06-12-20, 08:27 AM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Alright I will try this but wanna upgrade something because it feels just like a bad bike it has 26inch wheels so I`m thinking on buying 26x1.50 tires I`m only riding on road so would be good. Also i have this quick release hub on the rear wheel but it loses it self when riding should i upgrade for different hub
The problem is that for 6 speed shifting there are no upgrades currently available. The last time that 6 speed was current technology was in the late 1970's and most shifting was friction only
Old 06-12-20, 09:31 AM
nikolajovanoski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright thanks guys i`m surprised so fast response thanks again.
Old 06-12-20, 10:00 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
By the time you spend the money on all those upgrades you'll be getting close to the price of a new 7-speed rear cluster, triple chainring bike.

Cheers
Old 06-12-20, 10:05 AM
nikolajovanoski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is crossing my mind I am also thinking about getting a new bike hybrid or trekking bike i only ride on road pavement so i don`t need fat tires or shocks. Also this one is too small for me im 6 foot 4 so 28inch wheeler looks good to me but i need to gather some money till them i`ll be rocking this one
Old 06-12-20, 10:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Also i have this quick release hub on the rear wheel but it loses it self when riding should i upgrade for different hub
Try this when you are installing your wheel:

1. Hold the Quick Release lever straight out so that it's parallel with the axle.
2. Tighten the nut on the other end of the axle until it is just barely finger tight.
3. Now push the QR lever in so that it is perpendicular to the axle. If it isn't hard to do, you didn't do it right.

When you tighten a quick release this way, make sure you position the lever so that you can get a finger under it when it comes time to take the wheel off.
Old 06-12-20, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The problem is that for 6 speed shifting there are no upgrades currently available. The last time that 6 speed was current technology was in the late 1970's and most shifting was friction only
Excuse me....DURA ACE 7400 and it was indexed thank you kindly. I believe that would have gone through at least 1988 but possibly longer with Uniglide cassettes. Mine is still going today (aside from some issues with the front friction shifter)

But yeah 6 speed is older tech a little newer than the 70s but not by leaps and bounds.

Me personally I would run any tourney bike into the ground (which shouldn't take long) and save your money for something decent that won't have tourney problems.
Old 06-12-20, 10:07 PM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Excuse me....DURA ACE 7400 and it was indexed thank you kindly. I believe that would have gone through at least 1988 but possibly longer with Uniglide cassettes. Mine is still going today (aside from some issues with the front friction shifter)

e.
Dura Ace SIS indexed shifters were mid 1980's tech. I was talking about 1970's tech when 6 speed was state of the art. My 1973 Raleigh Professional had a 6 speed freewheel