Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Worthy Bike Charities

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Worthy Bike Charities

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 05:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah as I said, I kind of have mixed feelings about RTC and bike trails in general. Rail Trails serve a purpose and can be great for a place for families to take their kids or others who may not otherwise ride on the roads. I don't like that folks use them as a reason why bikes should be kept off the highways. There is significant sentiment that would like to say that bikes don't belong on the public highways and the more bike trails there are the more they say that is where bike belong.

When it comes to long distance trails for multiday touring I have even less interest in bike trails. With some exceptions I tend to avoid bike trails especially long distance ones when on tour.

As a result of all that, while I am not completely anti-bike trail, I am also not inclined to donate to causes like RTC.
Old 04-24-21, 06:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly I
My mother left a significant sum to a local animal shelter. Her will instructed if that shelter were no longer operational, then the money was to go to a specific national animal rescue. Unfortunately, the local shelter was defunct. I called the current operation and asked if they had reorganized/renamed. No, they were completely separate. I told the attorney that I was sure my mother would rather her money stayed local. The attorney instructed me that the money had to go to the national organization because her will didn't allow for a different, local shelter.

You might take that experience into consideration in your wording.
Similar experience here, I was executor of my mother's estate, things changed before she died and my hands were tied due to specific wording.

You want those that are carrying out your wishes to have the ability to pick something else, perhaps specify some broad criteria to use if the contingency is needed.

And do not leave any ambiguities in a will. One of my uncles left a will with some hand written directions and a hand drawn line. How that line was interpreted was decided by a judge to mean something that changed how collectables worth a couple hundred thousand dollars were distributed.
Old 04-24-21, 06:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I do not know if large sums are involved, I assume not. But if they are, I have heard of small charities that get a large one time donation that spend it as if it is dependable reoccurring revenue. And a year or two later after they spent it, they are hurting for lack of revenue and having to cut back or may fail. My point is that I would never donate more than some small percent of a charity's revenue, say 5 or 10 percent so that it does not give them the huge boost, followed by a bust.
Old 04-24-21, 07:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Similar experience here, I was executor of my mother's estate, things changed before she died and my hands were tied due to specific wording.

You want those that are carrying out your wishes to have the ability to pick something else, perhaps specify some broad criteria to use if the contingency is needed.

And do not leave any ambiguities in a will. One of my uncles left a will with some hand written directions and a hand drawn line. How that line was interpreted was decided by a judge to mean something that changed how collectables worth a couple hundred thousand dollars were distributed.
I am less concerned about that at least when it comes to the donor fund. I am more concerned that my wishes are followed to the letter and not interpreted. I figure it is up to me to keep my donor fund up to date. The fund will not be managed by family when I am gone, so it is my responsibility to be sure my wishes are clear. That is in part why I am skeptical about local charities that may change or not be around. I expect to review my donor fund entries yearly (with my wife who will also have entries) as long as I am mentally sharp enough to do so. My financial folks are there to remind me when we do annual reviews of my overall status. They are pretty good at keeping me on track with reminders on stuff like that and assistance if I ask.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not know if large sums are involved, I assume not. But if they are, I have heard of small charities that get a large one time donation that spend it as if it is dependable reoccurring revenue. And a year or two later after they spent it, they are hurting for lack of revenue and having to cut back or may fail. My point is that I would never donate more than some small percent of a charity's revenue, say 5 or 10 percent so that it does not give them the huge boost, followed by a bust.
That is something to keep in mind. I don't see that happening though. It just isn't likely that much of my estate would go to a small enough charity for that to be an issue. If it were an issue money can be spread more widely across more charities or across more years and it isn't as if I have a huge estate.