Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

spokes are spinning when truing wheel after spoke repacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 04:16 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Me again.

different wheel. different problem.

I had to replace two spokes on this Easton wheel a few years ago (green .tape)
then I just put it aside and forgot about it.
this week I pulled it out and realized that it was still WAY out of true.
but when I tighten the nipples, the spokes spin so I am not getting any additional / needed tension.
these are straight spokes. the orignals were butted but as I could not at the time find butted spokes, I used straight gauge spokes. I don't think that should be a problem.

I would have thought this was a common problem but I cannot find anyone else's write up or solution.

initially I thought it was just the two new spokes - maybe their heads did not fit the slot in the hub correctly. But when I put a piece of (blue) tape on the butted spokes I could see that they too were spinning when I adjusted the nipple.

I know that bladed spokes need to be held steady with one hand while the nipple is tightened. But none of these spokes are bladed.

what am I missing here?

Peter

Old 08-08-21, 04:20 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Lube the threads and nipples, and/or hold the spoke with your fingers (rubber gloves might help) or cushioned pliers (squeeze gently).
Old 08-08-21, 04:45 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Other than the obvious, that the spokes need to be braced while tensioning...

...look across the across the side of the rim where the spokes in question are located.

Are the holes bulging inward?

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 08-08-21, 05:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Peter- Just hold the spokes with a pliers or such. Some will use a cable 4th hand with the spoke where the cable would go. Andy
Old 08-08-21, 05:32 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Other than the obvious, that the spokes need to be braced while tensioning...
...look across the across the side of the rim where the spokes in question are located.
Are the holes bulging inward?
=8-|
if memory serves, these replacement spokes were never tensioned at all after they were installed.
and the WOW in the wheel is exactly where these two replacement spokes are located. so that makes sense.

but No, I don't see any abnormality in the rim where these spokes are.

and I guess my question is that "how do i brace a round spoke? without damaging it? a bladed spoke, I get how to brace it - hold it with a flat key. but round?
Old 08-08-21, 06:36 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
...and I guess my question is that "how do i brace a round spoke? without damaging it? a bladed spoke, I get how to brace it - hold it with a flat key. but round?
See post #2. "cushioned".
I'd use a pair of vise grips with some aluminum sheet (not foil!) between the jaws and the spoke.
Old 08-08-21, 06:41 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
if memory serves, these replacement spokes were never tensioned at all after they were installed.
and the WOW in the wheel is exactly where these two replacement spokes are located. so that makes sense.

but No, I don't see any abnormality in the rim where these spokes are.

and I guess my question is that "how do i brace a round spoke? without damaging it? a bladed spoke, I get how to brace it - hold it with a flat key. but round?
Lotsa ways....doesn't require much.

1. Heavier gauge spokes, very strong finger pinch can do it.

2. vise grips / pliers with coated or wrapped jaws...but the coating / wrap will wear off - can be clumsy / unwieldly.

3. Those plastic clamps (medium) with the plastic swiveled jaws from the hardware stores. (Faster placement and removal.)

If you use any kinda "glue" as part of the installation - the problem is amplified and the solution has to be more "firm" in its application.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 08-08-21, 06:56 PM
pstock

thank you all. Again!
I am well on track again now.
Peter
Old 08-08-21, 07:34 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Common issue with straight pull spokes. These days, I build at least as many wheels with straight pulls as with J bend, and some way of holding the spoke from rotating is a must.
I use a twist resist tool. Matter of fact, I wore one out I used it so much, so I made a new one.

Likes For Dan Burkhart: