Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ghost Shifting

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ghost Shifting

Old 08-26-21, 10:14 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Ghost Shifting

While riding the gears shift by themselves. Tried adjusting cable tension numerous times. Does the derailleur look like it is on alignment?
Old 08-26-21, 10:25 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Is the cable slipping?
​​​​​​Shift up thru the gears without pedalling to put tension on the cable. Does it slip? Dont go crazy
Photo looks like a clean cared for bike so i suspect operator error.
Old 08-26-21, 10:37 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by blamester
Is the cable slipping?
​​​​​​Shift up thru the gears without pedalling to put tension on the cable. Does it slip? Dont go crazy
Photo looks like a clean cared for bike so i suspect operator error.
No Slipping!
Old 08-26-21, 12:33 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
If on rough terrain possible weak deraileur spring or chain to long?
Old 08-26-21, 12:36 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by zandoval
If on rough terrain possible weak deraileur spring or chain to long?
I think that weak derailleur spring is a more likely since I cannot shift into the highest gear. Can I remedy the weak spring?
Old 08-26-21, 12:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Did you just put a new chain on there?
Old 08-26-21, 12:56 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by daniell
I think that weak derailleur spring is a more likely since I cannot shift into the highest gear. Can I remedy the weak spring?
No
Old 08-26-21, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
No
Talking to yourself? <grin>

Assuming you meant to quote me instead on this question:
Originally Posted by Iride01
Did you just put a new chain on there?
It seems from the picture two things I'd want to check about the chain.
  1. It looks too wide for that number of speeds. However might be the camera angle,lighting and/or etc,
  2. Also looks too long. If there isn't enough tension on the chain from the DR cage then ghost shifting might happen.

What type shifters? Downtube? Might just need to adjust the tension on them. Especially if old friction shifters, but some indexed might move too.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-26-21, 01:30 PM
daniell

Old XTR 8 speed mountain bike shifters
Old 08-26-21, 02:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
If its a weak deraileur spring its best to replace the deraileur. A cheap one will do if your on a tight budget. I replaced a nice looking Shimano 600 rear derialeur with a cheap SunRace years ago thinking that I would wait a little and get another 600. Wow... The cheap on is still on there going strong.

As far as the shifters are concerned, I just went through a real tiff trying to rebuild my neighbors old indexed shifters. His problem was intermittent skipping of gears when shifting to a higher gear. I found the problem to be one tiny tooth knocked of of a hard plastic gear/cam. It was not fixable.

My experience is with old road bikes. When I see the abuse gears, chains, and indexed shifters go through on mountain bike, I wonder how they last more than a few months if any...
Old 08-27-21, 12:52 PM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Title answers your query: you've got a shifty ghost on your hands!
Old 08-28-21, 01:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Can't tell if the RD is out of alignment at that angle. You have to look at it directly from the rear. If it's bent even a tiny hair it can cause the ghost shift. As beat up as that bike looks it's possible that it's bent inwards a little.
Old 08-29-21, 09:55 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Old XTR 8 speed mountain bike shifters
Those are/were really solid back in the day, they could be sticky. Have you tried flushing the shifters a solvent? I would flush the derailleur also.
Old 08-30-21, 05:49 AM
daniell

I just placed my rear wheel on my truing stand and spun the wheel. All of the cassettes except the last two large ones seem to be wobbling, though there is very little play in them. Can this be a factor in the ghost shifting?
Old 08-30-21, 07:24 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I just placed my rear wheel on my truing stand and spun the wheel. All of the cassettes except the last two large ones seem to be wobbling, though there is very little play in them. Can this be a factor in the ghost shifting?
Any wobbling of the cogs will look worse on the larger cogs.

Shimano cogs (and those that mimic Shimano) these days have a series of a few teeth in a row that are differently shaped for shifting ease. These spots can also look to be a wobbled cog.

Many ghost shifting issues are cable friction caused. But weak return springs are also a common issue as the years add up. One way to test for cable friction is to disconnect the rear shift cable (pulling a casing end out of a frame stop is the easiest way)and then move the der with your fingers to see how it works independent of the cable or lever.

There are other reasons like bent teeth, twisted/damaged chain, miss matched chain/teeth wear, badly worn guide pulley. With the wider tolerances (compared to 9, 10, 11, 12...) of an 8 cog system the der hanger alignment is of somewhat less concern, the fewer the cogs the more tolerant the system is to misalignments in general. Andy
Old 08-30-21, 09:31 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
The inability to shift to the highest gear (smallest sprocket), assuming that the high limit screw is properly set, also raises the possibility of a cable problem. If the cable is snagging either in the housing or at some other "choke point", like a ferrule, the otherwise-perfectly good RD spring may not be strong enough to overcome cable friction, resulting in sluggish/no shifting to the smaller sprockets. I have seen people try to overcome this by reducing cable tension, resulting in screwed-up shifting across the entire cassette. If your cable hasn't seen some love recently, or even if it has, consider pulling it to ensure that it's properly lubed and not rusting or frayed.
Old 08-30-21, 09:44 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Litespud
The inability to shift to the highest gear (smallest sprocket), assuming that the high limit screw is properly set, also raises the possibility of a cable problem. If the cable is snagging either in the housing or at some other "choke point", like a ferrule, the otherwise-perfectly good RD spring may not be strong enough to overcome cable friction, resulting in sluggish/no shifting to the smaller sprockets. I have seen people try to overcome this by reducing cable tension, resulting in screwed-up shifting across the entire cassette. If your cable hasn't seen some love recently, or even if it has, consider pulling it to ensure that it's properly lubed and not rusting or frayed.
I removed the cable and the only way that I can get it to shift to the smallest cog is to push the derailleur. The limit screw has been loosened.
Old 08-30-21, 09:51 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
  1. Also looks too long. If there isn't enough tension on the chain from the DR cage then ghost shifting might happen.
perhaps a pic of small-ring / small-cog might help eliminate the chain being too long as part (the whole?) problem.
Old 08-30-21, 12:32 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I removed the cable and the only way that I can get it to shift to the smallest cog is to push the derailleur. The limit screw has been loosened.
That should resolve the problem.