Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

I want a beach cruiser

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

I want a beach cruiser

Old 09-06-21, 05:35 PM
MisterValloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question I want a beach cruiser

Hi beach cruiser community. I need guidance. I had 2 beach cruisers before, both Schwinn. A Schwinn Heavy Duti which I worn out and a Schwinn Hornet which was stolen at my home. I want a high quality top of the line beach cruiser with aluminum alloy frame and quality 7 speed Shimano derailer. Which companies other than Schwinn make high quality top of the line cruiser bikes? My criterias are quality, light weight, comfort, durable, good looking, not a 3 speed with no derailer.
Old 09-07-21, 12:27 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
What you describe is NOT a cruiser.
Quality 7 sp derailleur?? LOL
Just the last 2 weeks, I rode my 42+ load lbs, 1973 CCM with a new SA RD3, 3 rides over 100 miles. EASY.
I don't call this a cruiser, but it'll cruise all day.
Old 09-07-21, 03:04 AM
MisterValloy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
What you describe is NOT a cruiser.
Quality 7 sp derailleur?? LOL
Just the last 2 weeks, I rode my 42+ load lbs, 1973 CCM with a new SA RD3, 3 rides over 100 miles. EASY.
I don't call this a cruiser, but it'll cruise all day.
Hi Gambler, I am glad that my post made you laugh. Thank you for your reply even if it does not help me at all.
Old 09-07-21, 09:07 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Take a look at Electra 7d Lux . Although the Aluminum framed cruiser weigh about a cheeseburger and an order of fries less than the steel framed ones .
You do get a 3 piece crank with the Lux.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 09-07-21, 09:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
^^^ Agree with above. I purchased a cruiser with a nice frame from Bikes Direct, but in general, I think their quality is very variable.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-07-21, 03:55 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Bike island or bikes direct. More pricey would would be a specialized roll.

I wouldn’t rush into the Electra cruisers because of the weird crank forward “flat foot technology.” Then the owners struggle to get handlebars and seating position that works.

You want the seat post to go to the bottom bracket.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 09-10-21, 12:20 PM
ed h

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
May want to check out some of the larger cruiser brands like SixThreeZero, Firmstrong, 3G bikes etc. Benno bikes used to make some nice 7/8 speed cruisers but looks like all they sell now are ebikes. Usually 7 speeds will use a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur. Few years ago I purchased a Nirve (made by Jamis Bikes) cruiser because of the frame style, but its steel. Wound up swapping/upgrading components and in the process the bike lost 10 lbs and the bike is a lot more fun to ride now.
Likes For ed h:
Old 09-15-21, 02:12 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Bike island or bikes direct. More pricey would would be a specialized roll.

I wouldn’t rush into the Electra cruisers because of the weird crank forward “flat foot technology.” Then the owners struggle to get handlebars and seating position that works.

You want the seat post to go to the bottom bracket.
While I found the "Flat Foot Technology" pretty misleading on the Electras (at least on the Cruiser) because if my foot is flat the seats too low. BUT I do like the more open-relaxed cockpit of having the seat back with wider handlebars. I find it to be extremely comfortable.

I'm a real fan of my 7D in steel. True, you don't get the 3 pc crank and it is a little heavier but I think the lower cost is worth it. The only time I think I notice the weight is loading/unloading it into my truck The seat on the Lux is nicer (debatable) the one on the base model was pretty bad but I replaced mine with a Brooks which ate up the cost difference of the bikes lol.
Old 09-16-21, 09:46 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterValloy
Hi beach cruiser community. I need guidance. I had 2 beach cruisers before, both Schwinn. A Schwinn Heavy Duti which I worn out and a Schwinn Hornet which was stolen at my home. I want a high quality top of the line beach cruiser with aluminum alloy frame and quality 7 speed Shimano derailer. Which companies other than Schwinn make high quality top of the line cruiser bikes? My criterias are quality, light weight, comfort, durable, good looking, not a 3 speed with no derailer.
Schwinn hasn't made a "high-quality" cruiser since 2001, even those 1995-2001 cruisers are subjective to the "high quality" standards. These current ones are complete trash. In fact, I think Huffy might be a 1/4 step better in quality.

Do your self a favor, and watch on Craigslist for one that piques your interest. A little patience, and you can find a decent bike for <$100....
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 09-28-21, 06:10 PM
Captain_Slow

Bikes: Old European roadsters, beach cruisers. Steel snob.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electra bikes are pretty good as cruisers go. I have one and while it rides nicely, I don't like the look of a mile of seatpost past the frame that I need to ride it. My personal favorite is Worksman, but they are Not light. That said Worksman wheels are built to motorcycle scantlings.
Old 09-29-21, 06:36 PM
Josepepe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dyno moto seven
Old 10-01-21, 11:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by Josepepe
Dyno moto seven
You post a bike that's no longer available for sale,...unless someone gets lucky and finds it local.
Old 10-11-21, 05:20 AM
HeatedGloves

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me either