Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting 7 Speed to 11 Speed

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-19-21, 07:15 PM
senorbill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have started the conversion of an old Minelli bike from the 90s. It has a Shimano 200GS derailleur which I will upgrade, but now I am stuck on which freehub to get. The thru-axle is 10mm and that is making it difficult to find.

I have only found one freehub that should work with 10mm axle and 11 speed. It's a Hope Pro 4 Freehub Assembly HUB536 from CRC.

Does anyone have any comments?
Old 09-19-21, 07:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
A 7-speed bike from the 90's won't have thru-axles. It will have quick-releases if decent, nutted axles if cheaper.

Hopefully it's a steel frame -- those are pretty easy to respace to 130mm for a 10/11-speed hub like these: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...6&category=745
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-19-21, 08:10 PM
senorbill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't know the difference between a thru-axle and a nutted-axle. I have a 10mm nutted axle with 135 mm spacing. I presume this means I still need a freehub for a 10mm axle.
Old 09-19-21, 09:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by senorbill
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't know the difference between a thru-axle and a nutted-axle. I have a 10mm nutted axle with 135 mm spacing. I presume this means I still need a freehub for a 10mm axle.
is this a road bike or mountain bike or ********** 135 spacing suggests mountain bike. to go to 11 speed you will need 99% need a new wheel (or newly built wheel) with a freehub (not a freewheel) that will work with an 11 speed cassette, you will also need new chain, new crank, bottom bracket to match the crank, and new shifters (unless you are doing friction) and depending on what deraillers you have, high likely hood of new derailers for starters.

Old 09-19-21, 11:01 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
You can use a normal 135x9mmQR wheel, which is just about the most plentiful thing around.

If you want to use a cassette with a large cog 34t or greater (including pretty much all 11 speed mountain cassettes), you can use an 8/9/10 speed HG freehub. If you want to use a road cassette with a large cog smaller than 34t you will need a 11 speed specific freehub, which will less commonly be available in 135mm, though there are certainly solutions to be found.