Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

To those who said don't convert a vintage to electric....

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 01-31-22, 05:40 PM
spinnanz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts

So I posted my intend build a while back, and a few said don't do it. You will die, the bike will break etc. Well after doing about 4000km on it, I'm not dead, it's not broken and it's been a ton of fun.

Initially it was 300w. That's been well and truly smashed.

Here is where It's at now.....

Last edited by spinnanz; 01-31-22 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-31-22, 05:47 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Yer gonna die!!!
Likes For davester:
Old 01-31-22, 05:54 PM
spinnanz

Originally Posted by davester
Yer gonna die!!!
Technically correct, we all are!
Likes For spinnanz:
Old 01-31-22, 05:58 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Sent a link to my old-bikes-suck and e-bikes-rule friends.

OK, now for someone to make an e-Penny Farthing.

Old 01-31-22, 06:04 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Looks like a fun conversion. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but 61kph (38mph) in the bike lane? The big dog + jogger moment seemed right out of a driver's ed video. Maybe a little less leadfooting in the future?
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 01-31-22, 06:07 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
It's hard for me to tell... Did you save that jogger from being attacked by the woman's dog?

Old 01-31-22, 06:15 PM
spinnanz

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Looks like a fun conversion. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but 61kph (38mph) in the bike lane? The big dog + jogger moment seemed right out of a driver's ed video. Maybe a little less leadfooting in the future?
No offence taken but I was off the throttle a full 10 seconds before being "behind" the runner and walker, at the time of passing I was doing 12kph so I don't really see an issue.

Generally when passing from behind I do about 15kph past and give the bell a ring prior. Kids and dogs I take an extra wide path away from, which was pretty well shown why in the video. Generally I'm doing 45-50, depending on the particular path and number of people.
Likes For spinnanz:
Old 01-31-22, 06:18 PM
spinnanz

Originally Posted by Chuck M
It's hard for me to tell... Did you save that jogger from being attacked by the woman's dog?
Nah he was past her before I was. Ironically he's my neighbour. The dog got pretty close though!
Old 01-31-22, 06:40 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,531 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnanz
No offence taken but I was off the throttle a full 10 seconds before being "behind" the runner and walker, at the time of passing I was doing 12kph so I don't really see an issue.

Generally when passing from behind I do about 15kph past and give the bell a ring prior. Kids and dogs I take an extra wide path away from, which was pretty well shown why in the video. Generally I'm doing 45-50, depending on the particular path and number of people.
if this is any thing like like the mups i uses, 50 kph or 30 mph would be way too fast for safety. yours may be different, with lower traffic or less clueless people

what are you doing for brakes to handle that speed?

This may be a fine line but I draw a big difference between pedal assist bicycles, where you have to pedal to start and keep moving, but get electric help with no throttle and hopefully a assisted top speed of 20mph or so and electric motorcycles, which pedals or not, don't need to be pedaling to start and keep going and have a throttle. the former are a great help to people who may not otherwise bike and the later should be treated like motorcycles and should not be on trails and mups at all, especially the idiot with that fat tire bike who does not slow for anyone...or the pack of one wheel riders.

Old 01-31-22, 06:52 PM
spinnanz

Originally Posted by squirtdad
if this is any thing like like the mups i uses, 50 kph or 30 mph would be way too fast for safety. yours may be different, with lower traffic or less clueless people

what are you doing for brakes to handle that speed?

This may be a fine line but I draw a big difference between pedal assist bicycles, where you have to pedal to start and keep moving, but get electric help with no throttle and hopefully a assisted top speed of 20mph or so and electric motorcycles, which pedals or not, don't need to be pedaling to start and keep going and have a throttle. the former are a great help to people who may not otherwise bike and the later should be treated like motorcycles and should not be on trails and mups at all, especially the idiot with that fat tire bike who does not slow for anyone...or the pack of one wheel riders.
Brakes are now from modern dual pivot calipers. This paired with modern alloy rims sees me with fairly decent braking.

As per my speed, 60kph is my maximum speed, in optimum conditions, ie smooth road, no other people, no pedestrian side roads etc.
Old 01-31-22, 07:56 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
You’ll go blind!
Old 01-31-22, 09:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
60 kph (37mph) on a MUP? Too damn fast regardless if you're pedalling or pushing a throttle. It's the reason motorcycles are outlawed on MUPs (and if you can hit 60kph, it's a motorized vehicle).

Sorry man, wrong forum to be bragging about this.
Old 01-31-22, 10:00 PM
spinnanz

Originally Posted by gugie
60 kph (37mph) on a MUP? Too damn fast regardless if you're pedalling or pushing a throttle. It's the reason motorcycles are outlawed on MUPs (and if you can hit 60kph, it's a motorized vehicle).

Sorry man, wrong forum to be bragging about this.
dont be sorry, I'm not.

If you can show me passing anyone at more than 20kph, I'd accept that, but I don't.

Me passing at 12kph is far less dangerous than the dog trying to bite the runner.

Old 01-31-22, 10:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Generally agree about those speeds on an MUP in general - but every location is different, and this path, in this specific instance, was the very exception necessary to make this test safe.

In this case, the MUP had only one crossing throughout the entire speed run, and has a perfect clear sight to anything up ahead with ample opportunities to scrub speed well in advance of any problem. As we see in the video, traffic was 100% clear during the run, and he quickly cut speed during his only interaction with pedestrian traffic. Granted, 12mph might have been a bit hot to ensure the pedestrians were ready for his approach, but knowing the runner was his neighbor may have influenced it too - and, of course, his actual passing speed, as mentioned above, was 7.45mph.

It doesn't take an electric motor to ride 12 or 7.45mph on a bicycle, so if any of you curmudgeons want to blame the approach on the motor in your frenzy to pin the problem on e-bikes, I'll gladly point out the bias in your logic.

Provided any further runs are done within these boundaries, I can't particularly fault it. That looked like a good half mile of MUP with the best sightlines one can ask for short of being dead straight - pretty much impossible to accidentally buzz someone here unless you're actively trying to be a jerk. Speaking of jerks, that dog owner hasn't either trained their animal to behave around others on an MUP - or simply avoided the MUP in accordance with their dog's nature. If your pet can't behave, don't take them on the MUP.

As for fun with overvolting: Nice work, and glad to see the sturdiness of a Raleigh Sports proven yet again. The forks may be a bit weak, but that rear triangle - especially on a pre-TI model with those beefy seatstays - can take some significant torque.

I tried 36V on a 24V 8Fun (Bafang) hub drive motor once. The max speed of 18mph lept up to 29; 31mph if one pushed it. Too fast for a whippy, mono-tubed aluminum frame, but a fun experiment to try once. We don't have enough uninhabited straightaways to warrant such a machine though. That goes for cars too.

-Kurt

P.S.: If anything, someone should be talking about that good - but probably not good enough - cable barrier separating that highway from the MUP.

Last edited by cudak888; 01-31-22 at 10:17 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-31-22, 10:25 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
So I posted my intend build a while back, and a few said don't do it. You will die, the bike will break etc. Well after doing about 4000km on it, I'm not dead, it's not broken and it's been a ton of fun.

Initially it was 300w. That's been well and truly smashed.

Here is where It's at now.....

https://youtu.be/MHPz1ovZ4Ic
What kit have you fitted to your bike?
Old 01-31-22, 10:32 PM
spinnanz

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What kit have you fitted to your bike?
The hub is from an EasyMotion EasyGoRace. The controller is a generic 48-72v China job.
Likes For spinnanz:
Old 01-31-22, 10:41 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
The hub is from an EasyMotion EasyGoRace. The controller is a generic 48-72v China job.
I was surprised at how quick you were able to go.

How does your bike handle steep hills?

Do you go through brake pads very quickly?
Old 01-31-22, 10:53 PM
spinnanz

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I was surprised at how quick you were able to go.

How does your bike handle steep hills?

Do you go through brake pads very quickly?
Hills I've found just "OK" as it's only a single gear, which is geared quite highly. On the odd occasion I do a hill ride, I back the amps off, to around 15a. My controller isn't programable so I do this by swapping shunt resistors.

The pads last 3-6 months or so, depending on where I ride. The brakes are now modern dual pivots.
Likes For spinnanz:
Old 01-31-22, 10:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Sent a link to my old-bikes-suck and e-bikes-rule friends.

OK, now for someone to make an e-Penny Farthing.
that's it, no pedals, hub motor.
Old 01-31-22, 10:57 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Hills I've found just "OK" as it's only a single gear, which is geared quite highly. On the odd occasion I do a hill ride, I back the amps off, to around 15a. My controller isn't programable so I do this by swapping shunt resistors.

The pads last 3-6 months or so, depending on where I ride. The brakes are now modern dual pivots.
wiring and switches derived from the movie Brazil?
Old 02-01-22, 06:58 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 345 Posts
Interesting, if a little scary.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 02-01-22, 07:06 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,003 Times in 1,105 Posts
Wrong Forum

There must be more appropriate places to post the promotion of this idea.

MODS? Please
move this thread to the motorbike forum.
Old 02-01-22, 07:17 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
It appears that you only pedal at lower speeds -- that most of your top speed run is fully motor-driven. This is not what I'd call an e-bicycle -- at best it is an e-moped.

Overclocked e-mopeds might be fun, but they're not, IMHO, e-bicycles and do not belong on MUPs -- I commute every day on a MUP, and there are a couple of commercial e-bikes that the riders have modified into high-speed e-mopeds that frequent that trail -- they are a serious menace, and are, unfortunately, creating a backlash against both bicyclists and sane, responsible people on actual e-bikes.

E-mopeds going 37 mph should be on the street, not on MUPs -- FWIW, I feel the same way about groups of young racers and wanna-be racers who ride at 20+ mph in packs on MUPs. Go find a road -- the MUP is not the place for that. Bah humbug!

The technical achievement shown here is pretty impressive, however. As far as the C&V goes, I'm ok with that -- if you'd done this to a Confente or a 1950s Herse, on the other hand...
Old 02-01-22, 07:22 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
that came out pretty sweet.. I have seen a couple vintage bikes done with the geared hub motors and they all look like a blast.
Old 02-01-22, 08:39 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Seems safer than the group rides doing weekly world championships. Nice job OP.
Likes For DonkeyShow:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.