Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't run the build costs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 01:08 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

So I was reading the 300+ dollar bike thread and was wondering if we were the audience for the thread so I priced out my builds for the last 18 months. I'm not nerdy so I don't keep track of what I put on the bikes or what I spend and if and if you combine it with the fact that it's been ongoing for the said 18 months the cost can be shocking (to me at least). I'm a whole lotta done buying bike anything for a good loooong while.

Ignorance is bliss
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 02-08-22, 03:21 PM
javier87gav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure that more than 90% of people in this forum is using wheels more expensive than 300$
Likes For javier87gav:
Old 02-08-22, 03:23 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by javier87gav
I'm pretty sure that more than 90% of people in this forum is using wheels more expensive than 300$
Which is why I questioned the thread.
Old 02-08-22, 03:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
I know what I've spent on each of my bikes, and my only regrets have been that I didn't spend more.
Old 02-08-22, 03:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
I'm pretty sure I spent the most on the bike I paid the least for.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-08-22, 03:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm pretty sure I spent the most on the bike I paid the least for.
If I read you correctly, yeah, bingo. It's cheapest to upgrade when you buy or build the bike.
Old 02-08-22, 03:51 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
As a long-time shop rat, I can say with absolute certainty that the general public thinks an expensive bike is one that costs $500. (They also think that riding to work "five miles each way" is an amazing feat of strength.)

For most cyclists, spending lots of money on bikes is just part of the cost of living. I'm just grateful that I chose this particular money pit, given some of the alternatives.
Old 02-08-22, 04:13 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I found a deal on a decent, brand new road frame last year: free. It's nothing special, just a Scattante (Performance Bike Shop's house brand), aluminum with carbon fork. A new old stock frame set someone had and decided he would never use, so he gave it to me. I thought, "Sweet deal! I'll build it up and sell it for an easy profit." I had a spare set of wheels, a seat and post, stem, handlebar, and a few small parts to put on it, so all I really needed to buy were shift/brake levers, derailleurs, calipers, crank, and a few odds and ends. I enjoy projects like this even if I don't make any money. I stayed pretty cheap with the parts I bought--no junk, but no high end stuff either. I'm into it $350, not counting the spares I'm giving away.

I listed it on a local classified website at $500 or best offer and only got a few nibbles. I've ridden the bike and can honestly say it is really nice. I'm going to try once again to sell it, and if I can't get at least 400, I'll keep it for myself.

If I'd bought the frameset, wheels, and everything to build this bike, it would easily run $800, and I believe it is comparable to new complete bikes going for at least that sum. Kind of hard to believe how quickly it adds up, and likewise how little interest there is for a like-new bike at this price.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 02-08-22, 04:16 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
No doubt, over the past 4 years, I have spent a lot of money on bike stuff. Also, no doubt, the used bikes that I have acquired and rebuilt, are not monetarily worth what I have put into them. I have also purchased quite a few tools in that time span, some will only be used a few times. I have no regrets because I have learned a lot, occupied a lot of time in a good, constructive way, and I have a now have a number of bikes that I very much like and enjoy. Having done at least 90% of that work myself has given me much satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment. That has also been quite a bit of frustration and second guessing in the what, why and how area. I could go back and get a pretty good estimate of the dollars, but I no not need to know, and it really does not matter now. How does one put a price on the feelings of accomplishment and learning?

Another side of that, for me; if I was living the same life style I lived for a long time, I would have spent considerably more on alcohol and drugs than I have on bikes, and that leaves nothing good to show for all the energy, time and money put into it. Not that I need justification or to rationalize, but that alone leaves me no room for regret directed at my spent bike dollars.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-08-22, 04:32 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
No doubt, over the past 4 years, I have spent a lot of money on bike stuff. Also, no doubt, the used bikes that I have acquired and rebuilt, are not monetarily worth what I have put into them. I have also purchased quite a few tools in that time span, some will only be used a few times. I have no regrets because I have learned a lot, occupied a lot of time in a good, constructive way, and I have a now have a number of bikes that I very much like and enjoy. Having done at least 90% of that work myself has given me much satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment.
My experience over the past eight years has been very similar. I have bought, sold, and fixed up quite a few bikes (bought more than sold, so I now have six or seven of them). I could never get back the money I have spent, but I have enjoyed it so much, it is not reasonable to think in terms of dollars spent vs. market value of the completed bikes. They are worth more to me than they would sell for, and they make me happy every time I ride or even look at one of them. I have a half dozen bikes now, and every one of them is very nice, according to my taste. That's the important thing.
Old 02-08-22, 04:57 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

...and yes, can confirm my wheels cost "a little" over $300! 🤫
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 02-08-22, 05:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
My experience over the past eight years has been very similar. I have bought, sold, and fixed up quite a few bikes (bought more than sold, so I now have six or seven of them). I could never get back the money I have spent, but I have enjoyed it so much, it is not reasonable to think in terms of dollars spent vs. market value of the completed bikes. They are worth more to me than they would sell for, and they make me happy every time I ride or even look at one of them. I have a half dozen bikes now, and every one of them is very nice, according to my taste. That's the important thing.
"How do you make a small fortune in used bikes? Start with a large fortune."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-08-22, 07:19 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ition-7-a.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...0-entries.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-favorite.html
Old 02-08-22, 07:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I bet there's a good number that have saddles over $300.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-08-22, 08:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Some people spend $ 300 dollars on a pair of bibs.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-08-22, 09:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Some people make their own paper spacers because they bought the budget cassette and the knockoff factory that made them copied everything but the spacing and quality and functionality but who needs that when you can just tear up some old toilet paper and jam it between your cogs.

I don't mind spending money on bikes, I prefer it to cocaine and hookers and in the end while my wallet is lighter I am in at least semi better shape because of it. Certainly my most recent bike has gotten me riding much of this year and going out a lot more at times I would have said "yeah no I am too this or that". In the end I will take that all day every day.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-08-22, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I bet there's a good number that have saddles over $300.
Guilty as charged. If I added up what I have spent on saddles over the years…..

Old 02-08-22, 10:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
“Don’t run the build costs” is the mantra of anyone into restoring or hot rodding classic cars. Even though the difference in build costs between bikes and classic cars is practically logarithmic, the adage still holds since it is all relative.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-08-22, 11:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I know what I've spent on each of my bikes, and my only regrets have been that I didn't spend more.
I have to add a couple words, mine is that I didn't have more to spend but my budget has to be balanced between far too many bikes and people.
Old 02-08-22, 11:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
So I was reading the 300+ dollar bike thread and was wondering if we were the audience for the thread so I priced out my builds for the last 18 months. I'm not nerdy so I don't keep track of what I put on the bikes or what I spend and if and if you combine it with the fact that it's been ongoing for the said 18 months the cost can be shocking (to me at least). I'm a whole lotta done buying bike anything for a good loooong while.

Ignorance is bliss
While I get the humor of the post, there is a very good reason to track what you spend on bikes and what you parts you have on the bike. I haven’t had too many bikes stolen but when I did, I was glad that I had a list of parts. My insurance does replacement value but they need to know what they are replacing and they gave me enough to replace the bike with something just as good, if not somewhat better. I keep most of my receipts as well (digital copies work).

My wife, on the other hand, doesn’t see the list of bikes nor their cost. Best not to stir that pot.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-08-22, 11:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Some people spend $ 300 dollars on a pair of bibs.
Some of us pay that much for a brake caliper

And I have 5 of them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-09-22, 12:43 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Some of us pay that much for a brake caliper

And I have 5 of them.
Or a bike tool, gotta have my pro stands. Sadly, I also have multiples.

Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-09-22, 01:18 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
In my 50s,
I learned that I did not not have the power, skill, or aggressiveness
to exceed the capabilities of racing bicycles
from when I started cycling in my 30's.

So after building CF, Ti, and steel with Ergo10sp (thru 2005),

I returned to my vintage roots. Evolving to quality lugged steel frames, 5,6,7sp freewheels on tubular wheels (mostly) etc.

But then I would be hard pressed to roll 17 miles in an hour on a flat course, solo on a 22 pound bike (but maybe on a good day last year!)

My costs have to be looked at over about 15 years of actively collecting & selling & trading bikes from the '80s, '70s mostly.
Priceless - and most for a few hundred $$$ built up from framesets and parts bin. Now, expensive tubular and clincher tires - that's a high build cost = everytime!

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-09-22 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-09-22, 01:42 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

I don't regret the money spent I was just surprised how much it ended up being since it was spent a couple hundred at a time after the initial frame purchase.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 02-09-22, 02:03 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I had a real nice post all typed up detailing how much the money I spent was all worth it for all the good times; Worth it for that one last score.

In the end, I just deleted the post. I realized I had hit rock-bottom.

How many times have I told myself that the last light weight component I bought from that stranger really was what I needed to be happy? Of course, I said that every time.

Hi, all.
My name is Base2.
I am an addict.

Last edited by base2; 02-09-22 at 02:25 AM.
Likes For base2:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.