Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Sold my Gravel Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 02:21 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Sold my Gravel Bike

For the first time in 8-10 years I’m without a gravel (all-road) bike. I know I will own one again in the future, but for now I’m going to stick with my road bike, and my new FS mountain bike.

These are the main reasons and for me, together, they made a lot of sense:

- I have a custom steel frame road bike. It has Ultegra and Dura-Ace and for the last 15 years has been a dream to ride on roads. The gravel bikes I’ve owned have never fit this good and are no match for its road prowess
- the trails I ride most often are a two minute ride from my house. The gravel bikes I’ve owned do well on 80% of the trails, but the technical sections were always challenging (more than I was comfortable with). With the mountain bike I can comfortably ride proper mountain bike trails
- the closest gravel roads are a 30 minute ride away on paved roads, and they’re pot-holed and sometimes washboarded (even my 27.5x2.1 tubeless tires were meh on them). There are not many of these gravel roads where I live

If I didn’t already own a road bike I love, I would absolutely choose an all-road bike in place of a road bike. But I would probably still buy a mountain bike.

Cool think is if/when I one day buy another gravel bike I get the whole N+1 experience all over
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 02-24-23, 02:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Do what works for you. I have a road bike for doing long easy miles and fast group rides. I have a MTB for when I want to just be in the dirt and ride technical stuff. For me, my gravel bike is the perfect machine for linking different combinations of pavement and dirt that I wouldn't do on my other bikes. I'm keeping them all!
Old 02-25-23, 09:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
If you don't have gravel roads nearby, it makes sense to not have a gravel bike.
Pretty straightforward.