Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Old 10-15-23, 10:29 PM
facewizard

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 2012 Trek Earl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm new here! I'm a bike commuter and occasional longer-ride adventurer who has lived on the west side of LA for the last 8-9 years. My car access in that time has been off-and-on, and the times when I didn't have a car, I commuted via various small and strange electric vehicles (I had an urb-e for a while, haha) and at one point a kick scooter (I was doing 5 miles daily on an adult-sized Razor scooter for about three months ). About 2.5 years ago I swapped over to just using my bicycle.

Becoming a more confident urban commuter led to me trying to bike every road in my LA town (currently over 90%). In the process I have partially completed all the neighboring communities as well. The thing I like best about biking is the way it lets me see every inch of my city, including the inches people don't generally go to look at on purpose, or places where I'm not technically expected or allowed to be, haha. Recently I've begun trying out more climbing roads in the Santa Monica mountains, too.

I mainly ride a steel Kona Rove as a do-everything bike--it's great for both dirt roads and potholes and it makes my commute feel like a ride on a hovercraft.

Despite all that, I joined this website partially to learn more about vintage bikes. Over the last month or so, I began rebuilding a vintage Japanese bike for a friend of mine. I'm no great mechanic, but it's been fun to break it down, clean the rust off it, replace the broken components, and start putting all the bits back together! After cleaning and rebuilding this bike, I may be doing the same to my parents' college bikes (also 1970s Japanese models). I grew up watching my dad work on his Fuji S-10-S in the garage so I'm excited to learn a lot of those skills for myself.
Likes For facewizard:
Old 01-02-24, 01:11 PM
ui127

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I used to be an extremely casual rider in Chicago with whatever hybrid bike I had handy. I certainly miss the lakefront trail but moved out to Orange County, CA in 2022 and have really been enjoying the diversity of options out here. I bought a Specialized Diverge gravel bike and it's been great. I don't have aspirations right now for large group rides or races so it seems like this bike can pretty much do it all for me. I prefer off-road trails because drivers freak me out around here - I've hit most of the good paved options in OC so far but need to put some more effort into finding some gravel/off-road options. I'd also like to check out the scene up north in LA!
Likes For ui127: