Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Two people in 2 person tent

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Two people in 2 person tent

Old 03-07-23, 07:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
For others…I bought an REI Quarter Dome 2 a few years ago to save wear and tear on my BA Fly Creek 2. I really like it. Pretty light and roomy, and two good doors and vestibules. But I have never used it with two people.
Old 03-07-23, 12:03 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
A designated "2 person tent" is very subjective by the manufacturer. I've owned tents that have been labeled "2 person" that had only 27 square feet of flooring (and not all of that was usable) vs. another "2 person" tent that had 37 square feet of all usable space. The latter I would feel very comfortable in sharing with my wife but not the first. In other words, IMO purchase by useable square footage and not just by the manufacturer's designation.
Likes For robow:
Old 03-07-23, 11:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by bkkboy
Thanks guys. This is the Decathlon tent I will buy in Germany. I bought one last year and left it behind when I returned home. The vestibule is almost non-existent. The difference in weight between the 2-person and 3-person tent is only 1kg, but it is a lot bigger to attach to handlebars. The 2-person is $49.99, the 3-person is $69.99. A cheaper no-name model with a good tarp is a good idea.
I have the 2 person model, and it can sleep 2 people fine, but there is no room for baggage. Even the vestibule is only large enough to hold your shoes. However, I can say it is very rain proof.
Old 03-12-23, 07:14 PM
Trueblood

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
The Naturehike Opalus is a bit more money, like $229, but has a massive vestibule. 5.5 lbs

Old 03-12-23, 09:00 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I agree with other posts. If two people are compatible with close proximity for days/weeks at a time a 2-person tent should be fine. Get a light weight tarp to cover gear. I also agree you should buy the tent before you go. If you don't then you are basically at the mercy of what is available at your destination. That might not be a problem, or might be a problem. Better to not have to worry about one more thing.
Old 03-13-23, 04:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
read post 25 for the fellows intentions, he has his mind set.
Likes For djb:
Old 03-13-23, 06:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
The Naturehike Opalus is a bit more money, like $229, but has a massive vestibule. 5.5 lbs

You have a nice tent. I have seen several Hilleberg tents like that too. But, some campsites with limited space could be difficult to fit that in.
Old 03-13-23, 10:56 AM
Trueblood

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You have a nice tent. I have seen several Hilleberg tents like that too. But, some campsites with limited space could be difficult to fit that in.
Oh, I don't own this one, but it is one of several that I am considering. The OP mentioned needing a large vestibule, so it leapt to mind. I hope I don't ever have to setup at a site with tents that close together....
Old 03-13-23, 03:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Trueblood
Oh, I don't own this one, but it is one of several that I am considering. The OP mentioned needing a large vestibule, so it leapt to mind. I hope I don't ever have to setup at a site with tents that close together....
The ACA trips I have done, they sometimes only get a few campsites for the whole group and the tents are pretty close to each other.

I got the Big Agnes in the photo below on a clearance price from REI, better than half price. I have used it for some kayak trips and one bike trip, but it is so huge that it can be hard to fit into some campsites. This has been out of production for half a decade or more. Super Scout model.

I had a lot of stuff on that two week kayak trip, so the HUGE vestibule came in handy. But the fly for the entire tent is about 15 feet long, so you need a lot of real estate. I have only used this tent on a trip where I was sure that the tent area would not be crowded at any of the places I might set it up.

I call it my circus tent.
Old 03-13-23, 04:00 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I haven't been anywhere so crowded that the tents didn't fit due to crowding, but have been places where the cleared area was too small due to rocks, trees, brush...
Old 03-14-23, 07:00 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The ACA trips I have done, they sometimes only get a few campsites for the whole group and the tents are pretty close to each other.
I crossed paths with their Cycle Montana ride one day. The tents were pretty close. They set up some tour-related shelter and table in the area I liked to pitch my tent (I had stayed there twice before.) so I had to pitch among the masses.

I’ve done Bon Ton twice and Cycle Oregon four times. There were some nights where tents were almost touching.
Old 03-14-23, 07:48 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I crossed paths with their Cycle Montana ride one day. The tents were pretty close. They set up some tour-related shelter and table in the area I liked to pitch my tent (I had stayed there twice before.) so I had to pitch among the masses.

I’ve done Bon Ton twice and Cycle Oregon four times. There were some nights where tents were almost touching.
me too with organized events.
Holy Snoring Situation Batman!
a bit of a drag in that respect, the rest was ok, but being so close to snorers really made you remember to bring good ear plugs. Not getting a good nights sleep is a real killer for affecting you the next day.
Old 03-14-23, 01:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by indyfabz
... There were some nights where tents were almost touching.
My current tent for bike touring is not self supporting, have to stake out guy lines about a foot and a half long (or a half meter), thus my tent "area" on the ground is a bit bigger than most that use self supporting tents with only one or two guylines. When I am camped at sites where it is a bit crowded, people keep tripping over my guy lines and they pull the stakes out when they do that.

Fortunately only the ACA group was camped at this campground, thus we had enough room to spread out some.

Old 03-14-23, 01:38 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
me too with organized events.
Holy Snoring Situation Batman!
a bit of a drag in that respect, the rest was ok, but being so close to snorers really made you remember to bring good ear plugs. Not getting a good nights sleep is a real killer for affecting you the next day.
During a two-night stay at Keuka College during the 2014 Bon Ton the GF and I were pitched next to a REALLY loud snorer the first night. I actually got out of our tent and shook his a couple of times. He even apologized the next morning. There was no level enough ground for us to move. So, for the second night, we slept on big couches in a common area of one of the dorms after watching TdF coverage. We didn’t have key cards to get back in, so I went and got our sleeping bags and pillows out of the tent while the GF waited in the dorm to let me back in.

During my 13-people cross country tour, we identified the 4 chronic snorers early on and made them pitch as far away from the rest of the group as possible.