Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Shorter crank arms, saddle height and set-back?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 02-21-23, 03:14 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts

About a year or so ago, I decided to try 165mm crank-arms (Shimano GRX 46/30T, previously 172.5mm). [I have short legs for my height, but also large (size 47) feet, so it wasn't clear it would be an improvement. I also have sub-optimal range of motion in my right ankle and possibly hips.] I've raised the saddle by about 7mm, which has also resulted in a small additional set-back.

I've read several times now that when people go to a shorter crank-arm length, they often find they have to further increase saddle set-back.

Is this true? It seems counter-intuitive to me. If anything, I would have expected that they might have to slam the saddle further forward to counter the small additional set-back that by necessity results from raising the saddle at an angle, in order to preserve the initial reach.

So, which is true?
Old 02-21-23, 06:57 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
My take on crank length changes is that you are still pedaling around the same center point, so there is no reason to change your saddle height or set back. Any change you make to satisfy one part of the pedal arc is just going to make another part twice as far off.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-22-23, 09:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I don't see any reason for any to have stated the setback must change. Although you do have to change your saddle height, the change to reach is miniscule.

Perhaps it was just those that were wowed by the Benson&Hedges commercials of the mid 60's... "A silly millimeter longer"
Old 02-22-23, 04:15 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
We have one that says change nothing, another that says change height but not setback. Do we have one for change setback but not height, or change both?

How much shorter did you go?
Old 02-22-23, 04:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
How much shorter did you go?
From OP:

I decided to try 165mm crank-arms (Shimano GRX 46/30T, previously 172.5mm).
​​​​​​​Hang on, let me get my calculator.

7.5mm
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-22-23, 04:36 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
From OP:

​​​​​​​Hang on, let me get my calculator.

7.5mm
Look at it this way. You just reduced your total leg extension by 7.5 mm, or a half centimeter and some change. Unless you were overextending to finish your stroke with the 172.5s, I'd raise the saddle.

As for setback, think of it this way. The power phase of the pedal stroke is from 45 to 135 degrees. You moved the point where you apply force back, but the location of the fulcrum remains the same. Regarding setback, use your judgement. I'd try back a couple millimeters just to see what happens, but it probably won't make much difference.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 02-22-23, 09:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Kontact
My take on crank length changes is that you are still pedaling around the same center point, so there is no reason to change your saddle height or set back. Any change you make to satisfy one part of the pedal arc is just going to make another part twice as far off.
What might be slightly interesting in this context is that this is a custom bike, where everything seemed perfect, except the builder's recommended saddle height. I've always had to keep it a bit lower to be comfortable, but had the sensation that it was too low. However, it caused pain when I raised it to the recommended position. Now it is within 1mm of the recommended position (which is as close as I can measure it, realistically). If I had added an additional 7.5mm to the recommended height to compensate for the shorter cranks, it would have been impossible to ride with stability.
Old 02-22-23, 09:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Some set back could be good, when the pedal is at the 3 o'clock position your foot has moved 7.5mm back, raising the height negated some of this but hardly any if you only went up a tiny bit. The old standby of dropping a plumb from your knee to the spindle is still a good indicator of how your seat setback is and if you should move it.
Old 02-22-23, 10:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I've been using the position of the greater trochanter of the femur in line with the frame's seat tube and BB.
Old 02-23-23, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

That's essentially the same reasoning as KOP's. I don't agree with KOP's other than to serve as a starting point that might vary widely on ones preference and desires and things like whether or not the rider finds that they have to constantly push or pull their butt back into position on the saddle.

If it works well for you in all cases, then that's good. It doesn't work well for me.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-23-23, 03:48 PM
oldbobcat

I've always had to keep it a bit lower to be comfortable, but had the sensation that it was too low. However, it caused pain when I raised it to the recommended position. Now it is within 1mm of the recommended position (which is as close as I can measure it, realistically). If I had added an additional 7.5mm to the recommended height to compensate for the shorter cranks, it would have been impossible to ride with stability.
Then don't.

It's your job to figure out whether that instability is from too much leg extension or something else going on with your balance or posture. Maybe your legs would prefer to make up the extension with setback. Maybe they're happy the way they are. They're your legs. If something doesn't work for you, stop doing it.

Regarding it being a custom frame, don't put too much stock in the builder's specification. They're working off charts that convert your measurements into bike dimensions. They're not perfect or omniscient.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 02-23-23 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 02-27-23, 04:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
This is exactly in line with this well-respected UK fitter's advice

https://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm#1

"The usual assumption is that as cranks shorten, the saddle height can go up by a similar amount. This sounds entirely intuitive as saddle height is often defined as the extension of the leg and shorter cranks will result in less extension through the bottom of the stroke. My experience of fitting many people before and after crank length changes is that this is not always the case and depends how you set your saddle height in the first place. An ideal saddle height is in a narrow window or 'sweet spot' between being too high and too low. If you have found this spot, either through trial and error or a good Bike Fitting, the likely scenario is that changing your crank length will result in no requirement to change the saddle height. Essentially the sweet spot is in the same place"

Given your restricted mobility I would try starting off from your original saddle height i.e. equally less leg extension and compression. Also I don't see how crank length has any direct relation to saddle setback.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-03-23, 05:53 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Interesting topic. Following.
Old 03-14-23, 04:50 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

About a year or so ago, I decided to try 165mm crank-arms (Shimano GRX 46/30T, previously 172.5mm). [I have short legs for my height, but also large (size 47) feet, so it wasn't clear it would be an improvement. I also have sub-optimal range of motion in my right ankle and possibly hips.] I've raised the saddle by about 7mm, which has also resulted in a small additional set-back.

I've read several times now that when people go to a shorter crank-arm length, they often find they have to further increase saddle set-back.

Is this true? It seems counter-intuitive to me. If anything, I would have expected that they might have to slam the saddle further forward to counter the small additional set-back that by necessity results from raising the saddle at an angle, in order to preserve the initial reach.

So, which is true?
Did you have any pains that prompted you to go to shorter crank arms? Right now I'm dealing with back issues and sciatica and wondering if shorter crank arms might help.
Old 03-14-23, 08:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Lombard
Did you have any pains that prompted you to go to shorter crank arms? Right now I'm dealing with back issues and sciatica and wondering if shorter crank arms might help.
No (apart from pedal strikes). Wife has knee pain, so we got her a shorter crank too.
Old 03-15-23, 05:31 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

No (apart from pedal strikes). Wife has knee pain, so we got her a shorter crank too.
OK, thanks. Pedal strikes have never been a problem for me, but come to think of it, toe overlap is a problem on my road bike.
Old 03-15-23, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

OK, thanks. Pedal strikes have never been a problem for me, but come to think of it, toe overlap is a problem on my road bike.
Is it an actual problem or just a potential problem?

I just can't ever see toe overlap as a problem since on most bikes when going at anything more than 2 mph, turning the wheel far enough to strike the toes will be a wreck in progress even if there is no toe overlap.

My son tried to start off from a red light once with his wheel still turned and toe overlap reared it's ugly head. But that was more funny than it was dangerous. At least from a viewers perspective! <grin>
Old 03-15-23, 03:33 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is it an actual problem or just a potential problem?
Potential problem in certain situations like very tight turns at low speeds. There is this very tight turn I sometimes have to make all while climbing a hill. With my size 12's, I need to be very careful where my pedals are.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-27-23, 07:36 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Nothing like sciatica but having moved two bikes to 165 from 172.5 and a 175 I do believe it has helped with the arthritis that has found my lower back. Trying slight shifts in saddle position I am surprised that I am more or less settled on BB to saddle nose and saddle height no changes.
Old 05-11-23, 05:31 PM
BFC

Bikes: Cervelo R5ca, Giant TCR Advanced, Neil Pride, Cervelo P5x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For shorter cranks, you will need to increase the saddle height accordingly (plus just a little more) then push saddle slightly forward to achieve same SSB.
Likes For BFC:
Old 05-11-23, 07:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Potential problem in certain situations like very tight turns at low speeds. There is this very tight turn I sometimes have to make all while climbing a hill. With my size 12's, I need to be very careful where my pedals are.
I have size 12 shoes and short legs (therefore smaller bike -- 54), so toe overlap is an issue.
Old 05-12-23, 05:22 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by BFC
For shorter cranks, you will need to increase the saddle height accordingly (plus just a little more) then push saddle slightly forward to achieve same SSB.
Maybe. Rather you CAN increase the saddle height. But really, your knee flexion will be the same on the upstroke, so you don't really need to.
Old 05-12-23, 06:43 AM
BFC

Bikes: Cervelo R5ca, Giant TCR Advanced, Neil Pride, Cervelo P5x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe. Rather you CAN increase the saddle height. But really, your knee flexion will be the same on the upstroke, so you don't really need to.
1. Shorter crank arms will drop the foot at 12 o'clock so the rider will have less knee flexion by just installing shorter crank arms, but, the byproduct of this will be an increased knee flexion at 6 o'clock.
2. To accommodate the same 6 o'clock knee angle, you will need to raise the saddle height to get the rider back to the same 6 o'clock knee angle position as before, which will open the knee angle at the 12 o'clock position even more.
So not sure how you are calculating the knee flexion (12 o'clock position) will be the same?
Old 05-14-23, 07:20 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by BFC
1. Shorter crank arms will drop the foot at 12 o'clock so the rider will have less knee flexion by just installing shorter crank arms, but, the byproduct of this will be an increased knee flexion at 6 o'clock.
2. To accommodate the same 6 o'clock knee angle, you will need to raise the saddle height to get the rider back to the same 6 o'clock knee angle position as before, which will open the knee angle at the 12 o'clock position even more.
So not sure how you are calculating the knee flexion (12 o'clock position) will be the same?
I meant your knee flexion will be less on the upstroke even if you don't raise your saddle. True that knee flexion will be more at the bottom of the stroke, but is that really a problem? It's on the upstroke that is the issue.