Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Problem with this forum's censorship settings

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 03-14-23, 07:16 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts

Hello?
I recently put up a post in General Cycling showing how I have a collection of cycling videos hosted on a British-run video hosting site. Because the first five letters of the single word used as the name of the video-hosting site happens to be the same as a word used in the USA to describe a female dog, this forums moderator decided to move the thread to a section on politics and religion ??? The right thing to do would be to simply make an exception in the forum's settings to recognize that the title of this video hosting website, which is the U.K.'s equivalent of the USA's YouTube is not a "bad word" instead of having it censored so that nobody using this video hosting service can reference it here.
Old 03-14-23, 07:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I wonder if hiding the actual URL from view, would have worked. like
Old 03-14-23, 08:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
The thread was moved because OP and at least one other person couldn't keep politics out of their posts.
As far as the suggestion of displaying the video directly, I am not sure the system is set up to display videos from that site. And the site censor might still affect the URL. It's unlikely we will change that.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-14-23, 12:10 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The thread was moved because OP and at least one other person couldn't keep politics out of their posts.
As far as the suggestion of displaying the video directly, I am not sure the system is set up to display videos from that site. And the site censor might still affect the URL. It's unlikely we will change that.
No political party or politics were mentioned by anyone in the thread, and if you want to make that accusation then please quote the instance where something political was used ?

For those who are not computer savvy, the word "Bit" in reference to computing describes an amount of digital information made up of bytes, and of course the word "chute" in the dictionary is "a slide used for conveying things".

To suggest that it is impossible or even difficult in 2023 to tweak software so that it can not get around a simple censorship problem like this is a lie or incompetence, neither of which is a good look for those using them.

Then of course there is the claim of the moderator "Because I don't want to censor this", which is laughable after they moved the thread to a part of the forum that does not have public access nor access by any of the participants accused of being "political" in the first place, which makes the proclamation by the moderator "where you can be free to continue your political observations." another lie.

So the forum loses the use of a public video platform used without problem by 2.6 million people daily, and it makes itself look as political as it accuses others of being.
Likes For beng1:
Old 03-15-23, 07:40 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
No political party or politics were mentioned by anyone in the thread, and if you want to make that accusation then please quote the instance where something political was used ?

For those who are not computer savvy, the word "Bit" in reference to computing describes an amount of digital information made up of bytes, and of course the word "chute" in the dictionary is "a slide used for conveying things".

To suggest that it is impossible or even difficult in 2023 to tweak software so that it can not get around a simple censorship problem like this is a lie or incompetence, neither of which is a good look for those using them.

Then of course there is the claim of the moderator "Because I don't want to censor this", which is laughable after they moved the thread to a part of the forum that does not have public access nor access by any of the participants accused of being "political" in the first place, which makes the proclamation by the moderator "where you can be free to continue your political observations." another lie.

So the forum loses the use of a public video platform used without problem by 2.6 million people daily, and it makes itself look as political as it accuses others of being.
Because of the accusation that we censor, I moved it to the appropriate subforum. If you do not have access, on the heading of the subforum, it states how you can obtain access. You did not request it. Please feel free to do so, and you will be given access.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-15-23, 07:41 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1

It is in the thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-16-23, 08:15 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11890 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,414 Posts
Mr. Beng1, Suggestions & Assistance is not the appropriate platform for discussing moderation and rules. I would invite you to continue this discussion in private with either myself or with head administrator Siu Blue Wind. Just pop us a PM, anytime. Thank you!

This thread is closed.
Likes For BillyD: