Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Homeless on SGRT in Seal Beach... Police involved

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 03-15-22, 05:22 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts

On the SGRT across from the power station in Seal Beach (West side of ditch) there were 8 police cars, a trash truck, large stake bed truck and a smaller pickup truck and they appeared to be cleaning up the homeless encampment that has been growing there for some time. The guys working the trash truck seemed to be suited up in protective garb. I haven't been on that route for a little while and didn't realize how big the encampment had become.

Just a PSA I guess.
Old 03-15-22, 06:31 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Yeah, it looks like LASD and LACo Public Works are keeping the northern section of SGRT above Santa Fe Dam clear as well. I imagine there are still campers in the riverbed itself but at least the bike path is clear. Keeping LARIO Park closed is also helping but at the price of no public access. This has been an on-again-off-again problem dating back to at least the 1980's when I first noticed people bathing in the San Gabriel River above the Pico Golf Course.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 03-15-22 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-15-22, 06:42 PM
TakingMyTime

I rode North from El Dorado Park to the Pico Dam about 2 weeks ago and the route was quite clear of homeless.
Old 03-17-22, 07:44 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
....This has been an on-again-off-again problem dating back to at least the 1980's when I first noticed people bathing in the San Gabriel River above the Pico Golf Course.
I think the same can be said about SART as well.

I've only gone down SGRT a few times with some friends and thought it was getting bad. Last ride on the trail was on New Year's Eve; we were literally dodging things like tents and bakery carts.
Old 03-17-22, 08:27 AM
TakingMyTime

The Police and cleanup crews were out there the next day. They seem to be making a concerted effort to dismantle that particular encampment.
Old 03-17-22, 02:44 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
It really makes financial sense to not allow the encampments to get started when one considers the cleanup and hazmat expense, let alone the human expense of crime, homelessness, substance abuse, untreated mental health issues and loss of property values (see SART) when local governments choose to do nothing.
Old 03-18-22, 11:53 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
It really makes financial sense to not allow the encampments to get started when one considers the cleanup and hazmat expense, let alone the human expense of crime, homelessness, substance abuse, untreated mental health issues and loss of property values (see SART) when local governments choose to do nothing.
I'm on the SART almost weekly in the early AM and its not unusual to see an OC Sheriff or local PD vehicle(s) patroling it, either on the path on top of the levee on driving the river bottom where its concrete. Very few folks you could label as homeless on or next to the river; there's an occasional person, but they appear to be just 'overnighters' and not setting up housekeeping. The last time I saw anyone regularly was about two years ago down in HB under the Hamilton Ave bridge, but they disappeared after the crawl space under the bridge was blocked with welded heavy fencing and some concrete (look up the rip-rap slope next time you go under it).
Old 12-14-22, 04:41 AM
ParkerTorres23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never ridden in that area, but this summer, I was riding a lot around New York, and there were so many homeless people around. Before I started riding a bike, I had no idea that the problem was so serious. And it actually inspired me to write about it because I'm a uni student, and I had to write about one of the issues. And when I saw that scene, I decided to write about homelessness. I wrote about my experience and opinion on it, and also, thanks to the homelessness essay samples you can check here, I came up with an interesting topic - homelessness - results of a person's decisions or destiny. I also think about creating a questionnaire and asking people what they think. I personal;y think that homelessness is a consequence of a person's decisions or activities.

Last edited by ParkerTorres23; 12-14-22 at 02:04 PM.