Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Looking at new frame and Fit

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 09-20-22, 08:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts

I currently have a Trek Emonda ALR in a 54 and a Trek Domane in a 52. The Emonda ALR fits me like a glove and absolutely love the bike. When I was looking for a new bike a couple of years ago, I had a hard time deciding if I wanted the Emonda SLR or the Domane SLR, I really liked both, but ultimately decided to go with the Domane. After a couple of years, I've really come to the conclusion, that I want a more aggressive riding position than the Domane can provide. I figure I can find a frame that will get me something close the ALR and I should be in good shape. I run my stem negative, so even my head tube is fairly long on the ALR, I kind of negate some of the relaxed position. I also run my Domane in the negative.

I've been looking at a couple of different frames, and many of them are =\- 5 to 10 mm of my Emonda ALR which I am sort of using as a basis, but I noticed that the Emonda SLR has a much shorter head tube and that sort of concerns me long term that it could be too aggressive based on my current frames and how I have them setup now. A lot of the other points are exactly the same or within a few mm and while I am not racing, I thought I could have them fork cut a few mm longer to allow for some relief of that difference, nothing major, just 2 or 3mm.

Would this large of a difference cause you any concern ?

Old 10-04-22, 01:14 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
15 years ago, when Trek offered the Madone in H1, H2, and H3, I told our district manager what they really needed was H1.5. He kinda scoffed at me, but now we have it.

The extra reach you're seeing is gained by the lower head tube. If you raise the stem with spacers it will bring the reach in. If you raise the bar with a taller stem angle, reach will decrease further by an amount that might be negligible. Over the years the Madone-Emonda geometry hasn't changed, except for head tube heights.

Look at the current setup of your ALR. With stem angle and spacers, can you duplicate your current handlebar height?

9 years ago I relented and bought the H2 Madone. My position is pretty much in the '70s Belgian zone, flatter than French with more reach than current pro fashion. To achieve that I use a -10 degree Pro stem, a 4 mm cone spacer, and one 2 mm spacer. Now that my dream of H1.5 is a reality, if I traded up, I would use the stock 10 mm cone, a -6 degree stem, and make up the rest of the difference with stem spacer. I'd roughly estimate about 1.4 cm. But at my age this Madone will probably be my last drop-bar bike.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 10-04-22 at 01:22 PM.