Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropped chain vs Mavic wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dropped chain vs Mavic wheel

Old 03-17-23, 07:19 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Slightly out of tune limit screw or bent RD combined with a bump and/or shifting lots of gears at once carelessly can lead to this. I've had this happen once, fortunately at low speed and at the door of my house. Since it was low speed, nothing broke, but I had to remove the cassette to free the chain, wedged between the cassette and the hub. In my case it was my fault since I didn't adjust the RD well enough.

Dork discs, that we all hate and nobody uses (including myself), were designed to avoid exactly this.

I had always wondered what would happen if this happened at speed. Now I know.
Shifting lots of gears at once can cause them to go off the end of the cassette?

That's a new one on me.
Old 03-17-23, 07:41 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Shifting lots of gears at once can cause them to go off the end of the cassette?

That's a new one on me.
How about reading the whole phrase?

"Slightly out of tune limit screw or bent RD combined with a bump and/or shifting lots of gears at once carelessly can lead to this."

I think it was clear form my phrase that for this to occur there has to be a misadjusted RD.
Old 03-17-23, 08:38 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
I think it was clear form my phrase that for this to occur there has to be a misadjusted RD.
It was.
Old 03-17-23, 01:25 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Can't believe no one has mentioned this, but a perfectly tuned driveline with a perfectly aligned derailleur can be totally thwarted by an improperly installed rear wheel.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 03-17-23, 02:27 PM
smd4

Aren’t vertical dropouts nearly idiot proof?
Old 03-17-23, 05:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
no.
Old 03-17-23, 05:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
no.
Old 03-17-23, 06:46 PM
Kontact

How about reading the whole phrase?

"Slightly out of tune limit screw or bent RD combined with a bump and/or shifting lots of gears at once carelessly can lead to this."

If your derailleur is able to throw the chain off the last cog, I don't think it matters how many cogs it hopped over on the way there. That's what I was asking about. What is a big shift adding to the problem that exacerbates a loose L stop?

So no, it was not clear to me.
Old 03-17-23, 06:49 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Can't believe no one has mentioned this, but a perfectly tuned driveline with a perfectly aligned derailleur can be totally thwarted by an improperly installed rear wheel.
How? Even horizontal dropouts won't offset the cogs enough to matter before the tire is buried in one of the chainstays.
Old 03-17-23, 07:27 PM
Dan Burkhart 

How? Even horizontal dropouts won't offset the cogs enough to matter before the tire is buried in one of the chainstays.
An improperly seated axle in vertical dropouts can make the difference between a derailleur that clears the spokes and one that does not.
Old 03-17-23, 07:30 PM
smd4

An improperly seated axle in vertical dropouts can make the difference between a derailleur that clears the spokes and one that does not.
If we take Larry at his word, and look at the pictures he posted, it’s clear the chain dropped between the cogs and spokes, and the rear derailleur never got caught in the spokes.
Old 03-17-23, 09:57 PM
Kontact

How? Too low? Canted to one side? Caught on the axle end? Dropout resting against the locking?
Old 03-18-23, 12:24 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Bike has tight rim brakes it wasn't seated improperly, at least not terrible if not on the nose.
Old 03-18-23, 05:59 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
User error then blaming others for his misdeeds...boring, moving on...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-18-23, 06:30 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Everyone seems oddly certain that the derailleur broke the spokes. My experience is that the opposite is normal, and the derailleur and hanger would be trashed with the spokes intact. This seems like something else - like the chain cutting the spokes.

Which could be from a bent hanger or not.
This would be my guess.

It seems many here like to dump on LarrySellerz because of his posting history. In this particular case, we really don't who is to blame. If the hanger was bent, was it the shop that failed to check this or did the hanger get bent afterwards? Hangers can be bent quite easily, not just in a crash. If the bike falls on the DS, if someone taps the RD, the hanger can be bent. I had some a-hole on a club ride bump my RD with his front wheel which bent the hanger. I have also seen hangers get bent if there is a stiff chain link and the cage is pushed to its limit.

Last edited by Lombard; 03-18-23 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 06:33 AM
Dan Burkhart 

How? Too low? Canted to one side? Caught on the axle end? Dropout resting against the locking?
You have been in the bike biz a long time, right? I'm sure you have had times when someone brings you a bike complaining about the shifting and all you had to do was open the QR with the bike resting on the floor and the dropouts clunk into place on the axle, and viola, all fixed.
Old 03-18-23, 06:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
To be fair, he has manned up to having the wheel repaired. Still, there is some distance to go between dropping off the wheel and actually paying to retrieve it. I'm staying tuned, predict more drama to come.
Old 03-18-23, 09:20 AM
Kontact

You have been in the bike biz a long time, right? I'm sure you have had times when someone brings you a bike complaining about the shifting and all you had to do was open the QR with the bike resting on the floor and the dropouts clunk into place on the axle, and viola, all fixed.
I'm sorry; I have not had that experience. Nor do I understand how a wheel can be put in a frame in such a way that it is rideable, yet cassette and RD are working in different planes or are offset.
Old 03-18-23, 11:12 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
I'm sorry; I have not had that experience. Nor do I understand how a wheel can be put in a frame in such a way that it is rideable, yet cassette and RD are working in different planes or are offset.
Idiocy knows no bounds. At a bike shop I used to manage, a customer brought a recently repaired bike back, saying that the bike still wasn't working right. Turned out our non-stop-talker, easily distracted teenage mechanic (a) had screwed the rear skewer in far enough that it closed with only one end of the axle in the dropout and (b) had left the chain hanging below the cassette.

I hesitate to tell this story, but:

The first time I set up one of my bikes on my brand new smart trainer, I was a bit hasty and didn't get the 130/135-mm axle spacer in the right place and, consequently, didn't have the left end of the axle seated fully in the dropout. Climbed on the bike---crack. The right (carbon) seat stay now has a line running across it at the point where it narrows to meet the dropout. (The bike is OK for use on the trainer but is now useless on the road---with even minimal pedaling force, the rear tire rubs the chain stays and the chain jumps wildly from sprocket to sprocket.)

Not a rear wheel, but:

I was admiring a cute girl riding along at the start of a local bike club ride when I noticed that her boyfriend had tightened the front wheel skewer with one end of the axle in the dropout and one out. Stopped her, fixed it. "I thought the brake was maybe rubbing a little," she said. (Score one for the male gaze.)

[Edit: I agree that a rear wheel with one end of the axle in and the other out of the dropouts is unlikely to be able to be pedaled very far. With a non-indexed gearing setup, it might be possible, though.]

Last edited by Trakhak; 03-18-23 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 07:49 PM
LarrySellerz

On another bike that I crashed hard on, the rear rim brake was bend out of adjustment and I had to have the wheel not fully in one of the dropouts to stop the rubbing, but the gears were skipping/chain dropping in all gears (already happening but having the wheel askew in the dropout made it worse)
Old 03-18-23, 11:28 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
On another bike that I crashed hard on, the rear rim brake was bend out of adjustment and I had to have the wheel not fully in one of the dropouts to stop the rubbing, but the gears were skipping/chain dropping in all gears (already happening but having the wheel askew in the dropout made it worse)
You need to save up for Uber.
Old 03-19-23, 06:06 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
You seem to crash a lot. Are you a racer or do you just have bad luck?
Old 03-19-23, 07:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Not racing, not luck. "Other...."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-19-23, 08:13 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Not racing, not luck. "Other...."
I'm not going there.
Old 03-19-23, 01:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Lombard
I dont think I crash a lot.. this crash was due to a big lip in the road that I didn't see. Was during a group ride on the "recovery pace monday/wednesday/friday" ride so yeah id say I was racing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.