Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chainring orientation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chainring orientation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 09:27 AM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Chainring orientation

Today I changed the old chainring and stumbled into orientation problem. I have Sora crankset with 46-36 chainrings, the new one is 50T; the old 46T chainring is flat but the new one is slightly concave. When I oriented it the way the numbers are on outside then the concave teeth part os oriented towards the small chainring and chain is rubbing against big ring, here you can see the ring combination 1:

Turned the big ring and installed the other way around (fig. 2) and now the chain is happy, but I have some doubts if this is really correct way how to install the big ring. I am not an expert but for me the teeth looks that they should be the other way around; maybe someone more knowledgable can verify that the big chainring is positioned correctly? If it indeed needs to be turned around, should use some washers to move small ring further away from big ring to avoid chain rub? Here are some pics with teeth:

Last edited by zaje; 03-18-23 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 09:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I think you drew your illustration wrong. Or at least 1 is looking from the front of the bike and 2 looking from the rear of the bike.

For certain the big chain ring needs to have the ramp pins facing the small chain ring. The smaller ring I'd have to look at Shimano's tech doc website and pull up the crank specified by the numbers on the inside of the crank arm around the hole for the pedal spindle. Also you can probably put in the ring part numbers too and come up with the same info.

https://si.shimano.com/#/

If this doesn't automatically present in your preferred language, then look at the dropdown box in the upper right corner of the browser page. You might be able to pick a better suited language.

Welcome to BF!

Last edited by Iride01; 03-18-23 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 09:52 AM
zaje

Originally Posted by Iride01
I think you drew your illustration wrong. Or at least 1 is looking from the front of the bike and 2 looking from the rear of the bike.

For certain the big chain ring needs to have the ramp pins facing the small chain ring. The smaller ring I'd have to look at Shimano's tech doc website and pull up the crank specified by the numbers on the inside of the crank arm around the hole for the pedal spindle. Also you can probably put in the ring part numbers too and come up with the same info.

https://si.shimano.com/#/

If this doesn't automatically present in your preferred language, then look at the dropdown box in the upper right corner of the browser page. You might be able to pick a better suited language.

Welcome to BF!
Thanks for spotting mistake with drawing, corrected one is below. The old ring has the pin which was under the crankarm, the new one - no pin, this made me think of orientation.

Old 03-18-23, 10:03 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by zaje
Thanks for spotting mistake with drawing, corrected one is below. The old ring has the pin which was under the crankarm, the new one - no pin, this made me think of orientation.

That's the same illustration.

The chainring goes on as shown in the second photo. That should put the ring flaring to the outside for chain clearance and give you a recess for the chainring bolt heads to fit down into.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-18-23, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Check this link to the Service Instructions for several of their older cranks. Note what it says about ring orientation on the top right column.

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/si/1H...0A-001-ENG.pdf

Though also check and be certain this SI is for your crank. And also be certain that you got a ring that Shimano says is compatible with that model of crank.

If the Tech doc site is difficult for you to wade through, then let us know the part numbers of the crank and the ring that you are having trouble with and I or another can check if it is considered compatible by Shimano.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-18-23, 10:52 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
Orientation #2 is correct. They do this to improve clearance when riding the inner ring with the outer part of the cassette.

Note, that the ring sizes matter. If the inner ring is too large it will extend into the area where the gap is wider, an d allow the chain to jam between them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-18-23, 11:08 AM
zaje

Originally Posted by Iride01
check if it is considered compatible by Shimano.
Sora road crankset comes as 46-36 and 50-36 so I assume Sora 50T chainring is fine.
Old 03-18-23, 11:09 AM
zaje

Thanks all, it looks that the chain rubbing told me that I am doing wrong and you confirmed that the ring is now correctly installed
Likes For zaje: