Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for a FD for 2x9

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-20-23, 09:55 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts

Hi

I need advice regarding a 2x9 setup with brifters and a 36-22 MTB crankset. Motivation: 36-12 will give 20mph at the 90 rpm cadence with a 40-559 tire, 36-11 will give 22 mph -- it is enough for this bike. Most of the time it will be in the 36t chainring with 22t rarely used as a bailout.

Will a regular road double FD (specced for 46t-52t big chainring) work with a 36-22 crankset?

Some people say that Shimano mountain FD can be made to work with the road shifters despite the different cable pull - has anyone tried this? And what kind of shifters - old Sora 3500 or new Sora 3000 (which has a new cable pull for double)?

I know that there are solutions involving a bar end shifter or a thumb shifter, ideally I would run brifters as they are.
Old 03-20-23, 11:04 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i'd suggest that asking The CX page might get a better response.. someone here may be able to answer, but the CX crowd plays with that sort of thing (Drop bar brifters, Compact cranks/rings) more frequently.
And remember.. all those odd width changes and ridges in the front Der. Cage are there for specific reasons.. and the farther the tail of the Der. cage is from the chain ring, the more reluctant the shifting becomes.... a larger Radius in the cage equals a "farther from the Chainring" cage tail.

i'd try a TRIPLE derailleur and brifter, then set it up to ignore one shift with the Limit screws, maybe? Chainring spacing is the same between a double and a triple crankset...... and set the der. height as if the bigger outer ring was in place..... just an idea.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-20-23 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 05:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,317 Times in 2,702 Posts
It will truly be trial and error. I've found the humble Sora FD (old) to be very forgiving but your situation really calls for a friction front shift.