Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Help with starts on 2000 meter

Old 03-15-21, 08:37 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Help with starts on 2000 meter

So last weekend was my first practice session at Rock Hill with being held at the start of 500 meter and 2000 meter TT.
Starting with my stronger right leg at 10 o’clock tends to torque me into the cote de azur! I use standard drop bars, 38 cm.
Any way to practice my starts *off the track* without that banking to throw me offline?
Or any tips to correct my starts on the track? I am looking straight down the track, not at my front wheel!
Thanks,
-Robin (way too old for this)
Old 03-15-21, 09:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You can practice starts in an empty parking lot or quiet street on the track bike from a slow roll. I've also seen people set a 2x4 by the wheel of their car, put their rear wheel against the 2x4, and lean against the car for their start.
Old 03-15-21, 09:47 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Originally Posted by topflightpro
You can practice starts in an empty parking lot or quiet street on the track bike from a slow roll. I've also seen people set a 2x4 by the wheel of their car, put their rear wheel against the 2x4, and lean against the car for their start.
Yes, never noticed before but there is a beveled curb on my apt complex roadways that could simulate starting on the track banking. Slow roll to almost stop will work until i can do a track stand.
Old 03-15-21, 12:13 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Also, you noted that you are finding that you are diving down track on your starts. Some people actually use that to help them gain speed and move back up to black line before the sponges start.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-15-21, 12:55 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Also, you noted that you are finding that you are diving down track on your starts. Some people actually use that to help them gain speed and move back up to black line before the sponges start.
Oh, ok thanks!
Yes, I had been taught to use the banking above the black line to slightly speed up or slow down, such as in a paceline. That is a good idea.
My starts were going all wrong, but, yes, i did get back in the lane before the sponges.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-15-21, 01:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Start with the left foot forward for 2 reasons:

1: It pushes you up track to offset gravity pulling you down track.

2: Your first pedal stroke isn’t full. The second one is. This saves the first full stroke for your stronger leg.
Old 03-15-21, 02:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

“Rolling Starts” (where you roll as slow as you can manage to stay upright) are a great way to practice standing start mechanics without help. They can also be done solo when using toe straps. Further, the setup time is much faster than when doing starts with a holder.

It’s not a 100% substitute, but great for training.
Likes For carleton:
Old 03-15-21, 02:43 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by carleton
Start with the left foot forward for 2 reasons:

2: Your first pedal stroke isn’t full. The second one is. This saves the first full stroke for your stronger leg.
Ok!
That is why my very first start, with my *Left* pedal at 10 o’clock was a better start.
I will work on that way of starting.
Thanks so much!
Likes For Surfer77:
Old 03-16-21, 11:56 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
start with the left foot forward for 2 reasons:

+100
Old 03-18-21, 10:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Surfer77
Ok!
That is why my very first start, with my *Left* pedal at 10 o’clock was a better start.
I will work on that way of starting.
Thanks so much!
I'm glad to help.

Know that everything gets better with time and repetition. I recommend that all new racers spend as much time as possible on the track. Even if you are just riding laps or sitting in races that you may not have a chance to win. Soon, riding the curves will be second nature and you can focus on training and tactics.
Likes For carleton: